Photo

Ram problem. 4gb installed. Only 3.46 avalible... Please help?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,834 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:32 PM

Alright. I decided to buy a game for pc. And went to systemrequirements to see if i can run it. I passed everything but the ram. I only had 3.46 gigs of ram. While 4 is needed

Upon investigation. I indeed have 4 gigs of ram, but only 3.46 are usable

I have a Asus laptop. It is running 64 bit windows 7 (so I'm not running into the 32 bit ceiling on ram )
It has a dedicated video card

How can I unlock that last half gig of ram?
It says it has ~0.5 gigs saved for system hardware?

Will it access that remaining portion of ram if need be?
I don't want to buy the game and have it not run...

But I do have 4gig of ram..

I tried a Method online to unlock All the ram(msconfig/boot/advanced/ set max memory to 4096 mb). However. This had disatoris effects and lowered my avalibe ram to 2.6 gig.
Also, could I create virtual ram with my 400 gigs of free hard drive space?
Would that fill the gap of the 0.5 gig of ram shortcoming?

How can I unlock all my ram on my pc?
Will the virtual ram cover what I need?
Will the ram that is there spring to action when needed?
Could i run the pc in safe mode free up the space?

Basicly, this thread is a direct SOS to wade, which could have been done in a personal message, but I'm putting online so if to help any other people in the future.

Please help...
Obi-wan-wade... Your my only hope...

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,237 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:50 PM

It's probably saying you have that much available. Ram is always being used so it's never going to be 100% available. If the game has a recommended 4 gbs and that's what you have then you should be fine. If not you could probably upgrade your ram to 8 if possible. Memory is pretty cheap. Should be able to get 8 gbs for 30 bucks.

#3 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 10, 2014 - 11:56 PM

Just so you know for the future, I am not the only member here who is interested in computers. There are other members here who hold CS degrees and can be of service to you. Luckily, I operate in the shadows (after midnight), so I got to see your SOS.

Your problem could be due to any number of reasons:

1) Bad memory blocks. In this case, I would try to diagnose which stick is faulty (using a utility called Memtest) and then replace it.

2) Could be using the remaining ~0.5GB for a specific purpose, like video.

You should go to Start -> Run

type: dxdiag

And post your display memory, dedicated memory, and shared memory. To work toward a solution, I would run that memtest. You could also re-format 7 if you believe to have done too much damage to your system settings. I would try a System Restore, first.

Edited by -Wade-, August 10, 2014 - 11:59 PM.
Possibly just hallucinated.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,834 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:33 AM

Thank you!
I will try both your suggestions tomorrow.
I saw some threads thru google mention memtest

I just got my internet going tonight. I will post the system info tomorrow. (Pc is in another room and I am in bed. Ands it's 4am. Lol. )
I will look into a ram upgrade (never hurts. I dropped 2 gigs of ram into my 2001 desktop back in 2011 and it made it run like a new pc!!!)

I have 1 gig of video memory dedicated to the video card on the video card, it is not drawn from the RAM...

Will the virtual memory solution work? Help improve it? Is virtual memory worth using or is it snakeoil? I used it in the past with minecraft with good succes. (It made a diffrence)

Also... A couple months ago, i merged my hard drive( it was partioned into 2 drives, 1 was full, and was causing problems. So i merged them, which caused my CPU to freak out and totally restart... As in, wiped and reinstall windows... I lost everything I mean. Everything... My 4 year old minecraft save. Legendary. Gone. Like that... It was easily the most depressing CPU moment ever for me..). So my pc is pretty new and clean...

This situation just seems a bit weird.
I have 4gigs. Yet, can only use 3.46.

Wade, I know there are other people who know CPUs pretty good. But... I'm sorry wade. It's like... If you know a really good fishing spot, yea there are other places you can catch fish, but, your going to keep going back to that really good, sure thing, great spot you already know... Until it runs dry or another spot outperforms it...

I will post pictures tomorrow... After I install fraps... Crap... Just realized all my fraps material is gone... So much good stuff..

#5 Rurouni

Rurouni

Rookie

• 11 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:42 AM

It's probably something that you can't do anything about it other than to upgrade your ram. You can right click anywhere on the desktop - screen resolution - advanced settings. You will see shared memory which is system memory being shared with video card. You can't do anything about it (afaik), it's a Windows thing. It doesn't matter if your video card is dedicated or on board.

#6 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

The Man With Double Picks

• 1,588 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:My Birth
  • Fav. Laker:BlackMamba-Magic-Queensbridge

Posted August 11, 2014 - 01:17 AM

Try to go to Start>Run and type "msconfig" (without the "). Then go to Boot and click on Advanced Options. At the top right corner you should see a "Maximum memory" option. Make sure it's unchecked.

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#7 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 920 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 11, 2014 - 03:39 AM

Try finding the model of your motherboard, and then try upgrading the BIOS' firmware.

#8 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:06 AM

I will post pictures tomorrow... After I install fraps... Crap... Just realized all my fraps material is gone... So much good stuff..

You may be able to use Recuva or photorec to recover the files. It may be a stretch considering how many months went by, but it may just be worth a try.

If that happens to you in the future, immediately use Recuva or photorec. It will increase your chances of data recovery.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#9 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Will the virtual memory solution work? Help improve it?

Assuming you are not running low on hard drive space, it couldn't hurt. Virtual memory uses space in the %temp% directory of the computer when you are on the edge of utilizing all of your random access memory to give you a bit of a boost. However, if your drive is a solid state drive, using virtual memory can actually take away from the performance of the SSD.

If a little extra virtual memory, memtest, paired with several other suggestions mentioned in this thread do not work, I would recommend that you purchase some more ram. If you are running 64-bit, you may want to try to get the most out of it. Ram is relatively cheap, you can pick up 4GB for about $40. Or 2GB for $20. Unless you are getting some higher performance sticks of ram, the general rate is $10/1GB.

wKNsigp.png

#10 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,791 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted August 11, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Virtually impossible to get 100% of your RAM if you're running Windows. Manufacturers reserve some of your RAM without your knowledge. You could torrent TinyXP if you want. Got me up to 3.9gb on my old computer back in the day.

Edited by Jackson, August 11, 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#11 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 986 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm on board with wade on the possibility of on board video using it to run windows gui.

May I ask which game you bought? 4gb of ram seems like a lot, unless that's not the minimum requirements and you're looking at recommended.

#12 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,834 posts

Posted August 11, 2014 - 03:57 PM

The forest.
4gigs is the min and recommended

Been wildly busy today...
When I get to my pc. I'll try the ideas you guys suggested..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users