#1 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,458 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted November 10, 2008 - 03:54 PM

Article

Posted Image Buss said his intent is to keep the Lakers together after this season, but he wouldn't commit to signing unrestricted free agents Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza, nor would he promise Bryant a maximum extension if he opts out of his contract. Those decisions will be made after the season, Buss said, though he did admit, "We can't afford to lose Kobe."

Buss also downplayed the long-rumored notion that Bryant could bolt for Europe after the season if a team offered him a hefty enough raise.

"They have fewer games, smaller arenas, cheaper tickets and very little television, so I can't see it," Buss said. "Quite honestly I don't think that's a real threat."

One player Buss is relieved not to have to worry about leaving is center Andrew Bynum, who last month signed a three-year, $42 million contract with a club option for a fourth season. The Lakers were wary of giving a lucrative contract to Bynum without seeing how his surgically repaired left kneecap responded this season, but Buss said he's comfortable with the financial risk because the 7-footer could be "one of the great ones."

"The question we always had going in was what's going to be fair to Bynum and what's going to be fair to us," Buss said. "We wrestled with that for a while, and finally came up with something very close to what happened, and I feel it was very fair to both sides."

Buss also seems confident the Lakers will be able to retain Coach Phil Jackson for the foreseeable future, even though his contract expires after next season and his health remains a concern.

"With this team, he may grow very old and still be the coach," Buss said. "I won't give you a number of years, but I have to think he's going to stay longer than we would have imagined."

Buss expressed hope the Lakers could make another championship run -- one that culminates with a satisfying victory in Boston.

"One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics," Buss said. "If you were a Lakers fan prior to my ownership and you sat there and watched the Celtics whip us so many times, you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore."

Posted Image

#2 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,876 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2008 - 03:57 PM

interesting...

we probably need ariza more than we need odom at this point...sad to say

and i'd like to see phil stick around

Posted Image

#3 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,360 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 04:10 PM

We definately need Ariza's hustle.

#4 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted November 10, 2008 - 04:10 PM

I hope we'll be able to keep all of our team together. If not, I hope we'll be able to keep at least most of the players.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#5 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,458 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted November 10, 2008 - 04:22 PM

I hope we'll be able to keep all of our team together. If not, I hope we'll be able to keep at least most of the players.

I hope so to
Posted Image

#6 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Ariza has to stay in my opinion, but Lamar is equally as important overall, i just think speed, youth and athleticism makes Ariza more vital to the type of team we are becoming

Edited by Kobynum Gasodom 2, November 10, 2008 - 05:20 PM.

Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#7 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,889 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:25 PM

Ariza will cost half as much as LO. Keep him.

He's not worried about Kobe. Kobe wants to win and there won't be any team out there with as many as guns lined up long term with the same money to offer.

This time, Buss has real leverage. Kobe wants to win. LAL can win and he can still get paid more than anyone else on the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe took a straight $100 mil contract at $20mil/yr for 5 years.

I'd offer McDyess 2.5 mil for 3 years, giving them a backup 4 for the next 3, making LO irrelevant for next year. I'd also offer Ariza 5 mil for 4 years. Bring Mihm back and we're set.

#8 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:26 PM

Ariza and obviously Kobe are a must.

#9 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:27 PM

mcdyess isnt guaranteed, until we can get another rebounder, this is a difficult decision

Edited by Kobynum Gasodom 2, November 10, 2008 - 05:27 PM.

Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#10 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:27 PM

Buss said he'll pay whatever he needs to to keep this team in contention. I'm not worried.

#11 Aztek Lakerfan

Aztek Lakerfan

Aztek Lakerfan

• 466 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:30 PM

Well see what happens Laker Nation.

#12 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,889 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:36 PM

Well see what happens Laker Nation.

What will happen is he will wait til the deadline, try to make a move, won't, and let people walk in the summer unless we win in convincing manner. Even then, he won't bid against himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users