the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2008 - 02:43 PM

I love it!

http://lakernation.c...er-than-pierce/

“Paul would like to think he’s better than Kobe,” said Johnson with a hearty laugh. “But Kobe Bryant is the best closer in the game. He’s the best player in the game. You have to remember he’s done it for a long time at a high level. Now, was Paul Pierce better than Kobe in the Finals? Of course, he was better than everybody in the whole playoffs. Is he one of the top three or four players in the league right now, Paul Pierce? Of course he is. It’s hard to find a guy who can go inside and outside and also a guy who can put it on the floor then make plays for other people. Yes, I think he’s right up there with Kobe, right up there with LeBron. It’s hard to pick one of those three guys.

I’m not biased. I’m going to tell it like it is,” added the Lakers legend. “Kobe Bryant has won three championships for a reason. Shaq [O'Neal] got us to the fourth quarter, but always Kobe Bryant closed the deal. We have to remember that. There’s nothing biased. If Paul was the best player in the league, I would say it. But he’s right there as one of the best. No question about it.”

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 03:14 PM

I think the key part of Johnson's quote is this:

“Kobe Bryant has won three championships for a reason. Shaq [O'Neal] got us to the fourth quarter, but always Kobe Bryant closed the deal. We have to remember that.

#3 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,455 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted November 17, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Magic knows what he is talking about take that Paul Pierce. Now all we need to bring Old School back in this rivalry is to have Bird step up for Pierce.

Edited by magicbalala245, November 17, 2008 - 03:18 PM.

Posted Image

#4 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 03:25 PM

that means a lot coming from Magic. it's rare for Magic to give Kobe compliments.

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 03:29 PM

uh oh we're gonna hear from Shaq soon about that...adding more drama with the Suns/Lakers comin up this Thursday

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:04 PM

heh! awesome. Magic just burned Paul right there. :lol:

“Paul would like to think he’s better than Kobe,”

#7 BigEarFarmar

BigEarFarmar

Rookie

• 70 posts
  • Fan Since:When I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:06 PM

Good ol Magic Johnson

#8 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:35 PM

Magic doesn't know what he's talking about.

Pierce up there as the 3-4 best players in the league? Up there with Kobe and Lebron!?!? NAHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAGIC

#9 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:37 PM

Good to see him backing up Kobe, but Lebron is the best now.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#10 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Gotta Love it Magic Man saying it like it is Love and Respect Magic Man we love you @ Lakers Nation
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#11 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:57 PM

Magic knows what he is talking about take that Paul Pierce. Now all we need to bring Old School back in this rivalry is to have Bird step up for Pierce.

too late right before the finals larry bird said kobe was the best player in the league so

thats the greatest celtic and laker of all time saying kobe is the best

i think julius erving and michael jordan have also said kobe was the best

not to mention

kareem abdul jabbar
shaq
jerry west

oh wait but john hollinger says kobes not the best and its not even close

so john hollinger has more basketball knowledge than those players puh lease

not to mention he said manu ginobili was better and antawn jaimison and iverson were as deserving of the MVP as kobe last season
Posted Image

#12 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 17, 2008 - 06:07 PM

LEBRON is vince carter or tracy mcgrady in 2002, almost there but hasnt really proven that they are the greatest. kobe is the greatest, he might not even be the most talented(i think he is), but he is without question the GREATESt. Its just like how MJ is the GREATEST of all-time. he isnt more skilled than Dr. J. but Greatness is different. Lebron is the most athletic in the league but he skill level isnt higher than Wade's to be honest. kobe is still the best when the game is on the line.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#13 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted November 17, 2008 - 06:39 PM

too late right before the finals larry bird said kobe was the best player in the league so

thats the greatest celtic and laker of all time saying kobe is the best

i think julius erving and michael jordan have also said kobe was the best

not to mention

kareem abdul jabbar
shaq
jerry west

oh wait but john hollinger says kobes not the best and its not even close

so john hollinger has more basketball knowledge than those players puh lease

not to mention he said manu ginobili was better and antawn jaimison and iverson were as deserving of the MVP as kobe last season

I'm starting to hate on ESPN already.... <_<

#14 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,507 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted November 17, 2008 - 07:23 PM

john hollinger is a moron...he doesn't know how to analyze something, he looks strictly at the numbers (on top of his bias), and that doesn't tell you everything about a bball player

Posted Image

#15 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted November 17, 2008 - 08:27 PM

Top three or four? :blink:

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#16 ReaListik

ReaListik

Rookie

• 222 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 09:42 PM

LeBron is a physical freak of nature that overpowers anyone in his way and flies over everything everywhere. But, aside from that he's got serious flaws in his game.

To be honest, he reminds me a lot of Dominique Wilkins more than MJ. He's a human highlight reel but he's not Kobe, and he's definitely nowhere near MJ. I don't think he ever will be.

Paul Pierce is a wannabe. He's a good player, but he would not have done any better with the Lakers in the Finals had he and Kobe switched places. Pierce is the best in his own mind, and whether or not he believes it's arrogant to state it publicly is irrelevant, because if you are the best in the world, you should never feel the need to come out and say it. I have never heard Kobe once come out in an interview and proclaim that he's the best in the game. What I have heard though, is him talk about execution a million times and about what the team needs to work on for the next game.

Edited by ReaListik, November 17, 2008 - 09:49 PM.

"We are the goodest" - Shaq during an interview on ESPN.

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 10:46 PM

look i think kobe is the best as much as the next guy but the lebron hate is ridiculous

first of whoever is comparing mcgrady and vince carter to lebron needs to check their B-ball knowledge because well lebron came into the league at 18 and was already a top 20 player in the league at 23 he is undoubtedly a top 2 player in the league

his combination of size, speed, strength have been unseen in the history of the NBA yet haters instead of marveling at his freak of nature status haters use it as a way of disregarding his status as one of the NBAs elite players

if you want to use that as a handicapp fine but lost in the shuffle of your guys hate was the fact that the same year kobe averaged 35ppg lebron at age 21 put up a line of 30ppg 7rpg 7apg something he has done consistently ever since not to mention he has been a rock missing very few games all these things mcgrady or vince carter never could dream of outside of some one hit wonder years

look like everyone outside of cavalier fans i absolutely despise the hype and spoon feeding lebron has gotten i hate the fact that kobe the best player in the NBA doesn't get half the love lebron does but there is no denying it lebron is a freakin basketball player and a damn good one at that and when its all said and done he will be right there in the top 10 players to ever lace them up

him being 6"9' and 260 while running like a gazelle is no reason to downgrade him thats just a cop out at that rate lets downgrade wilt chamberlain who was bigger than everyone, or MJ who was a half step faster than everyone hell lets downgrade everyone not named allen iverson and isaiah thomas and chris paul because anyone over 6"0' is an athletic freak of nature

he uses his god given gifts so what kobe was given a god given gift of unmatched desire and heart to go with his 6"6' 210 pound frame and the seeming ability to hang in mid-air should we downgrade kobe for that 40 inch verts and 6"6' and freakish hangtime are god given and born with yes work gets them stronger but kobe has his share of gifts also.

lebron works his butt off just look at him not 1 ounce of fat hes not shaq people hes got a myriad of skills and yes he has flaws but hes freakin 23 years old take the hater glasses off and realize yeah kobes the best for now but as all greats see happen to them they lose a step at somepoint and the next generation takes over but the great stays in history

this will be lebrons league in a year maybe 2 get used to it or you'll just continue to look like a blind homer
Posted Image

#18 ReaListik

ReaListik

Rookie

• 222 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 10:55 PM

look i think kobe is the best as much as the next guy but the lebron hate is ridiculous

first of whoever is comparing mcgrady and vince carter to lebron needs to check their B-ball knowledge because well lebron came into the league at 18 and was already a top 20 player in the league at 23 he is undoubtedly a top 2 player in the league

his combination of size, speed, strength have been unseen in the history of the NBA yet haters instead of marveling at his freak of nature status haters use it as a way of disregarding his status as one of the NBAs elite players

if you want to use that as a handicapp fine but lost in the shuffle of your guys hate was the fact that the same year kobe averaged 35ppg lebron at age 21 put up a line of 30ppg 7rpg 7apg something he has done consistently ever since not to mention he has been a rock missing very few games all these things mcgrady or vince carter never could dream of outside of some one hit wonder years

look like everyone outside of cavalier fans i absolutely despise the hype and spoon feeding lebron has gotten i hate the fact that kobe the best player in the NBA doesn't get half the love lebron does but there is no denying it lebron is a freakin basketball player and a damn good one at that and when its all said and done he will be right there in the top 10 players to ever lace them up

him being 6"9' and 260 while running like a gazelle is no reason to downgrade him thats just a cop out at that rate lets downgrade wilt chamberlain who was bigger than everyone, or MJ who was a half step faster than everyone hell lets downgrade everyone not named allen iverson and isaiah thomas and chris paul because anyone over 6"0' is an athletic freak of nature

he uses his god given gifts so what kobe was given a god given gift of unmatched desire and heart to go with his 6"6' 210 pound frame and the seeming ability to hang in mid-air should we downgrade kobe for that 40 inch verts and 6"6' and freakish hangtime are god given and born with yes work gets them stronger but kobe has his share of gifts also.

lebron works his butt off just look at him not 1 ounce of fat hes not shaq people hes got a myriad of skills and yes he has flaws but hes freakin 23 years old take the hater glasses off and realize yeah kobes the best for now but as all greats see happen to them they lose a step at somepoint and the next generation takes over but the great stays in history

this will be lebrons league in a year maybe 2 get used to it or you'll just continue to look like a blind homer

No-one knows whose league it will be in two years. LeBron has to work on his offensive arsenal and defensive skills in order to have control of the league. I'm not hating on LeBron, but that's the reality, once he gets to an age where he can't resort to flying over everyone to throw it down, he's gotta rely on other facets of his game that are currently under-developed. He's flashy, the things he does on the court are amazing and are so flashy that sometimes it masks the weaknesses he has in his game.

Kobe is the best in the world right now, there's no denying that, but LeBron and Wade look likely to take over once Kobe's retires.
"We are the goodest" - Shaq during an interview on ESPN.

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 11:01 PM

No-one knows whose league it will be in two years. LeBron has to work on his offensive arsenal and defensive skills in order to have control of the league. I'm not hating on LeBron, but that's the reality, once he gets to an age where he can't resort to flying over everyone to throw it down, he's gotta rely on other facets of his game that are currently under-developed. He's flashy, the things he does on the court are amazing and are so flashy that sometimes it masks the weaknesses he has in his game.

Kobe is the best in the world right now, there's no denying that, but LeBron and Wade look likely to take over once Kobe's retires.

as of right now lebron is a top 2 player in the league and there is no denying that

1 finals appearence and played boston to 7 games last year and all this with everything on his back offensively

say what you want but he has great work ethic and a young kobe did not rely as much on athleticism but it was a big part of his game early

lebron will get it but that points mute because as of right now lebron is already a top 2 player at age 23 and that undebateable
Posted Image

#20 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted November 18, 2008 - 01:16 AM

Let's not bring Lebron too much into this..... but I agree with Last Stand.

I don't get how you can say Lebron is more like Dominique than MJ. He might be a fusion of the 2, but def. not more Dominique. Check his damn stats, and his damn greatness.

Only thing stopping Lebron is himself, he seems to care more about money and fame than bball in the long run.

Sorry, back on topic... Paul Pierce boo!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users