LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted November 21, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Texas Tech scores 167 points, and I don't mean the football team
By Eamonn Brennan
When Bob Knight was the coach at Indiana and, later, at Texas Tech, he emphasized team defense above all else. Team defense. It would win you games, and it would lose you games, and if you didn't get it right you had no place in Bob Knight's universe. Literally. He would expunge you from the universe. The logistics behind this were mind-boggling.

So one would assume his son, Pat Knight -- to whom Bob turned over his Texas Tech program last year -- would carry those same tenets. Growing up in Knight's household, playing for him, being around his teams ... it would be impossible not to coach like your father. But for at least one night, the younger Knight said eff it. His team gave up 115 points to East Central ... and scored 167. 167. In a 40-minute basketball game. This really happened.

It's by far the highest number of points scored in Texas Tech history, and also many more than Knight ever scored in his tenure at Texas Tech. The Red Raiders had -- get this -- 10 different players score in double figures. They shot .59 percent from the field and .52 percent from three. And they made my head hurt by just looking at their box score.

Edited by LaLa, November 21, 2008 - 03:45 PM.

Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users