Photo

Phil Jackson isn't thrilled by Kobe Bryant's fourth quarter

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted November 12, 2008 - 10:36 PM

The Kobe Bryant pendulum sometimes swings too far, and Coach Phil Jackson always hopes it swings back.

Jackson criticizes Bryant from time to time for distorting the Lakers' offense by taking shots that are too quick or too many in number. Wednesday night was one of those times.

Bryant hit a crucial three-point shot with 1:08 to play to help the Lakers escape with a 93-86 victory over New Orleans, but Jackson didn't like Bryant's fourth quarter.

"He was doing too much at the end of the ball game," Jackson said. "We should have had him off ball a few times so it wasn't always him on ball. But he came though with the big shot that kind of clinched it."

Bryant finished with 20 points on five-for-15 shooting.

Full writeup: http://www.latimes.c...0,2384765.story

I agree with Phil. But Kobe may also have seen one posey too much.

Edited by lyk13, November 12, 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#2 Flash

Flash

Junior

• 283 posts

Posted November 12, 2008 - 10:51 PM

If he didn't like it, why didn't he call a timeout?
I can't stand Phil's "let them play it out"

#3 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted November 12, 2008 - 11:17 PM

You can't stand or can't understand?

When a coach has to call timeout to settle down his players or stop another team's offense, it means this team isn't independant. A team must be strong mentally, sort it out themselves, or if they really can't, they lose the game, not because of the coach, but because of themselves.

Edited by lyk13, November 12, 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#4 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted November 12, 2008 - 11:57 PM

With the exception of that dagger 3, I wasn't too thrilled about it either.

#5 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted November 13, 2008 - 12:56 AM

Yeah we kinda exposed ourselves in the 4th...really.

#6 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted November 13, 2008 - 04:56 AM

With the exception of that dagger 3, I wasn't too thrilled about it either.

Yup, I was screaming at Kobe jacking up crappy jumpers that didn't go in all 4th qtr long. Lucky he made that 3. He basically let the Hornets keep getting back in it with the bad shots.

#7 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2008 - 05:21 AM

You can't stand or can't understand?

When a coach has to call timeout to settle down his players or stop another team's offense, it means this team isn't independant. A team must be strong mentally, sort it out themselves, or if they really can't, they lose the game, not because of the coach, but because of themselves.

QFMFT

#8 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 13, 2008 - 06:28 AM

Agreed, but man he hit a big shot that sealed it. I didn't like how Phil kept Bynum out. We had no interior defense towards the end.

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,924 posts

Posted November 13, 2008 - 07:45 AM

I like the let them play it out technique by Phil. They need to learn how to get themselves out of slumps on their own because it will help them in a big game at the end of the season or playoffs when they have no timeouts and Phil cant help them at all.

#10 king_ar15

king_ar15

Rookie

• 32 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Excel,Kobe

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Well Phil could call a timeout once in awhile.. To slow down the momentum.

Let them find their way our crap... is bull :)

Edited by king_ar15, November 13, 2008 - 08:41 AM.

#11 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted November 13, 2008 - 09:31 AM

Well Phil could call a timeout once in awhile.. To slow down the momentum.

Let them find their way our crap... is bull :)

Calling a timeout when a team goes on a run like the Hornets did last night, especially on the road, doesn't slow the momentum. It builds it. If Phil had called a time out when the Hornets drew close, the home crowd would've gotten even more amped than they already were because a time out is an admission that the opposing team has gotten to you.

What happened instead? Phil let his well-coached, talented players work their way out of the run, stop the bleeding and they went on a little run themselves which forced the HORNETS to call a time out, which deflated the crowd. The complete opposite of what would've happened if we called a time out.

I was sitting there watching the game with my best friend and the announcers were mocking Phil for not calling a time out. We just looked at each other and said, "good, I hope he does it." When Byron called that time out, we felt completely vindicated.

You want a team that's mentally tough for a title run? Let 'em play.

#12 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted November 13, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Yup, I was screaming at Kobe jacking up crappy jumpers that didn't go in all 4th qtr long. Lucky he made that 3. He basically let the Hornets keep getting back in it with the bad shots.

Same, I was shaking my head at the espn gamecast, the game stream is a tad slower.

You guys know what? ESPN Gamecast showed that dagger 3 as a MISS!!! I was horrified!!! And when the stream shows that shot, it was a dagger! My emotions went from utter disappointment to overjoy.

QFMFT

Quote For ...??? I think it's a compliment? THanks. :)

Calling a timeout when a team goes on a run like the Hornets did last night, especially on the road, doesn't slow the momentum. It builds it. If Phil had called a time out when the Hornets drew close, the home crowd would've gotten even more amped than they already were because a time out is an admission that the opposing team has gotten to you.

What happened instead? Phil let his well-coached, talented players work their way out of the run, stop the bleeding and they went on a little run themselves which forced the HORNETS to call a time out, which deflated the crowd. The complete opposite of what would've happened if we called a time out.

I was sitting there watching the game with my best friend and the announcers were mocking Phil for not calling a time out. We just looked at each other and said, "good, I hope he does it." When Byron called that time out, we felt completely vindicated.

You want a team that's mentally tough for a title run? Let 'em play.

Well said.

My cousin on MSN was telling me Phil should call timeout, I say no. Most of our experiences have already bought us in that Phil wun really call a timeout unless he saw something drastically done wrong by the players. I totally wanted the team to figure it out. And boy I'm glad they did.

#13 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted November 13, 2008 - 11:04 AM

Quote For ...??? I think it's a compliment? THanks. :)

..."mother 'effin truth"

#14 GotKobe?

GotKobe?

Rookie

• 35 posts
  • Fav. Laker:MAGIC,KAREEM,WORTHY,KOBE,DFISH

Posted November 13, 2008 - 11:23 AM

All Phil had to do was pull him out of the game. He is the Coach, right?

#15 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:05 PM

..."mother 'effin truth"

Thanks. :D

All Phil had to do was pull him out of the game. He is the Coach, right?

Well, you'd think Kobe will be a happy guy....:) Plus no reason to do that. Closing moments of the game, they sliced the lead, Kobe's not in there, the whole team can just disappear.

#16 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 14, 2008 - 12:16 AM

Like I said in another thread, one of the worst Kobe games I've seen in a while.

We need something different from Kobe this year. Kobe should flirt with 10 assists every night not 10 TOs or 10 missed shots or 10 isolation plays.

Phil is right. Kobe should come off the ball more for quick hitting mid range shots. Doing that will force the defense to dedicate 2 people to him trying to keep the ball out of his hands (on the move), freeing up a teammate. If they don't, we can live with him taking those shots, made or missed...no way he shoots us out of the game in that situation.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

#17 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 14, 2008 - 07:37 PM

firstly, when Phil makes a comment to Kobe, its not always really for Kobe and if you love his 9 rings, then love his techniques...this thread is completely idiotic
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#18 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 14, 2008 - 09:29 PM

firstly, when Phil makes a comment to Kobe, its not always really for Kobe and if you love his 9 rings, then love his techniques...this thread is completely idiotic

What?

Do you even know what that means? Who are you (from other boards)? Your posts seem vaguely familiar.

Phil says what he means for the most part. This was spot on.

Posting Under the Influence should be illegal.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

#19 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 17, 2008 - 06:11 PM

you dont know me brah, And phil doesnt always say what he means...are u under the influence...of stupidity
Seriously though, Phil is a mysterios man, with his sarcasm and incense burning
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#20 azk81

azk81

Rookie

• 831 posts

Posted November 17, 2008 - 09:31 PM

i love it. it helps the team figure things out themselves during the early regular season where it doesnt matter as much. also, in a tight situation, wouldnt you rather have time-out advantage? what he does builds up for the post season.
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

-Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Gone, Never Forgotten.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users