Photo

Do you think Lakers will make significant trade this season?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,866 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:08 AM

With a plethora of expiring contracts on the books, from Lin to Hill to Nash , do you think the Lakers may be able to pull off a significant trade?

Other assets include a first rounder from Houston, Julius Randle(blockbuster type deal), Clarkson(potentially), really any of our young guys if they start to play well given the contract situations

Now, the worse case scenario is us taking on an above average player with an outrageous contract, Josh Smith comes to mind

The best case scenario would be acquiring a player who is as valuable as his contract but unhappy, let's say for whatever reason NY and Melo continue to lose and Phil ultimately runs Melo out of town, and we have the adequate expirings along with Kelly and, maybe LIn-sanity back in NY..whatever.

Maybe Boogie Cousins, orRondo.

Maybe Hibbert.

I keep thinking....Caron for Kwame

Not sure what will happen, but my gut tells me that this roster will be different by the end of the season

#2 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,734 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:10 AM

If they do make a trade this season, I'm hoping it's for Rondo or Hibbert even though sadly, their GMs are both former Celtics.

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:41 AM

I dont think they'll get Rondo, who probably ends up in Sacramento or something, but i could see them going after someone like Hibbert, who imo would be the perfect fit on this current Laker team.

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,866 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:50 AM

If they do make a trade this season, I'm hoping it's for Rondo or Hibbert even though sadly, their GMs are both former Celtics.

By this logic, maybe Phil sends us Melo

Or West sends us Klay

Or Riles sends us Bosh

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,026 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:55 AM

I dont think they'll get Rondo, who probably ends up in Sacramento or something, but i could see them going after someone like Hibbert, who imo would be the perfect fit on this current Laker team.

Rondo imo likely winds up in New York.  Knicks are keen to overpay him imo. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,866 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:57 AM

Triangle favors shooters at the 1

Could see Lin-Phil getting along better than Rondo in terms of triangle guard

#7 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted August 11, 2014 - 01:08 AM

By this logic, maybe Phil sends us Melo

Or West sends us Klay

Or Riles sends us Bosh

Or McHale sends KG to Boston...

If both Lakers and Boston are going after Hibbert with similar packages i think Bird would prefer to trade with Celtics.

I think the Celtics either try to land a big name to put in their front court and then keep Rondo OR they move him for the best possible deal. The most likely scenario is that Rondo is gone by the beginning of the season.

Knicks may end up with Rondo next summer, but they dont have the assets to land him via trade.

Ideally we manage to land Hibbert - or some other elite rim protector - mid-season. A team with Lin, Kobe, Young, Randle, Boozer and Kelly wont have trouble scoring, i think, and adding an elite rim protector would change a lot.

#8 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,460 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2014 - 03:06 AM

Hibbert is the perfect long-term compliment for Randle and would make us a playoff team.

The problem is that we have nothing to offer. Our assets are very limited which makes acquiring anyone extremely difficult.
iyjywo.jpg

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,741 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 11, 2014 - 04:12 AM

Rondo and Melo together with shooters makes a ton of sense.  How would they be overpaying?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 782 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted August 11, 2014 - 06:29 AM

It goes down to what our record looks like by the trade deadline. If we are within the playoff status or if we are playing really well. A trade will probably happen to make a better push for the playoffs.

But if not, we'll have to watch this team all year long.

#11 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted August 11, 2014 - 07:42 AM

It goes down to what our record looks like by the trade deadline. If we are within the playoff status or if we are playing really well. A trade will probably happen to make a better push for the playoffs.

But if not, we'll have to watch this team all year long.

Or we are a seller, with expiring contracts and some veterans to offer to other teams, hopefully for young talent and picks.

#12 NomisR

NomisR

Rookie

• 21 posts
  • Fan Since:86

Posted August 11, 2014 - 08:04 AM

I think if we're able to do well over the season, the FO might try to pull off another Gasol type trade again to push us towards the finish line.  Otherwise, it'll just be small trades to build long term assets.

#13 Chick_Boys

Chick_Boys

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Fan Since:87
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:21 AM

I think that if Kobe can reverse age, and Steve Nash can eat [expletive]; then yes, perhaps a simple visit to www.rubmaps.com could fix everything.

#14 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted August 11, 2014 - 09:34 AM

We don't have anything of value to trade other than Randle and our 2019 pick (if that even is allowed?). So while I believe in Mitch and all there's not much on our roster anybody would want, especially for a player like Rondo or Hibbert. 

#15 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 11, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Other than maybe Randle (for potential reasons), who do we have that anyone would actually want?

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,026 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Other than maybe Randle (for potential reasons), who do we have that anyone would actually want?

Nash's expiring to a team like Indiana whom may want to make a run at Bledsoe could be of value as Hibbert's contract is for 2 more seasons.

#17 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,121 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hibbert rumors will intensify now

#18 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,134 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 11, 2014 - 01:16 PM

I gotta say the optimist in me likes the potential of Lin, Randle, Clarkson, and Nick Young.

If not a trade, MAYBE we can attract a FA coming up

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#19 KSOR24

KSOR24

Rookie

• 744 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:47 PM

We're not getting Hibbert without giving up Randle. It sucks because he would probably help us make the playoffs, but giving up Randle is not an option.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,026 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:51 PM

We're not getting Hibbert without giving up Randle. It sucks because he would probably help us make the playoffs, but giving up Randle is not an option.

We're not giving up Randle for Hibbert.   

Lakers should offer them Nash's expiring. They may hate it but considering the circumstances they may want Nash's expiring to come off the books next year so they can make somewhat of a run at Bledsoe, whereas they have Hibbert for 2 more seasons.  It could be more valuable to them to get that kind of expiring as opposed to keeping Hibbert for 2 more seasons cutting into their cap further. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users