Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:12 PM

ts_140820byronscott.jpg?itok=sEuNBuWe

In an interview with Lakers.com, Byron Scott spoke about his vision for the upcoming season including how he envisions personnel, defense, Kobe Bryant and the Lakers versatility. It was the first glimpse of Byron Scott, the coach, who is someone entirely separate from Byron Scott the local star so many are proud of.

“I’m pretty demanding”, he unapologetically said. “I want it done a certain way and I want guys to compete every night and get after people.”  His rigid tone is a world apart from last year and so are the specifics. “There are three ways we’re going to guard side pick and rolls”, Scott explained. “We’re going to down it, hard show or red it (trap). If you do it from day one, guys get better at it because they’re working on it every day at practice.”

Anyone who watched Byron last season on Time Warner Cable SportsNet saw his visible frustration with D’antoni’s defense. Sometimes his face looked like it was going to crack. “There were games where they (Lakers) were playing defense one way and other games where they played it differently.” It’s a familiar Mike D’antoni criticism: consistency.

He doesn’t feel shame. Byron is an old school kind of coach, one that teaches through repetition and who punishes mistakes. Without a rim protector he admits a lot of responsibility is going to come by way of the team defense he will start teaching in training camp.

As for training camp itself he admitted he really won’t know much about the team and the individual player’s heart and desire until he sees them in the pressurized environment that first week when most of the players are fighting for positions. Until then he will have no idea of Julius Randle’s competitiveness. “You have to understand your players, be able to read them and what they need.”

Scott Insists he won't "run his team to ruin" in practices.  
“I’ve been there myself. I understand that your body gets tired and you need to be away from the gym.”

When asked about Julius Randle who he had recently seen work out he admitted that Randle needs to get in shape but that he sees him earning a chance to play a lot of minutes. “We know he’s a rookie and needs to develop and a lot of that will come in training camp and in practice.” The last thing Scott or the Lakers want is Randle to come into training camp out of shape. That reduces his ability to participate in camp and will drastically limit his time on the court once the season starts. 

But Scott is impressed by Randle’s size and power and competitiveness. “He has great feet and great quickness for his size and he’s strong as a bull. You can tell that he wants to get better. He doesn’t mind banging in the post but he’s also capable facing up from 15 feet and either going around someone or pulling up.” It’s the sort of versatility that makes a coach’s job easier because he can design multiple sets for Randle’s skill set.

As for the power forward battle, Byron is intent on letting Randle and Carlos Boozer slug it out in camp. Byron isn’t opposed to playing them together because Boozer is vocal out on the court which would benefit Randle. But Ed Davis has been a fixture at the Lakers practice facility and is very serious about his workouts. He may play with Randle too.

On Steve Nash 

“The clock is ticking”, Scott said. But he did admit that Nash looked great in workouts and was pain free for the first time in almost two years.

He sees Nick Young primarily as a back up. “I love Swaggy coming off the bench. I love his firepower.” Unlike his other coaches, Byron values Nick’s energy and how he wants to win and the impact he has on the fans. “He changed his whole persona, what people thought of him. I’d never seen him play defense before.”

Says he won't 'handcuff' his players strictly to the Princeton Offense/Triangle

“I like to give my player’s a lot of freedom”, he said.

More Here: http://lakeshowlife....=Trending on FS

Good Interview.  

**I'll be posting a bonus below on how Byron intends to implement the Princeton as well as what kind of defensive sets he'll run. **

Edited by Majesty, August 20, 2014 - 10:13 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Byron Scott on how he'll Implement the Princeton(and consistency)

Byron Scott: Yes, and that matters, because you want to try and form an identity on both ends of the floor. From an offensive standpoint, there are some things that I think we can do that will be very beneficial to a lot of guys on this team. And then there are some classic NBA sets that everybody runs as well. I want a mixture of some of what I’ve done in the past, which is the Princeton offense, along with traditional NBA sets. We won’t put too much in too early, because I want guys to get used to what we’re doing, and try to wait before we start to implement stuff on the offensive end. Defensively, we’ll start to work from day one, because that’s something we have to get better at right away, and we will.

Byron Scott on how he'll instill the defensive principles

Scott: Defensive philosophy has to be constant. This is no knock on Mike at all, but there were games where they were playing defense one way, and other games where they played it differently. When I go into the season, there are three ways we’re going to guard side pick and rolls, for example: we’re going to down it, hard show, or red it (trap). If you do it from day one, guys get better at it because they’re working on it every day in practice. I want to establish those things day-to-day, and if you do that, it takes a lot of the thinking away and gets back to reacting.

(on doing this without a consistent rim protector)

Scott: We’ll have a plan, but it will depend some on how guys play in training camp. With that said, we can't force everything defensively to (Jordan) Hill or (Carlos) Boozer, so we'll focus more on forcing guys to certain places and corral them instead of trying to block shots. What I see during the first few days of practice will make an impact there, so we can have an identity on that end of the floor.

You’re going to have to play a lot of help the helper to keep the ball from getting into the paint. That’s a lot of rotations, a lot of help, a lot of stunt and recover, where the guy with the ball sees one-and-a-half or two defenders every single time. You want to clog up the paint as much as possible and make the opponent take contested jump shots.

On Julius Randle and how important he'll be to the offense

Scott: I see a young man that's raw, but he has great feet and great quickness for his size, and he's strong as a bull. You can tell that he wants to get better. Next week we’ll have a better idea, because he’ll be in better shape and be able to work even harder. But I love those attributes, being strong, big and quick for his size. That’s a very good combination to have.

The one thing I’ve seen is that Julius can do both. He doesn’t mind banging in the post, but he’s also capable facing up from 15 feet and either going around someone or pulling up. Having that type of versatility is only going to make him better, especially with some of the things I want to do on offense.

On how Practices Will be 

Scott: (Interjects, laughing) Hard. But it’s a balance. You have to understand your players, be able to read them and what they need. I will very rarely practice after a back to back, for example. Or if we have three days before a game, that will dictate how we practice to make sure guys are getting the rest they need. 

On NOT hesitating to rein Kobe in

Scott: I’m not going to shy away from that at all, because I have that much respect for him. I care about him that much. I’ve known him for 17 years, and I know what kind of player and person he is. He knows me as well. He knows he can come up to me and tell me anything, just like I can go to him and say, ‘Kobe, no, that’s not what we’re going to do. Let’s do it this way.’ I think because of the mutual respect we have, the relationship is going to get even stronger. I think Kobe respects my opinion and my experience in this game and in this league. I’ve been in this league for 30 plus years as a player and a coach. We feel the same way about this roster that we have. We know a lot of people aren’t going to give us a chance, but we feel we’re going to surprise a lot of people.
Much More Here: http://www.nba.com/l...20byronscott_qa

#3 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 884 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:32 PM

Great stuff man... You always bring the goodies.. Thanks for sharing..

I can see something possitive already just by changing the way we approach the defensive side of the game.. Unlike last year, we were focus on whos gonna start and what combo should be tried out.. This year, the identity is taking place and atleast theres a plan on what we have to do..

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Great stuff man... You always bring the goodies.. Thanks for sharing..

I can see something possitive already just by changing the way we approach the defensive side of the game.. Unlike last year, we were focus on whos gonna start and what combo should be tried out.. This year, the identity is taking place and atleast theres a plan on what we have to do..

Thanks anytime. I like how he intends to implement the offense but also how he wants to trap defensively. It's all great in theory. 

#5 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 884 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 11:07 PM

Thanks anytime. I like how he intends to implement the offense but also how he wants to trap defensively. It's all great in theory.

Yea thats something i look forward also.. Everyone's gonna doubt us but if we play team defense, anything is possible.

#6 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,336 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 20, 2014 - 11:46 PM

i don't like a coach giving his gameplan away in an interview but i am encouraged by the news. *yes i know just general defense plan*

ap1.png

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 20, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Good read!

Defense first and an offense based on simple sets and ball-movement with elements of the princeton.

I'm encouraged.

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 12:44 AM

Also something of interest.  Byron and them are already working Randle on different things before training camp and getting him into shape, working on his post game, face up game etc.

Scott: We’re been working on his post game and face up game, but the biggest thing is to get him in shape. As a rookie, you don’t want to come into training camp out of shape. Then the season is halfway over by the time you get acclimated. We want him to get in great shape right now, and then he can start learning the system on both ends of the floor. We're already putting him through a lot of defensive things right now to get him going.

#9 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 884 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 03:33 AM

i don't like a coach giving his gameplan away in an interview but i am encouraged by the news. *yes i know just general defense plan*

I dont like it either but i think you can do that if youre talking about defensive rotations. Teams wouldnt have any idea when and how were gonna pressure them when we play them so i think its all good..

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 09:30 AM

I dont like it either but i think you can do that if youre talking about defensive rotations. Teams wouldnt have any idea when and how were gonna pressure them when we play them so i think its all good..

Yes and in theory his ideas of trapping instead of tunneling to the rim protector are good ideas in theory as long as everyone buys in. 

#11 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,524 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted August 21, 2014 - 11:16 AM

well see what happens

only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#12 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,336 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted August 21, 2014 - 12:40 PM

The only reason i really take exception too it is because Mike Singletary did in his post game speech when talking about benching vernon davis, lmao.

ap1.png

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 05:37 PM

Seems to be Byron isn't giving the game away but he is giving us a glimpse.  This means we may be running a more simplistic kind of offense early on in the season and it ain't gonna be pretty as he puts more and more Princeton in.   But he in the very least is not going to throw the entire Princeton book at us overnight. 

Ultimately I think it's going to rest on not just where Kobe will be, he's gonna be effective from the block and mid post and if he remains healthy will likely shoot his highest percentage from the field this year.  But I think how he uses Randle is going to be very important as well. 

#14 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 386 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 24, 2014 - 03:05 AM

Boozer and Lin must find a way to contribute heavily on offense or this team will avg 85 points a game.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted August 27, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Boozer and Lin must find a way to contribute heavily on offense or this team will avg 85 points a game.

I think that's why we got them.   Likely also why they are looking at Beasley.

They are surrounding Byron with offensive players that can get their own shots and counting on his abiities as a  defensive coach to balance things out. 

They hope that these players can take advantage hitting shots in the offense as well as breaking from the offense to score on their own and hoping that Byron's defensive principles stick to make some sort of balance. 

That is what I am figuring anyway. 

Edited by Majesty, August 27, 2014 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users