Photo

What will the league criteria be for MVP this year? (Will we see double standards Kobe/Lebron)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would media choose as MVP under this scenario? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would media choose as MVP under this scenario?

1. Lebron James (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

2. Kobe Bryant (17 votes [73.91%])

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vahan

Vahan

Rookie

• 289 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 19, 2008 - 08:03 PM

Scenario:

1) Lakers go 70-12, league high in wins, #1 in West, #1 overall

Kobe Bryant: 26 ppg, 6 apg, 5 rpg, 2 spg (47% FG, 37% 3PT, 87% FT)

2) Cavs: 53-29, #3 in East

Lebron James: 31 ppg, 8 rpg, 7 apg, 2 spg (49% FG, 29% 3PT, 74% FT)

The description of the award is best player on the best team. That is why Dirk won in 2007 and why people win it in general. So will the media go back on its description and not repeat Kobe as MVP , going for the media posterchild Lebron James . Or will they stick with it?

Don't tell me who you think should win, but given that its voted on by the media, who do you think WILL WIN if this scenario presented itself?

Lakers 08-09 Champs

#2 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted November 19, 2008 - 08:10 PM

If the Lakers have a record with that scenario there cannot be no denying that Kobe will win the MVP again.
Posted Image

#3 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted November 19, 2008 - 10:15 PM

In that scenario, Kobe would most likely win it. However, if the Lakers don't have that kind of record, I'm not sure if Kobe would win. There are also other players besides Kobe and LeBron anyway so it doesn't necessarily have to be those two.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#4 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 19, 2008 - 10:51 PM

If we have the 1st/2nd best record in the league, I think Kobe is going to win it again, but IMO, stats + decent record should win. Let's say if kobe is averaging 20pts/4ast/4rbd/1.5stl/1blk and our record is 67-15 (1st in the west), and Lebron averages 29pts/6ast/8rbd/2.5stl/2blk and his record is 59-23 (3rd in the east), I would have to say that Lebron should win it ( I honestly DO NOT want to be a hippocrit from years past) ...... but ...... if Kobe were to average something higher such as 25pts/5ast/5rbd/2.5stl/1.5blk with our same record then I would go with Kobe, I would take the teams with the 5 BEST overall records and pick someone from that group, with a very good statline

Edited by phifedogg76, November 19, 2008 - 10:52 PM.

Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#5 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 01:53 AM

Kobe would win it in that scenario.

But in reality, Lebron will win it this year.

#6 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 03:23 AM

I'm really torn when it comes to deciding MVP's. My opinion is that the best player in the league, providing he has a decent record, should win it. In your scenario there, Kobe would win it. If our team record is THAT much better than the rest of the league, then no doubt, Kobe would win it. Unfortunately, I don't see the league wanting to give Kobe another league. LeBron, CP3 and Dwight are the main contenders. Of course, and as I said before, if Kobe is THAT much better, then the league will be forced to hand it over.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#7 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 07:08 AM

You overated the assits more like 4.6 and average 23.7 points

#8 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted November 20, 2008 - 08:58 AM

No offense, but this thread is pointless. Last season already showed there is no double standard. Last season, LeBron matched Kobe's best season record (45-37) during those transition years (2004-2007) when fans say Kobe should've won MVP, and he also had better stats last season. Kobe still won. End of debate.

The description of has never been the best player on the best team. It may seem that way if you started watching the NBA the last two seasons. It's the best player on an elite team, a contending team, and elite teams can win over 50 games, something Kobe's team didn't do in those transition years, and what LeBron's team didn't do last year.

Edited by daco_inc, November 20, 2008 - 08:59 AM.

#9 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:06 AM

No offense, but this thread is pointless. Last season already showed there is no double standard. Last season, LeBron matched Kobe's best season record (45-37) during those transition years (2004-2007) when fans say Kobe should've won MVP, and he also had better stats last season. Kobe still won. End of debate.

The description of has never been the best player on the best team. It may seem that way if you started watching the NBA the last two seasons. It's the best player on an elite team, a contending team, and elite teams can win over 50 games, something Kobe's team didn't do in those transition years, and what LeBron's team didn't do last year.

Ok, let's go to extremes.

Player A puts up 20-6-7 his team goes 62-20 and he is the star of the team.

Player B puts up 35-8-8, his team goes 45-37.

Who is more deserving of the MVP?

Edited by Darth Bynumite, November 20, 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#10 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Ok, let's go to extremes.

Player A puts up 20-6-7 his team goes 62-20 and he is the star of the team.

Player B puts up 35-8-8, his team goes 45-37.

Who is more deserving of the MVP?

Look up the 2005-06 season. See Nash's stats and Kobe's stats. Who won the MVP? There's your answer.

#11 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:20 AM

Look up the 2005-06 season. See Nash's stats and Kobe's stats. Who won the MVP? There's your answer.

I'm not asking about who WON the MVP, I'm asking who is more DESERVING?

#12 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hard to not give Kobe the MVP if we got 70 wins. That's historic.

#13 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:54 AM

I'm not asking about who WON the MVP, I'm asking who is more DESERVING?

Deserving? Well that just comes down to personal opinion. Personally, I think the better stats guy deserves it. I also thought Kobe deserved it in '06, and so did a lot of other people seeing that he received the 2nd most 1st place votes. Who would actually win it? I don't know, because that scenario isn't realistic. i mentioned the 05-06 MVP race, because that's the most realistic comparison, but i don't see your specific scenario ever happening. There's no way a guy with mediocre stats like that (by all-star standards) can be the outright star of the team, let alone lead a team to 60+ wins. The only way I see something like that happening is on a perfectly balanced team, where 2-3 other guys on that team have nearly identical stats, and there is no definite "star".

Edited by daco_inc, November 20, 2008 - 09:55 AM.

#14 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted November 20, 2008 - 10:25 AM

I'm not posting here to argue what the criteria is. Last season, I'm sure a lot of us, me included, were thinking, "If Kobe doesn't win the MVP, this crap is rigged. He did everything he was asked to do, so there's no reason he shouldn't win. If he doesn't, the media is clearly biased. blah blah blah, etc., etc." Well, Kobe won. In a landslide. This "double standards" debate should be over.

#15 ReaListik

ReaListik

Rookie

• 222 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 20, 2008 - 12:10 PM

Yeah if the Lakers are 70-12 and Kobe's playing at Kobe level he'll get the back-to-back MVP award. LeBron would have to average some unreal numbers, similar to Oscar Robertson(Triple doubles an entire season) or Wilt Chamberlain(50 point average) to seriously challenge Kobe.
"We are the goodest" - Shaq during an interview on ESPN.

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,225 posts

Posted November 21, 2008 - 12:34 PM

i love kobe but if lebron finishes the season with 30ppg 7rpg 7apg and his team stays on its current pace he fully deserves the MVP

we complained all those years about kobe getting jobbed and the double standards

well depriving lebron of the award is no different

if he produces like that and his team wins the 55 games they look on their way to doing he gets it IMO without a doubt in my mind and deservedly so

yes kobe played on bad teams but the best record they had was 47 wins thats why kobe didn't get it

lebrons got a really good team now

zydrunas
wallace
lebron
west
williams

gibson
pavlovic
varejo
wally

and he will most likely take that team to 55 wins posting outstanding numbers

therefore he will have a top 3 team with great statistical production

stop being homers and realize that is very deserving of the MVP

not to mention we aren't trying to win the MVP award kobe won that last year we are trying to win a title individual awards are not priority

only award i want is sixth man for lamar hes had such a bad rap and terrible life it would be great to see a guy like him win that award
Posted Image

#17 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted November 21, 2008 - 03:43 PM

LeBron willl win it, him and his Mandates will be voting mindlessly and saying how much better he is then Kobe

#18 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,981 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 21, 2008 - 04:19 PM

[b]

Another reason this is pointless is because the Cavs may well win 60 games. They are awesome, and I'm much, much, much more concerned about how we fare against them head2head this season, than how Kobe-Lebron do in the MVP voting.

I am completely over the MVP. Kobe got his, and may never focus on that award again. The NBA and the writers screw with that award just to keep us clicking on hyperlinks.

What other league tracks the MVP favorite on a weekly basis on its web-site.

Can you seriously see an MVP discussion in Major League Baseball in mid-April?

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#19 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 22, 2008 - 04:50 PM

guys i think most of you are missing the point. Kobe's stats were only a part of the reason we thought he should win the mvp a few years back. the other reason was the 81 point performance along with outscoring dallas through 3 quarters. Kobe was historic those years, plus he caarried the Lakers every night. He didnt even have a mo williams. Lebron has a decent squad around him. but if he continues to win while playing like he is now, then he will deserve it, if the lakers hit + 10 wins on the cavs and kobe keeps it up, then Kobe should win it
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#20 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted November 23, 2008 - 12:05 AM

guys i think most of you are missing the point. Kobe's stats were only a part of the reason we thought he should win the mvp a few years back. the other reason was the 81 point performance along with outscoring dallas through 3 quarters. Kobe was historic those years, plus he caarried the Lakers every night. He didnt even have a mo williams. Lebron has a decent squad around him. but if he continues to win while playing like he is now, then he will deserve it, if the lakers hit + 10 wins on the cavs and kobe keeps it up, then Kobe should win it

I thought Kobe should have won it that year. But this year, if Kobe keeps this up? His numbers are not near MVP anything, and having such a great team where he's not MVP each night and he can go to the bench for Ariza and we suddenly go up 10 doesn't help his MVP case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users