Photo

Don't trade Lamar!

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:21 PM

I'm willing to give him a chance at the 3... but I almost feel like the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". The guy has been given multiple chances to become a consistent threat. He has the physical tools, to be a monster mismatch, but continually disappears.

I really do like him. However, if the right deal comes along, then you let him go. Artest isn't that deal, though.

zombies.jpg

#42 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:22 PM

It really doesn't matter who we play every night, it matters who we play in the playoffs.

Lamar shot well from the field in the playoffs, but that's because other teams let him do what he needed to because he doesn't do much at all offensively.

If we had a bigger offensive threat, and someone that can play defense, such as Artest, teams would have to worry...and Kobe would go crazy again.

With Bynum, we are still lacking defense at the three, and we don't have a guy who can take over a game other than Bryant. Gasol, Odom and Bynum can't do that (Bynum may be able to later). Therefore, teams zero in on Kobe, play Gasol, and force Odom to beat us. He will do good, but he's not going to carry the load when the time is right.

#43 sega

sega

Rookie

• 242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Tyronn Lue

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:28 PM

thats the point, we want teams to zero in on Kobe and force them to play good 1 on 1 defense like Celtics did.

#44 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:33 PM

thats the point, we want teams to zero in on Kobe and force them to play good 1 on 1 defense like Celtics did.

That's why we lost.

We aren't going to face a piss-poor defensive team in the NBA Finals. It's the East. The great defensive teams in the East are the Celtics, Pistons, Cavaliers...and those (along with the Heat, who had Posey and Zo) have been your East Finals reps for the last five seasons.

We have to beat teams with our defense, and Lamar has none. As much as we've hated them, we are only building a team similar to the Queens almost a decade ago...a 60-65 win season in the making, a few rounds into the playoffs, and then we start to struggle (but at least we got to the Finals).

Artest over Odom would be huge, and we would beat Boston in five.

#45 DBricks

DBricks

Rookie

• 33 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:34 PM

Also Lamar can work on his jumpshot, you cant teach ron artest to do any of the other things lamar brings, His so called jumpshot "deficiency" can be remedied easily. lamar is a good person on and off the court, ron artest is jsut too much of a gamble. I was all for ron opting out and signing with the lakers, but as you see hes not too bright lol.

"His jumpshot deficency can be remedied easily", ya, im sure it is realll easy to become a pure shooter from the outside, and im sure he hasnt even tried to improve his shot in his 9 year career. Lamar Odom is 29 years old and we all have to realize that he is who he is. If you are 29 in the game of basketball or life in general thats WHO you ARE, at that point there's a very unrealistic chance that you can do a complete turn around in life or your talent in the game of basketball. Lamar is who he is. A inconsistent, tall, versatile player, that cant shoot the outside shot, and is passive. Thats his label i'm sure we all can agree on that. And it will always be that way. And name one championship team that had a starting 3 guard that could not hit an outside shot?? CELTICS SF= Ray Allen, SPURS SF= Bruce Bowen PISTONS SF=Tayshaun Prince, BULLS = Scottie Pippen, LAKERS 3 peat = RICK FOX/ROBERT HORRY/GLEN RICE. You dont know your future inless you know your past.

I think we all know what needs to be done, but at the same time it could still work out. Just Ron Artest, or a better 3 guard, would make the Lakers life a lot eaiser and also give them a better shot at winning it all!

"I have failed over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed" - Michael Jordan

http://www.davidjbrickley.com

#46 sega

sega

Rookie

• 242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Tyronn Lue

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:48 PM

don't get your hopes up on a trade guys. If we trade, i'm for it, but if we keep LO im still happy and very confident

#47 Sako32

Sako32

LIKE A ROLLING STONE

• 1,217 posts
  • Name:Sako
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, & Bynum

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:03 PM

I know he's a versatile, valuable, talent but every season we say that next season is gonna be different with him, but nothing has changed. He's inconsistent, too slow for defense, gets too many offensive fouls, etc.

Posted Image

#48 mikedeezy2k8

mikedeezy2k8

24/7

• 271 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:19 PM

"His jumpshot deficency can be remedied easily", ya, im sure it is realll easy to become a pure shooter from the outside, and im sure he hasnt even tried to improve his shot in his 9 year career. Lamar Odom is 29 years old and we all have to realize that he is who he is. If you are 29 in the game of basketball or life in general thats WHO you ARE, at that point there's a very unrealistic chance that you can do a complete turn around in life or your talent in the game of basketball. Lamar is who he is. A inconsistent, tall, versatile player, that cant shoot the outside shot, and is passive. Thats his label i'm sure we all can agree on that. And it will always be that way. And name one championship team that had a starting 3 guard that could not hit an outside shot?? CELTICS SF= Ray Allen, SPURS SF= Bruce Bowen PISTONS SF=Tayshaun Prince, BULLS = Scottie Pippen, LAKERS 3 peat = RICK FOX/ROBERT HORRY/GLEN RICE. You dont know your future inless you know your past.

I think we all know what needs to be done, but at the same time it could still work out. Just Ron Artest, or a better 3 guard, would make the Lakers life a lot eaiser and also give them a better shot at winning it all!

now im not saying he can become a pure shooter, but with the options we have available. Lamars three point shooting is not that far off from who we can get. but you cant say that if lamar dedicated himself this summer to improving his shot that it cant be done. he doesnt need to be a beast form three, id rather him work on his mid range jumper.

#49 LakersAllDay

LakersAllDay

Rookie

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:31 PM

I doubt the Lakers are going to trade Lamar but if the season isnt working out too well they would probably make a move.

IMO don't trade him. He's someone that understands the triangle offense really well and he has the potential to be an awesome all-round player. He just needs to work on his jumpers and be a little bit quicker on D. Artest can give the lakers better D and shooting but with the inside game, that one goes to Lamar. Size matters in this situation

#50 Moses

Moses

Rookie

• 42 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:43 PM

As a person i love Lamar, i have so much respect for him, so much appreciation for his toughness over the years, i don't think there's a mentally tougher player out there who could come back after losing a son like that, so from that standpoint i want him to retire a Laker.

But u know it is a business too, and if opportunities to better us as a team come along, then whoever regardless could get traded, u know that's the way it has always been, nothing personal, it's just about winning a championship, and if our guys truly believe they can achieve that with Lamar then that's great, but if not, then u gotta do what u gotta do.

#51 Guest_Nyla_*

Guest_Nyla_*

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:45 PM

Come February, if the right deal comes along, and Lamar is still playing only once every 5 games, than ya have to do it!

I love Lamar as a person and as the player he can be, but he's too inconsistent.

#52 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:51 PM

As a person i love Lamar, i have so much respect for him, so much appreciation for his toughness over the years, i don't think there's a mentally tougher player out there who could come back after losing a son like that, so from that standpoint i want him to retire a Laker.

But u know it is a business too, and if opportunities to better us as a team come along, then whoever regardless could get traded, u know that's the way it has always been, nothing personal, it's just about winning a championship, and if our guys truly believe they can achieve that with Lamar then that's great, but if not, then u gotta do what u gotta do.

I agree with you to a certain extent

But I feel like we shouldn't wait until February because it does take a while to learn the triangle and thats why Phil strongly discourages trading at mid season. Pau happened to be a huge huge exception last year

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#53 angrypuppy

angrypuppy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:52 PM

I have mixed feelings on Lamar at the 3. I doubt he'll suddenly develop a reliable outside shot over the course of the summer, as I don't get the impression that Lamar has much of a work ethic, or the confidence.

I would like to see Lamar dealt... but each rumored candidate brings his own baggage and question marks.

#54 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:57 PM

I have mixed feelings on Lamar at the 3. I doubt he'll suddenly develop a reliable outside shot over the course of the summer, as I don't get the impression that Lamar has much of a work ethic, or the confidence.

I would like to see Lamar dealt... but each rumored candidate brings his own baggage and question marks.

Fully agree with you

This is like what his 10th year in the league? and he still has so many question marks over his game. I wanna give the benefit of the doubt and give LO one more chance but man I dunno

I like the Artest deal (not too sure if Maloofs are willing to deal him to us). Artest is insane but seriously is he any worse than Rodman, that Phil can't handle?

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#55 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,099 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:46 PM

Keep LO. He will cause problems at the 3 spot. I just hope he works on that jumpshot this offseason.
Posted Image

#56 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:49 PM

Keep LO. He will cause problems at the 3 spot. I just hope he works on that jumpshot this offseason.

your right about the problems part
http://lakernation.c...tyle_emoticons/default/laughing.gif

#57 mikedeezy2k8

mikedeezy2k8

24/7

• 271 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted July 24, 2008 - 08:12 PM

your right about the problems part
http://lakernation.c...tyle_emoticons/default/laughing.gif

lmao everyone just loves to hate on lamar.

#58 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted July 24, 2008 - 08:28 PM

I like Odom, but I don't expect him to improve his J this off season. http://lakernation.c...tyle_emoticons/default/laughing.gif

lmao everyone just loves to hate on lamar.

Everybody likes to make Odom the scapegoat. :angry:

#59 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

God

• 3,749 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 24, 2008 - 08:31 PM

keep lamar
i actually think a lineup of Lamar/Pau/Bynum will work
yea lamar did not play well at the 3 when he did play there
but Pau/Bynum make the job easier for Lamar and I think he will flourish at the 3
if not trade him

#60 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted July 24, 2008 - 09:50 PM

noones using odom as a scapegoat
but would the F.O. really trade Pau.
i mean he helped us catapult to elite status when AB went down.

We've been experimenting with L.O for four years goin on 5 soon.

Now we gotta re-experiment w/ dude at the 3 spot now..
I'm just tired of wasting kobe's prime with this.

ARTESSSSSSSSSSSSSSST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users