30 replies to this topic

#21 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Why would Phil say "i'm only telling you this because of mitch"? that would not be his pitch at all.

The point is, he's not talking to Dwight as a coach with a plan. He's reaching out as a friend of Mitch with no real basis for why he should stay in LA. 

#22 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,326 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:06 AM

The point is, he's not talking to Dwight as a coach with a plan. He's reaching out as a friend of Mitch with no real basis for why he should stay in LA. 

i think the possibility of Phil coaching was still on the table at the point.

ap1.png

#23 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:11 AM

i think the possibility of Phil coaching was still on the table at the point.

During his postseason interview, Dwight asked for assurance that I would be coming back to coach the team, but Mitch quickly disabused him of that notion. He asked me to back him up on that and not send out a conflicting message. I agreed and told Mitch that I would reach out to Dwight and encourage him to sign with the Lakers.

#24 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,571 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:27 AM

If Dwight stayed who knows. Maybe Kobe signs for less. Maybe we have space for Carmelo. Maybe we win multiple championships with that trio. Who knows.

I will say this however.

This team would be looking a lot better right now if Mitch and Jimmy had waited until that Monday morning for Phil to accept that head coach offer. I think he would've stayed longer than one year.
iyjywo.jpg

#25 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:59 AM

If Dwight stayed who knows. Maybe Kobe signs for less. Maybe we have space for Carmelo. Maybe we win multiple championships with that trio. Who knows.

I will say this however.

This team would be looking a lot better right now if Mitch and Jimmy had waited until that Monday morning for Phil to accept that head coach offer. I think he would've stayed longer than one year.

Undoubtedly. 

#26 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,319 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 17, 2014 - 12:02 PM

Liked reading the section on Dr. Buss near the end and Phil proposing to jeanie to bring peace in his final days.

BTW Guessing David Stern didnt make the list of people Buss asked to see at the end.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#27 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2014 - 12:14 PM

this is typical Zen spin - put focus on himself and other teams, to take focus off of what he hasn't done this year.

agree.

#28 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I'm confused has he updated his book? I can't find an updated copy online, or is it just this article thats the "update"? 

#29 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,319 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 17, 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm confused has he updated his book? I can't find an updated copy online, or is it just this article thats the "update"? 

Maybe just a new forward for paperback copy?

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#30 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,436 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted July 17, 2014 - 06:06 PM

I knew the Jim didn't like the idea of his sister having the ultimate decision
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#31 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,815 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 18, 2014 - 08:02 AM

^
Right? That part that he didn't expect her to gain full power is really telling. We 're really in a [expletive]ty place right now.

Impossible is nothing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Howard, Mitch, Jimmy, Jeanie, DrBuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users