#1 Chaos Mamba

Chaos Mamba

Rookie

• 92 posts
  • Name:Levi
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Rodman

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:04 PM

With the current best player in the world prolly where he will finish his career (Cleveland).

With no coach walking through the door with a system to maximize good/role players.

Even if we get Kevin Love, he has never carried a team anywhere. Although maybe he attracts someone like Durant.

No reason for Aldridge to leave his situation in Portland.

Dwight cant even recruit players to Houston. Or Melo in New York.

Durant is the 2nd best player in the world, I believe hes the only player that will attract players the way Lebron does.

Just looking at the landscape of the NBA, I see alot of stars that are comfortable in their situations. Except for Durant. I dont see any other 2 year realistic solution to make us a contender other than him.

Its going to take a superstar. Top 3 in the league. To right this ship.
Posted Image

#2 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Lol we aren't getting Durant. More like lotto picks or bust.

#3 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,615 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:17 PM

bust bust bust :D :D

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#4 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:18 PM

Durant is not leaving OKC.  And if by the slim chance he does, it will be to the Wizards or Knicks. 

#5 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,031 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:29 PM

Durant loves OKC. They haven't won anything yet, but they've been in contention for the past couple years, and they'll continue to do so as long as they keep adding onto Ibaka, WB, and Durant.

If the Thunder were any other team, Scotty Brooks would be fired for not winning a championship. Instead, they're staying loyal to him and letting him do his job. I'm not saying OKC will win, but they'll stay in contention as long as they keep the band together.

#6 Chaos Mamba

Chaos Mamba

Rookie

• 92 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:31 PM

Durant hasnt recruitted a single marquee FA to OKC. Hasnt been to the Finals since Harden left. I believe he cares about winning, dont see it happening in OKC.
Posted Image

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

If that's the plan its a bad one to bank on...

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,063 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

OKC isn't winning with their current makeup.  Losing Harden locked that team into be a top team in the west that doesn't have that extra push to make a championship run.   They've stayed more or less the same while other Western teams have gotten better and they just lost Caron Butler so.... 

They're back to Durant and Westbrook trying to lead a team to the finals. It's gonna take more than that and more than Jeremy Lamb and Reggie Jackson coming out of their shells.  

If the Lakers are planning on going after Durant in 2016 then they need to make sure two things have happened.

One they've built something in 2014 and 2015 that makes them a kind of team that looks like they are a piece or so away, and Randle is going to have to be a beast that would make a guy like Durant see a better future in Los Angeles.   

And it would take it constantly not working in OKC. 

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2014 - 12:33 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:34 PM

This line of thinking doesn't make any sense.  He already plays with 2 marquee players and OKC has had a load of a success considering the age of their big 3.  All 3 of them are under the age of 25 years old.  They have nothing but time to get this right.  Getting a better coach like Karl and finding balance on as a team should be priority for them and him.  Not dipping out to another team b/c we haven't won the Finals yet. 

I think Lebron leaving has everyone thinking every big time star wants to leave to win.  Lebron's situation was totally unique.  Cleveland was a bummy franchise with a bummy FO and he teamed up with 2 stars in their prime.  KD would be going backwards. 

Durant hasnt recruitted a single marquee FA to OKC. Hasnt been to the Finals since Harden left. I believe he cares about winning, dont see it happening in OKC.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:37 PM

They're still young and their front office still has time to get the necessary pieces around their main core.  Obviously the coach having a vanilla offense and playing Fisher and Perkins big minutes is a bigger deterrent to success than this so called KD and Westbrook can't work narrative that everyone wants to push.  Again, they have 3 highly talented players under 25.  OKC is like what Kobe/Shaq would have been if LA stuck with Del Harris instead of getting someone like Phil. 

OKC isn't winning with their current makeup.  Losing Harden locked that team into be a top team in the west that doesn't have that extra push to make a championship run.   They've stayed more or less the same while other Western teams have gotten better and they just lost Caron Butler so.... 

They're back to Durant and Westbrook trying to lead a team to the finals. It's gonna take more than that and more than Jeremy Lamb and Reggie Jackson coming out of their shells.  

If the Lakers are planning on going after Durant in 2016 then they need to make sure two things have happened.

One they've built something in 2014 and 2015 that makes them a kind of team that looks like they are a piece or so away, and Randle is going to have to be a beast that would make a guy like Durant see a better future in Los Angeles.   

And it would take it constantly not working in OKC. 

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:38 PM

Problem is Jody they already were in position to make a championship run.  That Harden trade set them back and they haven't recovered from it , and it doesn't look like they ever will.   There has been already about 4 or 5 teams that have made further improvements and strides in their roster and playoff runs in the East and the West before they have.  The Thunder are slowly but surely going to be left behind.   They're like the Sacramento Kings. Always there, never enough to push through, eventually will sink.

Edited by Majesty, July 15, 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#12 Chaos Mamba

Chaos Mamba

Rookie

• 92 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:43 PM

This line of thinking doesn't make any sense. He already plays with 2 marquee players and OKC has had a load of a success considering the age of their big 3. All 3 of them are under the age of 25 years old. They have nothing but time to get this right. Getting a better coach like Karl and finding balance on as a team should be priority for them and him. Not dipping out to another team b/c we haven't won the Finals yet.

I think Lebron leaving has everyone thinking every big time star wants to leave to win. Lebron's situation was totally unique. Cleveland was a bummy franchise with a bummy FO and he teamed up with 2 stars in their prime. KD would be going backwards.

Its not "dipping out" if nothing changes. And Westbrook shoots you out've 2 more Playoff series between now and then. What have you seen to make you think it will be different going forward? OKC has been going backwards since the Harden trade.
Posted Image

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:46 PM

The Harden trade hasn't set them back.  SAS getting better and Beverly killing Russ' knee in 2013 kept them out of the Finals.  Just b/c they didn't get to the Finals doesn't mean they regressed as a team.  They are actually a much more balanced and better defensive team than in 2012.  Ibaka, KD and Russ have all improved as players since 2012.  If Russ doesn't hurt against Houston more than likely OKC and SAS in a 7 game series last year and if Ibaka isn't out for 2 games vs SAS this year they have a very good chance of winning that series. 

Harden wasn't going to be a great fit there long term like most think he was.  He wasn't going to want to be a 6th man for the duration of his contract and maxing out 3 wing players is just not a good way to achieve success.  They had no way of balancing that roster without trading Harden.  They have Adams, developed Jackson, now all they need to do is let Lamb and McGary develop into good bench players.  Most important finding a coach that can create diverse looks on their offense.  All they do all game is run pin down screens for KD and pick/pop for a Russ drive or Ibaka mid range jumper.  No one else is involved in the offense. 

Problem is Jody they already were in position to make a championship run.  That Harden trade set them back and they haven't recovered from it , and it doesn't look like they ever will.   There has been already about 4 or 5 teams that have made further improvements and strides in their roster and playoff runs in the East and the West before they have.  The Thunder are slowly but surely going to be left behind.  

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:47 PM

So 2 major injuries that for sure cost them a run in 2013 and set them back against the Champs that blew out the Heat is signs of going backwards?  Sometimes you just have bad luck. 

Its not "dipping out" if nothing changes. And Westbrook shoots you out've 2 more Playoff series between now and then. What have you seen to make you think it will be different going forward? OKC has been going backwards since the Harden trade.

#15 DaveGrumbles

DaveGrumbles

Rookie

• 232 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba, Big Game James

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:48 PM

If that's the plan its a bad one to bank on...

Agreed. Lakers need to be working on gathering up the pieces and picks they need to win on their own instead of waiting around like a contestant on the bachelor for some dude to give them a rose.

The best players in the league always find a way to go wherever they want.  In 2016 if Durant's agent lets the Lakers know they are his preferred destination, it doesn't matter what their cap situation because they can always move talent and picks to clear the space to make it happen.

#16 Jsmoove

Jsmoove

Rookie

• 368 posts
  • Fan Since:2009
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Lol we aren't getting Durant. More like lotto picks or bust.

w581ej.gif

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,063 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:51 PM

The problem is Jody its up to you to build a team that can help compensate for it.  

Lakers fans call 2004 a failure despite getting to the finals, you have one or two that say "If Malone didn't get injured we would have.." 

The problem is these things happen. 

The Lakers lost to Detroit when Scott and Magic were injured.  They lost to the Bulls when Magic, Scott and Worthy were injured and then the next season Magic retired and we went through the "90s" stretch despite being a finals team the previous year.   

if Kobe doesn't go down in 2012 the Lakers maybe make a run and Dwight may not have left.  These things happen. 

The thing is do you think if the Thunder had Harden that losing Westbrook would have hurt them as much as it did?  Maybe they don't lose to the Grizzlies if that's the case, maybe they still make a run, who knows. 

Maybe if they had Harden they'd have had more of a punch against the Spurs when Ibaka went down.  You never know. 

The fact of the matter is they picked Perkins over Harden essentially by not amnestying him to pay James.  Now you can argue "Well could James have taken coming off the bench." 

With the regression of Sepholosha the coming seasons is there any argument to say that they couldn't have started Harden? 

Do you not think a starting 4 lineup of 

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Ibaka 

wouldn't have been a solid core to build around?   If that happens I think they WOULD have won the finals by now.  

#18 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 803 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:52 PM

did none of you hear his mvp speech? dude's a different cat. just don't see it happening...

#19 Chaos Mamba

Chaos Mamba

Rookie

• 92 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Lottery picks is a terrible answer. The Cavs only became relevant again when the best player went home to play for his city. Not because of those lotto picks.
Posted Image

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:55 PM

You can't build around 3 max players on the wing and another making 11M a year.  Without trading Harden there is no Adams, Lamb, Jackson developing or McGary on that team.  It was a sucky decision they had to make but it had to be done.  If you think it was simply b/c they were at impasse over 6M dollars over the course of 4 years you're fooling yourself and reading too much ESPN nonsense. 

Rob Pelinka is this dude's agent.  You honestly think that decision when OKC made it serious that Harden could be moved his agent wasn't pressing for the best outcome for his client?  Houston is by far a better situation for Harden even if he NEVER wins a ring.  In OKC he's just the 3rd wheel, in Houston he's the star player and has his own exposure as a player now. 

The problem is Jody its up to you to build a team that can help compensate for it.  

Lakers fans call 2004 a failure despite getting to the finals, you have one or two that say "If Malone didn't get injured we would have.." 

The problem is these things happen. 

The Lakers lost to Detroit when Scott and Magic were injured.  They lost to the Bulls when Magic, Scott and Worthy were injured and then the next season Magic retired and we went through the "90s" stretch despite being a finals team the previous year.   

if Kobe doesn't go down in 2012 the Lakers maybe make a run and Dwight may not have left.  These things happen. 

The thing is do you think if the Thunder had Harden that losing Westbrook would have hurt them as much as it did?  Maybe they don't lose to the Grizzlies if that's the case, maybe they still make a run, who knows. 

Maybe if they had Harden they'd have had more of a punch against the Spurs when Ibaka went down.  You never know. 

The fact of the matter is they picked Perkins over Harden essentially by not amnestying him to pay James.  Now you can argue "Well could James have taken coming off the bench." 

With the regression of Sepholosha the coming seasons is there any argument to say that they couldn't have started Harden? 

Do you not think a starting 4 lineup of 

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Ibaka 

wouldn't have been a solid core to build around?   If that happens I think they WOULD have won the finals by now.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users