What's Up With Our Perimeter Defense?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:35 AM

Our team looks good, but the problem of perimeter defense is glaring right into our eyes right now. Last season, we let unkown PG's have career nights against us, and yet again, that problem seems to be apparent this year. All a guard needs is a decent shot and abit of speed and our defense ends up making them look like Chris Paul. It's ridculous.

I can't even count the amount of times Aaron Brooks managed to split our defense in half. We're doubling guys and it's leaving other guys open, and on top of that, our guards are just lazy (minus Kobe).

What do you the fan suggest we do? Because this is going to kill us in some of the more key games.

Edited by Darth Bynumite, November 10, 2008 - 05:37 AM.

Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#2 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:57 AM

As much as our aggressive defense is, if you remember the article that describes our defense, you will find that there will be 1 guy left on the weak side, most like one that stands at the perimeter.

I'm not sure how the team will combat that...probably make adjustments if they couldn't defend perimeter well.

#3 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:16 AM

Not for nothing, but if bad perimeter defense = holding teams under 100, winning by 29 and having the leading scorer on a team featuring Yao Ming, Ron Artest and T-Mac be Aaron effin' Brooks, I'll take it.

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:28 AM

It wasn't bad...they were just sluggish thats all

Our guards kept redirecting their littles (especially Brooks) to the baseline but the bigs were slow and they weren't able to smother Brooks in the middle and he caused all kidns of problems late in the first quarter and early second quarter.

He had like what 13 during that stretch and i believe he hit a 3 late in the game and a couple other layups with the game essentially over and that was it

for the most part our perimeter D was pretty darn good

Edited by MDI, November 10, 2008 - 09:30 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:32 AM

Yep, in the NBA, you have to pick your poison. If they score less than 90 points, I don't care if they were all uncontested dunks!!!

Here's an example from the Detroit Boston game:

"All of those hard picks and cutesy curls that usually free Hamilton on the baseline against squads like Toronto, they don't work against Boston. The Celtics' bigs pop out and aggressively trap him, forcing the ball into the wide-open hands of Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson 15 feet from the basket. Not once do I recall a defender scrambling to cover them. Not once did Rivers yell at his players because they were wide open. That's by design, and Detroit has yet to figure out a counterpunch outside of Rasheed Wallace shooting 3s."

HT to Daily Dime.

Edited by Mo Rings, November 10, 2008 - 09:47 AM.

#6 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted November 10, 2008 - 10:21 AM

We've done a pretty darn good job of shutting down their main options so far, so they are forced to defer to their lesser players.

FGM-A

Houston
Artest: 2-11
McGrady: 1-11

Clips
Davis: 7-21
Camby: 1-4
Mobley: 4-11

Denver
Iverson: 3-8
Melo: 5-15

Clips
Davis: 4-13
Kaman: 3-9

Portland
Aldridge: 4-12
Roy: 5-15
Oden: 0-4

I'll take that any day of the week. There's no way their lesser players beat this team with all the firepower that we have at our disposal.

Edited by daco_inc, November 10, 2008 - 10:21 AM.

#7 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 10:30 AM

i think they've done a pretty solid job so far... i mean even VladRad is making an effort on defense.

they still have plenty of work to do but i've seen improvements. it's a long season, they'll get there.

#8 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 10:40 AM

It wasn't bad...they were just sluggish thats all

Our guards kept redirecting their littles (especially Brooks) to the baseline but the bigs were slow and they weren't able to smother Brooks in the middle and he caused all kidns of problems late in the first quarter and early second quarter.

He had like what 13 during that stretch and i believe he hit a 3 late in the game and a couple other layups with the game essentially over and that was it

for the most part our perimeter D was pretty darn good

The problem is that Mr.Little ends up having a career night against us, boosting his teams confidence while doing so.

See?

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 11:02 AM

The problem is that Mr.Little ends up having a career night against us, boosting his teams confidence while doing so.

See?

Brooks is having a breakout season so far.

He didn't do much on Saturday vs Clippers

But check out the lines for the 3 of the 4 previous games before the Clips. 14/3/5 at Dallas, 12 against Boston, 14/2/2 at Portland...thats pretty darn good for a backup PG.

Also he did most of his damage in the first half when we were sleep walking.

Its a minor lapse thats all, I wouldn't be too concerned

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 11:31 AM

See?

I don't think the Rockets got a boost of anything, especially confidence, after watching their 17-point lead in the second quarter (when they were beating us by more points than we had scored) transform into a 29-point loss.

#11 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted November 10, 2008 - 11:33 AM

1 person breaking out against us but lost to a team that's playing suffocating D, I'd take it.

#12 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:37 PM

See?

This is the NBA. No defense is perfect. Sacrifices must be made. These guys are professionals and no matter how good our defense is, they will find a way to score, and those points will have to come from someone. I'd rather those points come from some streaky Mr. Little than a game-changing Mr. Big.

#13 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:47 PM

All I'm saying is that this was a GLARING weakness last year. I remember guys like Luke Ridnour going off against us and having career nights.

We can keep a watch of it over the next few games in this thread and see how it goes.

#14 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted November 10, 2008 - 02:58 PM

Yeh I've been noticing that too. There's always going to be one other guy stepping up on the other side which I don't mind as long as we win the game and the star player is contained. I rather have it like that than to have their star player be in control where they could potentially win the game all by themselves.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#15 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 10, 2008 - 05:49 PM

Listen darth, realistically small guards penetrate against most teams. we are playing great D. Honestly the D wont improve, it will probably worsen as the season goes. But we are an elite defensive team. farmar and ariza get to the rack aginst the rockets and their D is more proven than ours. bottom line, stop nit pickin. As of now we are dominant. Be a LAKERS FAN, not a critic.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#16 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:11 PM

Be a LAKERS FAN, not a critic.

You don't know me too well do you?

:lol:

#17 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:24 PM

no i dont, but dont mention weaknesses when we are 5-0 by an average margin of 20 +
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#18 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:31 PM

no i dont, but dont mention weaknesses when we are 5-0 by an average margin of 20 +

#19 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:56 PM

So, one game where a player goes off in the 1st half but fails in the 2nd half makes us a bad perimeter defensive team?
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#20 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 10, 2008 - 08:06 PM

As long as we win the game and keep the opposing teams star players grounded, I don't mind if lesser players have career night. For a 29-point victory, Aaron Brooks, or any lesser player, can have a career night. I wouldn't mind in the least. All that matters is the W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users