#1 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,790 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:28 AM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1869987

Several weeks later, the story came out that Dr. Buss, not Jimmy, had made the decision to go with D’Antoni. This seemed unlikely to me given the state of Jerry’s health — not to mention, Jimmy’s long history of impetuous decision-making — but it was impossible to verify that story one way or the other. In the end, it didn’t matter that much anyway. I was ready to move on.

It wasn’t until Dr. Buss died that I realized that how many people were dependent upon him. The list included not just his six children, but also his former partners, his devoted personal staff and the whole Lakers organization. Jerry was a warm-hearted, larger-than-life guy who’d had a hardscrabble childhood growing up in Wyoming. He never forgot how much the kindness of others had allowed him to climb his way out of poverty and achieve success.

After the funeral, however, Jimmy and Johnny were surprised to learn that Dr. Buss had named Jeanie as the Lakers’ voting member on the NBA’s board of governors. That decision essentially gave Jeanie final responsibility for the Lakers franchise.

After the playoffs, Mitch Kupchak came over to my house to discuss the team’s strategy for luring Dwight Howard, or D12, as he had come to be known, to stay with the Lakers...

GREAT READ!

Impossible is nothing.

#2 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

The Man With Double Picks

• 1,568 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:My Birth
  • Fav. Laker:BlackMamba-Magic-Queensbridge

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:54 AM

Great read indeed.

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#3 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,150 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 08:55 AM

He asked me to back him up on that and not send out a conflicting message. I agreed and told Mitch that I would reach out to Dwight and encourage him to sign with the Lakers. He never answered any of my messages.

If the meeting had ended there, it might have worked. But after the presentation, Dwight asked Kobe what he was planning to do after he recovered from his Achilles injury. Was this going to be his last year? “No,” replied Kobe. “I’m planning to be around for three or four more years.” At that point, according to others in the room, Dwight’s eyes went blank and he drifted away. In his mind, the game was over.

Dwight's a freakin baby.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#4 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,209 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Very good read

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#5 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Phil not helping the lakers. This will only hurt the lakers get free agents

#6 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,268 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:07 AM

Dwight can go eff himself. Never in a million years would I trade d for Kobe.

ap1.png

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,819 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Why would Dwight commit to the Lakers with a player that just blew his achilles that was already convinced he wanted to play another 3-4 years?  I don't care if its Kobe, 4 years is a long time for a player at that age. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,134 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:19 AM

This just proves my point that Dwight leaving was Kobe based. He could have lived with d'antoni if Kobe said he was retiring

Oh well, he'll go ringless in Houston so who cares?

The rockets are never becoming better than the warriors, clippers, thunder during Dwight's prime so tough luck?
Posted Image

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,177 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Goes to show that Dwight didn't even listen to Phil.  So there goes that theory. 

It is fantastic to know how Mitch went to go see him right after and was discussing strategy.  But Dwight didn't even want to talk to Phil.   smh.  I always said that Dwight was leaving regardless if Phil was here or not but at least I'd figure he'd have enough decency to at lease give Phil a listen to.   Not even that apparently. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 799 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:52 AM

This is old news: dwight is not the type the lakers would retire his jersey and hang them up. I think we're over reacting with his power physically but not his basketball skills.

Id be more mad if we got rid of kobe just to cater dwight's request and still end up losing in the end. Id rather go through this rough season with kobe than a clown like dwight.

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:59 AM

As a fan, I love reading Phil's autobiography.

But, man, people in the league must get annoyed at this [expletive]. I could imagine a lot of people not wanting a lot of this made public.

Oh well  :laughing:

#12 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:37 AM

Good people can shut up about the dying Buss hiring D'Antoni now. 

#13 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:41 AM

This just confirms all the skepticism around here. 

This organization is in flux after losing Jerry, and it might be awhile before it gets back on track. Kind of feels good that Dwight was gone no matter what though, and not dependent on Phil being there. 

#14 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 225 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:43 AM

this is typical Zen spin - put focus on himself and other teams, to take focus off of what he hasn't done this year.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#15 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Goes to show that Dwight didn't even listen to Phil.  So there goes that theory. 

It is fantastic to know how Mitch went to go see him right after and was discussing strategy.  But Dwight didn't even want to talk to Phil.   smh.  I always said that Dwight was leaving regardless if Phil was here or not but at least I'd figure he'd have enough decency to at lease give Phil a listen to.   Not even that apparently. 

It's different when Phil's the coach versus doing a friend a favor. 

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,177 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:49 AM

If Dwight had that much respect for Phil it wouldn't have mattered in what form Phil came to him as, he'd have listened or at least messaged the guy back. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#17 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:56 AM

If Dwight had that much respect for Phil it wouldn't have mattered in what form Phil came to him as, he'd have listened or at least messaged the guy back. 

It matters, because it's not "Hey Dwight, I'm coming back as the coach. I have a plan to post you up in the triangle offense and turn you into LA's next superstar." It's, "Hey, Mitch asked me to do this, so stay in LA." See the difference? 

#18 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,268 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Why would Dwight commit to the Lakers with a player that just blew his achilles that was already convinced he wanted to play another 3-4 years?  I don't care if its Kobe, 4 years is a long time for a player at that age. 

Age doesn't matter when speaking with elite athletes.  Think if would have mattered if it was jordan at that age? or Lebron?  Dwight didn't want to be pushed and continually talked too about taking things more seriously.  If kobe didn't somehow get healthy again and was forced into retirement, it would still be Dwights team.  The lakers prob wouldn't have paid kobe as much on his new contract, they would have surrounded Dwight with players that would fit him. Kobe prob wouldn't have had to rush back and injure his leg. Dwight is a child, he doesn't want the pressure of playing in the Lakers org. esp. with Kobe there.

ap1.png

#19 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,268 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 10:59 AM

It matters, because it's not "Hey Dwight, I'm coming back as the coach. I have a plan to post you up in the triangle offense and turn you into LA's next superstar." It's, "Hey, Mitch asked me to do this, so stay in LA." See the difference? 

Why would Phil say "i'm only telling you this because of mitch"? that would not be his pitch at all.

ap1.png

#20 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,175 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 17, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Anyone eagerly awaiting D'antoni's book?

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Howard, Mitch, Jimmy, Jeanie, DrBuss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users