12 replies to this topic

#1 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Rookie

• 628 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:45 PM

If you look at Kevin Mchale, the famed GM and head coach that was 3 time NBA Champion, a HOF, and arguably one of the best PF ever play the game.  You will not associate him with such a psychological disorder.  However upon close examination of Mchale's career, you can see that from his earlier development of his professional basketball career, to his current stint as the head coach for Houston, we can see a pattern that suggest that he is in fact suffering from such a disorder. 

Superiority complex is defined by a person's need to thrive or succeed, and if he do not succeed or cannot find a way, he would dominate over a person or a group of people so he can regain his superiority.

If we look at Mchale's professional basketball career.  The man is extremely successful, even Sir Charles, the biggest mouth ever played basketball admit that Mchale at his prime was the nightmare to guard on defense and a unstoppable scoring machine.  If we look at Mchale's 7 year career as the starting PF for Celtics, they made it to 3 NBA finals, he won his third ring, and he was the leading scorer for the Celtics in the finals.  Mchaled called his position "the torturing chamber", or his team mate would call Mchale "the black hole" because he can put away around 60% of the shots, best in the league, only a few in the history of NBA can come close.

Now we take a look at Mchale's coaching stints.  2 word, not impressive.  2004-2005 season, with Sam Casell and KG, miss the playoff for the first time after 9 years. May not be all his fault since he took over mid-season.  However Mchale does not look comfortable in that coaching chair, as he relinquish the head coach position right after the season.  Mchale late became head coach in 2008-2009 season and because the team had rather little talent and Love just started his NBA career, Timberwolves tanked as the bottom 5.  After MN, Mchale went to Houston till now, his past three years with Houston showed that he stilled sucked at his job, 2011-2012 season, Houston had little talent and missed the playoffs, 2012-2013 seeing Morey added Harden, Lin and Asik.  The team made to first round and lost in 6.  2013-2014 season Morey upgraded by taking D12 to Houston roster.  With a roster of D12, Harden, Asik, a developed Parsons, Lin, Houston roster was stacked as ever.  However Houston flamed out in playoffs as the fourth seed in 6 games again.  Coach is another competitive side basketball game, but Mchale ain't winning it.  

Now we establish the background of his superiority complex, now we look at his personality, does he wanting to succeed?  The answer is absolutely YES.  In his 13 years NBA career, Mchale started in 7 year, but he "took care of business" both offensive and defensive end on court.  "The Black hole" will convert 60% of his shots to buckets.  And he makes clutch defensive plays.  As a GM he got KG, brought in Sam Cassell and took MN to the WCF.  As a coach, Mchale look absolutely pissed when the team is not doing well, and he would explode after the game.  

The problem is Mchale seen good coaching in Celtics, but himself is not a good coach.  Mchale play on a championship team, and win with them.  So he knows somewhat about the game and how to win.  When it comes to his turn to covert, Mchale can't draw a .9 second defense play to save his own playoffs.  Leaving Harden, a notorious off ball defense black hole on court, while wasting a man guarding the take out player is not a very smart play. The sad part was it was the exact duplicate play Lakers used to beat Houston earlier in the season.  Mchale wasted his defensive talent Asik first two playoff games and let LMA run amok wrecking up 40+ points, despite his shortcoming on the drawing board, his players actually wasn't doing that bad, Rockets were up 11 in games 1 until the last 5 mins.  Then they loose the that lead faster than a high school JV team vs their own varsity.  In the same game, their leading star, Harden shooting a pathetic 8-28 FGA, 3-14 from downtown, including two failed attempts on the buzzer-beating 3 pointers.   Game 2 was just a blowout, and Game 3 was about to end in disaster when Harden lost the ball in the last possession. Only Lin save the day by steal the ball back and made the crucial assist to Troy Daniels for the wide open game winning 3.  Game 4 Lin got striped 30 seconds before end of the 4th with Rockets up by 2.  Which is not good but definitely not game ending.  Trail Blazer was able to drag the game to OT and strip from Beverly 6 secs before end of the ot with 3 pts up.  Mchale in the post game conference called out Lin for not calling time out at the 30 sec mark, which is in my opinion a very bad coach decision.

Game 5 saw Lin explode w/ 21 pts and Rocket beat the Trail Blazers 108-98, and in the post game conference http://youtu.be/Ej4XtPocCu8 if you look at Mchale's face when he was asked about Lin's performance at 1:08, that don't look like the face of a head coach whose players played well in the playoffs, instead the face of a guy that just swallowed something extremely unpleasant.  By now we should be able to figure out who Mchale feels like to dominate when his sense of inferior performance as a coach came out.  Bingo!!! It would be the ex-Houston reject, whom found fame in the Big Apple and reclaimed by Houston a year later --- Jeremy Lin.  

Now we look at the reason why.  Mchale is not a racist by any stretch unlike most believed.  But if you look at his NBA career, you see that his professional basketball career -- something that he is extremely good at and well recognized by others is actually overshadowed by one of the greatest Basketball player ever, his teammate Larry Bird.  As one of the articles in Celticslife.com put it, Bird and Mchale had very different careers, Bird is know to be a great game maker, fantastic passer and runs the game like smooth silk. Mchale on the other hand is the "torturing chamber", the blackhole that sink all the shots into the basket, the great ball stopper if you can call it, even if he had around 2.7 asst per game during his professional career, his instinct tells him to finish a play a lot more than to pass the ball to the open player.  But career wise, Bird was a starter on day 1, Mchale only started 7 of his 13 years career.  Mchale was the top scorer of Celtics after 1985, but people give Bird more credit than to Mchale for Celtics wins.  Mchale scored a team record of 56 pt a game, then just 9 days later Bird broke it with 60.  If you look at the what Bird did as a player, he was magnificent, but if you look at what he did as a young man, he was a very cocky, bully kind of guy when it come to regards to basketball, and Mchale has to live with Bird over him in the basketball achievement, and he was forced by everyone to the concepts that Bird > Mchale, which i do not honestly believe.  

Mchale probably would not never admit to himself that he think he is the better player.  But if you look at his comments and his days as a GM and his coaching style, who did he grab as a GM?  Kevin Garnett, and Kevin Love, first one who dominated much of the last decade as a PF, and the second is dominating PF right now.  And as coach he allowed Harden and D12 to iso play instead of running PNR.  He values Beverly, a good one-on-one guard over Lin, which is a good team defense player.  And if you watch Rocket ball in the past two years, you see that there is no drawn defensive play in place, most of the Rocket players are just react to the offensive play, no one knows where to go when the offense initiate PNR, or multiple screens to get the men open.  On the offensive end, you see Harden iso in 2013-14 season, then D12 and Harden iso 2013-2014. Dragic was the single special case where on the Rocket roster he was the best option for ball, so he did well during that short tenure when he did great for Rockets.  So Mchale basically don't value in the player's ability as a facilitator, so why would he believe the Bird > Mchale deep down?  

Lin is the unfortunate kid around the block, because he probably remind Mchale of Bird.  If you look at Lin's body language and his performance in New York, you can see the cockiness in the body language when he hit a big shot.  Lin was also a very good facilitator, which i paraphrase Magic in one of the games he commentated that Lin can open up the floor for his players, and he will find that open man to pass to. So Lin was a star when he came to Houston with high hopes of everyone just like when Bird joined Celtics. Mchale can relate much better with Harden, both won the Best six-Man award off the bench.  Both were good but forced to sit on the bench as the six man because there was a better option on the starter roster.  So Mchale is building his own "torturing chamber" V 2.0 --> Harden + D12.  at the same time make-up to himself which is projected on to Harden. And Lin became the kid that was peaking at first 12 game of his starting career, and will ultimately be a 15 and 5 kind of player, which is what he truly thinks of Bird deep inside him.  So Mchale really need to see a professional with his problems, or at least Rocket should force him to seek professional help.  Otherwise Rocket franchise will be a torture to see; if they can make it to the playoffs.

Edited by lonlyamongus, August 19, 2014 - 02:55 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#2 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,318 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:48 PM

Majesty I had no idea that you had a brother.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,208 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Wow that was quite an article.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#4 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2014 - 03:35 PM

good read.

#5 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,819 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2014 - 03:53 PM

Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
iyjywo.jpg

#6 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,889 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:08 PM

MillerDanceDidntRead.gif

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,067 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted August 19, 2014 - 06:50 PM

tldr.gif

#8 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,233 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Great post

Great post

I agree wholeheartedly

Great post
I wish more member around here would post like that
I wish I would post like that

Keep up the good work!!!!

#9 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 953 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted August 19, 2014 - 10:20 PM

I must admit i didnt finish reading the whole book..

Next time: be straight forward with the things you want to outline.. Nobody has the time to read your novel..

#10 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 532 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:11 AM

McFail it's just a jerk.

#11 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,979 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Great stuff! :rock:

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#12 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,395 posts
  • Name:Artemis
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Horry

Posted August 20, 2014 - 12:47 PM

He can type however much he wants you guys.

When I think of McHale, I automatically think of him losing his child, and then it becomes hard for me to look at him as anything other than humble on the sideline. 

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Posted Image

rest in paradise bestie matt
8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#13 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,233 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted August 20, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Seriuosly people!
If that is too much for you to read, you need to take some reading classes or do some training for your brain...

9 paragraphs.
Which I understand is more reading that it takes to graduate from college now, but come on people!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users