19 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 19, 2014 - 12:34 PM

As much as I like Jay Mohr and his sports show because it makes me laugh quite a bit, he pisses me off today by saying the tide has turn and its now a Clippers town just because he have Chris Farley uhh i mean Steve Balmer on the show?    Anybody who thinks that this is now a Clippers town should slap themselves in the face.  Sure its great that they finally get rid of the slum lord but it is still the Clippers.  Until Chris Farley move the team to Seatle (man i am praying for that day to come) or change the brand or the name, it will still be a second class franchise to the Lakers.  I  believe it will never be a Clippers town until Clippers win multiple titles. Atleast win 10.  I am an Angel's fan not a Dodgers fan but i dont go around telling people this is an Angel's town just cus the Angels won a world series more recently than the Dodgers.

Edited by epicwolf, August 19, 2014 - 12:35 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted August 19, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Epicwolf it will never ever be Clippers town. Relax.

#3 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,348 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted August 19, 2014 - 01:43 PM

Oh, look it's this thread again

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#4 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 995 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 02:23 PM

You know that the attendance yesterday was about 7,000 right? Ok.. Nuff said, since most of the clipper fans dont work all day and still only got 7,000 fans for their one of the most important day of their franchise. That tells you who owns this town.. Thats like comparing lemons to oranges.

#5 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 19, 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have no problem acknowledging the clips are (much) better than the Lakers right now.

I have trouble accepting it.

But not acknowledging it.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#6 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,917 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 03:04 PM

we get it epic you don't like the clippers

2div

#7 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,930 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Anyone that knows anything knows it isn't a Clippers town. Don't let people's opinions get to you.

Just like you said with the Angels, they have been successful for a lot longer than the Clippers ever were but they still aren't more popular than the Dodgers.

#8 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Rookie

• 691 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:34 PM

As much as I like Jay Mohr and his sports show because it makes me laugh quite a bit, he pisses me off today by saying the tide has turn and its now a Clippers town just because he have Chris Farley uhh i mean Steve Balmer on the show?    Anybody who thinks that this is now a Clippers town should slap themselves in the face.  Sure its great that they finally get rid of the slum lord but it is still the Clippers.  Until Chris Farley move the team to Seatle (man i am praying for that day to come) or change the brand or the name, it will still be a second class franchise to the Lakers.  I  believe it will never be a Clippers town until Clippers win multiple titles. Atleast win 10.  I am an Angel's fan not a Dodgers fan but i dont go around telling people this is an Angel's town just cus the Angels won a world series more recently than the Dodgers.

it's ok, as long we ask people on the street, which team do you come to mind when we say LA.  7/10 will still say Lakers.

that's where it matters

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#9 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 1,006 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:21 PM

Lakers are not very good, and how many televised games do they have this year? That's all you need to know

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,021 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:50 PM

I look forward to seeing his reactions when the Clippers lose games =P 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#11 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 08:48 AM

Lakers are not very good, and how many televised games do they have this year? That's all you need to know

So what?  Here is the difference between the Clippers and the Lakers in terms of brand.  Lakers are in a different level and the CLippers are not even in the same solar system with the Lakers.  If the Lakers suck for two years which they did they still have national tevelvised game while if the Clippers suck for one year or even half a season, they will not get a sniff of any televised game.   So how can a team beating a brand over a city when that brand already took the world?  In order to be a face of a city you need to be the face of a neighborhood first.  Clippers not even popular in any of the LA neighborhoods. 5 thousand people going to the Clippers ralley are a bunch of contrarians and laker haters.  they need to change the brand or better yet move to Seattle.

Edited by epicwolf, August 21, 2014 - 10:12 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,964 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 20, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Insecure much?

#13 ajaxjs

ajaxjs

Rookie

• 218 posts
  • Name:Jack Clifford
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted August 20, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Ballmer thinks he knows LA because the usual horde of pseudo-celeb entertainment sector parasites have surged forth, en masse from their crevices, to latch onto his ass like parasites on a blue whale.

Once they've drunk his blood to satiation, he'll hobble back to Seattle.

Edited by ajaxjs, August 20, 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#14 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 20, 2014 - 02:25 PM

^ A bit on the oddly descriptive side, eh?

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#15 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 337 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted August 20, 2014 - 04:24 PM

I look forward to seeing his reactions when the Clippers lose games =P 

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#16 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,633 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Are you insecure about the lakers, epic?
We already know it
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#17 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 1,006 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted August 21, 2014 - 09:43 AM

So what? Here is the difference between the Clippers and the Lakers in terms of brand. Lakers are in a different level and the CLippers are not even in the same solar system with the Lakers. If the Lakers suck for two years which they did they still have national tevelvised game while if the Clippers suck for one year or even half a season, they will not get a sniff of any televised game. So how can a team beating a brand over a city when that brand already took the world? In order to be a face of a city you need to be the face of a neighborhood food. Clippers not even popular in any of the LA neighborhoods. 5 thousand people going to the Clippers ralley are a bunch of contrarians and laker haters. they need to change the brand or better yet move to Seattle.

You misunderstood epic. My point was that the lakers are not projected to be very good this upcoming season yet they still have a large amount of televised games. What does that tell you?

#18 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,360 posts

Posted August 21, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Are you insecure about the lakers, epic?
We already know it

Its not insecurity but more of irritation.  We all know that the Lakers are a great brand. Probably the best brand in all of sports. However, having a brand such as the Lakers tend to get a lot of haters .  A poll recently showed that in the U.S the Lakers is still the most loved sports franchise in all of sports while they are also the most hated franchise in all of sports. It shows that weather you love or hate the lakers, they still matter.   Another survery did outside of the U.S shows that the Lakers brand are huge especially in India and china.   So there is no insecurity about the Lakers as a brand.   The reason why I post this is because for the Lakers to be such a huge brand, a little chink in the armor will give way for haters to give misleading info.  I noticed people even on this messageboard saying the "aura of the purple and gold is dead" when its not true. That pisses me off. Its not inscurity but more of people telling lies.  Telling new generations that L.A is a Clippers town when it is false.  I aint worrying about older generations laker fans. All im worried about is the new generation fans who think that its a Clippers town because whats new is cool when in reality the Clippers shouldnt even be considered to have such agelations.   Maybe the today's players doesn't have much respect for the purple and gold as much as before but the Lakers is still the best brand in sports. If you dont believe me, go asked around.

#19 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,165 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 22, 2014 - 09:39 AM

The Lakers will always be one of the most premiered and respected franchises not only in the city of Los Angeles but the entire NBA. What truly stands out about this franchise is not the 16 hard-earned championships. It's when they were won. The 50's era, the Showtime era, the Shaq/Kobe era and finally the Kobe/Pau era. In each of those respected eras, if we may call it that, the Lakers won back-to-back championships. Time and time again the Lakers were able to assemble contending teams in varied periods of time. There is no other franchise that can claim that of themselves. While the Celtics won 11 championships in 13 years (8 straight with another back-to-back), there were very few teams in the league. While they did win a few more in the 1970-1980's, there was a 22 year drought before they won another in 2008. 

Currently, the Clippers are the better and more "fun" team to watch. Perhaps the newer generation of fans are siding with the Clippers. But who cares? Why does it matter? The Clippers can win a few championships and LA will still inherently belong to the Lakers. While the Lakers have made coaching and other mistakes, it's time to show some stability and right the ship. We have decent young pieces in Lin, Clarkson, Henry, Randle, etc. Depending on their respective developments, we're a marquee star (or multiple All-Stars) away from being a contender. Worst-case, we'll continue to trade assets or perhaps draft another player and be possible contenders in the 2020's era. 

We've had our fame. And we'll continue to in the near future. But there's no need to get irritated or anxious when other teams are prospering, with positive media attention, while the Lakers are not.

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 22, 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#20 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 995 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 26, 2014 - 08:59 AM

The foundation that the lakers have built throughout the years by winning championships in the city of LA is very hard to easily erase in the eyes of each LA residence. The clippers are a better team for the past couple of years and we're not taking anything away from what they've done lately but this topic shouldnt even be discussed coz clearly this is a laker town.

We "lakers" played the worse season last year and to come back with 5th most nationally televised games after a bad season.. It tells you how much the lakers mean to the nba.

As i said, the worse season but still made 100millions of dollars, that really tells us who is the real deal in LA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users