Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 851 posts
  • Name:Gamertag: BAD JuJu x
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Russell Westbrook

Posted July 15, 2014 - 12:58 AM

Kobe fans.

and lol at trading Kobe. GL to however has the jewels to take on that age and salary. 

Edited by Ring Chaser, July 15, 2014 - 01:00 AM.

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @dapper_actual

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#122 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,055 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted July 15, 2014 - 01:17 AM

The whole trading Kobe thing and taking the route the Cavs did is making a whole lot of sense right now. We can do that and build the team like that. Im pretty sure free agents will be willing to look at us if we did that. Hell Boston is doing that. They traded Pierce and Garnett got picks and assets and they will be more enticing for free agents before we will.

#123 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,055 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 01:24 AM

I'd prefer that as well. But the reality is, Kobe, if healthy and playing his expected 33-34mpg, is going to try and win every game possible. As bad as the lakers' Roster currently is, that probably means winning "significantly" more than 27 games in the season. But what is that going to amount to? 34 wins? 40 wins? all that does is give us a worse draft position. while still not making the playoffs. and further handicapping our future with lesser talent.

i'd rather suck it up, trade kobe (again, as i noted, with his salary, very difficult) get some assets, and suck hard for 1-3 years and get some elite talent in the drafts.

that's basically what the Cavs did, albeit, with some insane luck in the lotteries.

obviously, reality is, kobe will never be traded.

I agree with all of this. Its a damn good contingency plan. We could possibly get a top 3 pick for the next couple years if we traded kobe and tanked. So then if and I do mean if Durant wants to leave we have Randle and two or 3 top 3 picks with cap space. So that definitely will seem more appealing than the [expletive] we have now.

#124 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2014 - 02:23 AM

Lol at the trade Kobe talks

He's not going anywhere. 

The North Remembers

#125 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,055 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 03:40 AM

He's not going anywhere.

We know that but if our front office had a plan that should be one of them because it makes sense.

#126 Legendary834

Legendary834

Immortal

• 123 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 15, 2014 - 03:47 AM

He's not going anywhere. 

Happens every year. :laughing:

#127 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,852 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:07 AM

Trading Kobe at this point doesn't really solve much, plus he'd have to initiate the idea anyway.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#128 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 244 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:15 AM

Kobe's not going anywhere. Period.

#129 xonx

xonx

Rookie

• 22 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:27 AM

No talent. Elite players want to be on winners not project teams.

Elite players take project teams and turn them into winners

Edited by xonx, July 15, 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#130 xonx

xonx

Rookie

• 22 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:28 AM

You guys are really dumb thinking Kobe should be traded smh

This

#131 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:47 AM

enough of this sacraficing for the team ish

Pau Gasol is GONE

#132 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:52 AM

I don't think people realize how much D'Antoni contributed to the wins last year.

Dude don't nobody care about that scrub of a coach lol; he "contributed" the same thing he did everywhere else: NOTHING

He's finito.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#133 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 04:54 AM

Lost Pau Gasol 

This is actually a blessing for Kobe.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#134 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,547 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 15, 2014 - 05:52 AM

FO knows exactly what theyre doing. Kobe is a commodity and puts butts in the seats. So they signed him. And KB wanted to cash in on the lil bit of basketball and/or star power he may have left in him. So they gladly reached a deal knowing the franchise had no shot of being competitive, but would be a hot ticket for KBs farewell seasons and money would still roll in. And KB wasnt gonna get the max on ANY other team. So they both win. Meanwhile they hope to develop Kobes successor.

The Kobe contract has ownership's and TWC's fingerprints all over it.  It is fine to rebuild, but from TWC's standpoint it is not fine to have nothing to market during the process.  The problem with it is it delays (by time and money) the rebuild process.

Debbie Downer

#135 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,547 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 15, 2014 - 05:55 AM

What the front office did was acquire assets in the Jeremy Lin deal while getting a young ball handling point guard that can dribble, pass and shoot of his own accord, probably the best one we've had and whose contract we only deal with for a year till we attempt to re-sign him for less if he's very good(and we'll have bird's rights).

We also ensured to re-sign a guy that can actually back up Kobe and be our main scoring threat on the bench, somethibg this team has sorely needed so tha Kobe doesn't have to always get off the bench and save us and play 38 mins a game.

We also re-signed our best hustler, rebounder from last year in Jordan Hill on a one year deal that gets extended if he continues to play well.

We basically re-signed our strongest pieces from last year except Jodie who got paid. Henceforth why you see Clarkson playing backup 2.

We also drafted top 4 talent Julius Randle who is going to be a beast for us and the next guy we likely build around and he gets two years in the kobe system.

Whether you like it or not we're a better team this year than we were last year. Without Kobe last year we were 6 wins from being a .500 team, adding Lin, Kobe, Randle to that equation probably changes things.

Does it make us a championship contender? No. But that wasn't happening in one year unless we landed Carmelo and or LeBron and that's the reality.

What the Lakers did was get a better team than last year and kept the significant pieces from it. We improved, not got worse(like say..the Houston Rockets).

This is a process and flexibility was kept for more moves in the future, home run or not, learn to deal with it.

Yep, spent 12 mill on a jump shooter with no conscience and an injury prone big.  Rumor out of Detroit is that Monroe can be had for that same $12m.  

Debbie Downer

#136 DaveGrumbles

DaveGrumbles

Rookie

• 232 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba, Big Game James

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:10 AM

If you don't have a realistic alterative, and nobody has given one. If Kobe took 10 mil less a year than we still couldn't sign two stars.

If Kobe takes $10M less, then Lakers start free agency with close to $40M in cap space. Isaiah Thomas, Ariza and Lance (probably under $9M) total would have been $24M. They would still be able to pull the Jeremy Lin deal plus re-sign Jordan Hill plus leave enough left over to add a couple cheap bench vets like Okafor.

In 2015, Jordan Hill (team option), Lin, Nash, Marshall expring plus a cap increase next year give you something like $28-30M in space to add another couple big names to that core group (M. Gasol, Aldridge, or Love) Plus now you have some chips to bargain with instead of just cap space and a dream.

That's a better core lineup now, and still have cap flexibility to take it to the next level next summer. 

Lance, Thomas and Ariza could have been signed regardless of Kobe's contract. So what exactly was your point?

You asked for a realistic alternative if Kobe took ten million less?? I gave you one.

You took half of what I said we could do with ten million extra cap space and ask what's my point? The point is I would NOT sign those three guys with Kobe's current contract because I wouldn't have the cap space to do the rest of the stuff on the list (Get Lin + picks for free, Offer a max deal next year, etc.)

The contract is a domino effect. No matter how many times a few fans repeat it to themselves....less cap space is NOT better or even equal to more cap space. It's a simple concept. MORE > LESS

#137 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,723 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted July 15, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Kobe could have gone for less money, that's what LeBron, Wade and Bosh did in Miami. Just with his cash inflow from his sponsorships he can keep up his lifestyle.
I don't think it's dumb to think like that, he could have gone for less to give us more flexibility but that's not how things work unfortunately.
Posted Image

#138 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,484 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 15, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Kobe could have gone for less money, that's what LeBron, Wade and Bosh did in Miami. Just with his cash inflow from his sponsorships he can keep up his lifestyle.
I don't think it's dumb to think like that, he could have gone for less to give us more flexibility but that's not how things work unfortunately.

his lifestyle?  How much money do you think the guy is spending.  He has enough for his life, his kids lives, and the existence of his family with zero income for the next several hundred years in complete luxury.  He took the contract because he knows that the Lakers have no chance of competing, it is great for his ego to have the biggest contract in the league, and because it is more money and that is what you are supposed to do.  20 million dollars over the course of 2 years to Kobe Bryant is nothing.  I don't fault him for taking it, I would to, its not my job to negotiate against myself, and its not my job to be a prudent GM and offer market value, the Lakers failed and he took the best offer.

#139 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted July 15, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Kobe fans.

and lol at trading Kobe. GL to however has the jewels to take on that age and salary.

The Clippers

#140 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,048 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted July 15, 2014 - 10:17 AM

Guys he would have taken less if there was a reason for him too. But as you can see this summer and with MDA and Dwight, there was no plan at all. At that point it made sense for him to cash in on what was left of his illustrious career. He probably saw this all coming from a mile away. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, July 15, 2014 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users