182 replies to this topic

#81 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,420 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:43 PM

Carmelo is getting paid more than Kobe is on the Knicks max deal and he's the 5th best small forward in the league behind LeBron, Durant, George and (potentially) Leonard apparently =P Kobe was pretty much still the best shooting guard in the league and a top 3 player before the injury. Sans the injury we've yet to see what he can do when fully healthy. So we'll see this year if he plays up to it.

If he does I look forward to refreshing threads like this.

Understand this Chad. Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki only took paycuts when their career was at the tail end and they were no longer top 10 players in the league anymore. Kobe for all intents and purposes was the 3rd best at the very least if you put Durant and LeBron ahead of him.

We'll see next year if Kobe still has it. For all intents and purposes he should, and it is our duty of putting people around him that takes the pressure off of him a bit.

Lin does that because he can get his own shot, can pass and can finish inside and play the point competently and score.

We have Nick Young coming off the bench whom has shown the capability to be a scorer off the bench and be the bench leading scorer and that is going to help keep Kobe on the bench for longer periods of time which will help save Kobe's legs a bit.

On top of that we brought in our best interior defender and rebounder from last year in Jordan Hill, like it or not, and we get to pair him with another grit and hard worker in Julius Randle and are expecting them to help us from the second chance point of view. Hustle won't be an issue with those two.

Our starting 3 has yet to be resolved, but IF it's Xavier Henry, the kid is basically a fearless tank who will work hard on the defensive end and gives 100% effort every night, has more guts than brains sometimes but that's not a particularly bad thing.

And as I already said, Lin at the 1.

So basically what you've surrounded Kobe with is young talent that will take care of the hustle aspect as well as the hard work blue collar aspect of it and Kobe isn't gonna have to worry about them NOT giving an effort and would keep a winning attitude which is very important right now.

With the bench you'll likely have Kendall Marshall who can move the ball around as we already know, you'll have Jordan Clarkson whom is our rookie combo guard who will be looked at to score and create from time to time, at the three you'll have Nick Young, at the 4 Ryan Kelly and at the 5 Sacre(or Thompkins but that's my wishful thinking). But Marshall is capable enough as the 1 to get everyone involved to keep the bench offense from being stagnant.

But all and all that's a fine bench and retained our strongest pieces there with the exception of Bazemore.

Kobe is actually coming back to a stronger team than he had last year both from an effort standpoint and a youth standpoint. They don't have to be contenders right away but they need to continue to get better and that's the most important thing right now.

Our roster isn't one Kobe will have to play 40 minutes a night to keep afloat because of the bench he has and he won't have to worry about the effort or the "old" aspect as our starting lineup sans him is an average age of 23.2 and our bench age averages at 24.1

So Kobe is surrounded by a young team for all intents and purposes, they are no longer old as [expletive] as he called it. He's the oldest guy on the team and the oldest next to him is Nick Young who is 29. If you want to include Nash he'd be the oldest at 39 but he isn't going to play much if at all.

The Lakers plan right now is to create a young team and have Kobe as the veteran, and see what they can do with it and what additional pieces they can add to them. They also save enough cap space from off-season to off-season to make a run at a big time talent if they needed to, and still have enough to re-sign the guys that panned out in the previous year just in case they don't land anyone.

The Lakers are actually building the right way currently considering the free agency class in 2014, and now in 2015. It gives them a chance to sign these guys in the free agency class. I'd much rather keep the stronger pieces from last year while still keeping the flexibility to go after a Rondo, or a Deandre Jordan or a Marc Gasol in 2015 than waste all we had in 2014 on extremely long term contracts that takes us out of the free agency hunt till 2017. When you're a contending team you can do those kinds of things cause you aren't looking at a rebuild for a while in your mind. The Lakers are not in that position so they shouldn't act like it. And they aren't.

This is a very long and ridiculous post. The big crux of your argument is that Kobe is a top 3 player. Just making sure?

#82 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,395 posts
  • Name:Artemis
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Horry

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:48 PM

How would having a bit more money in cap NOT help the situation...whatever that situation may be.

Example: you want a house, fully decked and furnished. The house, minus the furnishing, is in its best, mediocre. The decked out house costs you 10,000,000...the mediocre house costs you 5,000,000. You only have 8,000,000 in your pocket because you paid too much to upgrade your car. A friend says, "You should not have paid so much to upgrade your car. You could have spent that money to buy a furnished home." Then you say, "Nah, that extra two million would not have mattered".

:blink:

That was some Eric Pincus stuff. I think I confused even myself.

Edited by artemis, July 14, 2014 - 05:33 PM.

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Posted Image

rest in paradise bestie matt
8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#83 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,176 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:49 PM

This is a very long and ridiculous post. The big crux of your argument is that Kobe is a top 3 player. Just making sure?

Nope. you'll have to play the game again I'm afraid  :(

Edited by Majesty, July 14, 2014 - 01:49 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#84 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,712 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:51 PM

if kobe took less money.. blah blah blah.. like the veto, folk need to move on. it is all said and done.
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#85 kidpolean

kidpolean

Rookie

• 668 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Why do the FO defenders assume that it had to be Lebron & Melo or nothing? If Kobe takes $10M less, then Lakers start free agency with close to $40M in cap space. Isaiah Thomas, Ariza and Lance (probably under $9M) total would have been $24M. They would still be able to pull the Jeremy Lin deal plus re-sign Jordan Hill plus leave enough left over to add couple cheap bench vets like Okafor.
In 2015, Jordan Hill (team option), Lin, Nash, Marshall expring plus a cap increase next year give you something like $28-30M in space to add another couple big names to that core group (M. Gasol, Aldridge, or Love) Plus now you have some chips to bargain with instead of just cap space and a dream.
That's a better core lineup now, and still have cap flexibility to take it the next level next summer. And it didn't require a miracle...just a plan.

The alternative is they will be just good enough to avoid a top 5 pick and they'll be back to begging a top player to come play with absolutely nobody again next year. And fail at it.

defenders? Come on really? If u actually read the entire post before quoting you would have seen where I clearly stated that we could have gotten one quality starter. Go ahead and read it now...

btw...the Lakers did not want Thomas, that has nothing to do with Kobe's contract. What you guys dont realize is that the Lakers wanted a star and If they couldn't get one than this was their plan. They never wanted to sign these players or they would have. Lance, Thomas and Ariza could have been signed regardless of Kobe's contract. So what exactly was your point?

Edited by kidpolean, July 14, 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#86 dakidblu

dakidblu

Rookie

• 347 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Fisher Lamar

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Lol people act like we couldnt pick up pieces with the money we had. We still could have got stephenson, thomas, lowry, ariza or anyone but the FO didnt do a dmmn thing. They could have stretched Nash gave us close to 30 mill and got two with space left over really. Shoulda have got ariza and stephenson. Had the front office at least got one or two maybe resigns and we actually have a solid starting 5 and can fill out the bench. People act like it prevented the lakers from making moves at all and thats not the case they just chose not to.

#87 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Ok.  No one is blaming Kobe.

Again, blame the FO for the deal. 

Btw, melo wanted to be a knick, and lebron wanted to be a cav. Bosh wanted to be in the heat.

There was no one besides lance and Isaiah that we had a real chance at getting.  

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#88 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,176 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:00 PM

Lol people act like we couldnt pick up pieces with the money we had. We still could have got stephenson, thomas, lowry, ariza or anyone but the FO didnt do a dmmn thing. They could have stretched Nash gave us close to 30 mill and got two with space left over really. Shoulda have got ariza and stephenson. Had the front office at least got one or two maybe resigns and we actually have a solid starting 5 and can fill out the bench. People act like it prevented the lakers from making moves at all and thats not the case they just chose not to.

Yeah lets use 27 million of the 30 cap space we have left over after stretching Nash on 3, 4 year contracts ^_^  effectively locking us in as a middle of the pack team with no financial flexibility  :)

Isaiah thomas 7 million for 4 years
Ariza 8 million for 4 years
Lance Stephenson 12 million for 4 years 

Congrats, you have a middle of the pack team with absolutely no financial flexibility in 2015 or 2016 and having no shot at Rondo, Deandre Jordan or Marc Gasol congrats :)

Edited by Majesty, July 14, 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#89 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:03 PM

No.

Pat Riley is.

#90 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:04 PM

agree w OP. when you completely lose out on 50% of whats left of your career ; thats tough

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#91 kidpolean

kidpolean

Rookie

• 668 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:16 PM

agree w OP. when you completely lose out on 50% of whats left of your career ; thats tough

losing Lebron is worse.

#92 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 954 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Wow... People still talking about this. Amazing

#93 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 620 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:29 PM

losing Lebron is worse.

ewwwwwww  ….thirsty much ?

''cant beat join em''
-Lebron        2011-2014 

#94 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,309 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:38 PM

How would having a bit more money in cap NOT help the situation...whatever that situation may be.

Example: you want a house, fully decked and furnished. The house, minus the furnishing, is in its best, mediocre. The decked out house costs you 10,000,000...the mediocre house costs you 5,000,000. You only have 8,000,000 in your pocket because you paid too much to upgrade your car. A friend says, "You should not have paid so much to upgrade your car. You could have spent that money to buy a furnished home." Then you say, "Nah, that extra two million would not have mattered".

:blink:

That was some Erica Pincus stuff. I think I confused even myself.

I was just in "wat" mode after I finished reading that.

I think Kobe will benefit from being able to surpass Jordan in scoring for sure now. Doesn't have to pass the ball anymore.

#95 kidpolean

kidpolean

Rookie

• 668 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:01 PM

ewwwwwww  ….thirsty much ?
''cant beat join em''
-Lebron        2011-2014 

what??? What does the heat losing lebron have to do with me being thirsty?

#96 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 951 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:18 PM

If you all stop and think.. Who did we really sign this off season besides the ones we already have in our roster last season? Can you guys name one?

We lost on the bid for bazemore & meeks while waiting for carmelo.

The laker fans are being cheated right now. We desserve more than this. They cant be putting up stupid rosters and expect us to give our hard earned money to watch them give us a mediocre team.

#97 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 612 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:23 PM

If you all stop and think.. Who did we really sign this off season besides the ones we already have in our roster last season? Can you guys name one?

The laker fans are being cheated right now. We desserve more than this. They cant be putting up stupid rosters and expect us to give our hard earned money to watch them give us a mediocre team.

Mitch effed up and Baze should have been a priority Re signing even if a little inflated. Another missed opportunity to lock up a low risk high reward player for our rebuild. WTH were they thinking? Smh.

#98 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,176 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yes cause you'd have paid Meeks that much

#99 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 951 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:40 PM

Yes cause you'd have paid Meeks that much

I totally understand about meeks not being back because he played good last yr but i will not pay him that much money..

My thing is, we keep holding on to our cap space and letting the role players go. We cant just sit here and say. Kevin love, kevin durant, lamarcus, klay. We are the lakers & we have the money to pay you. Then they will look at our roster with what? we have 1yr of kobe, we have sacre, randle and whoever else thats left on the roster next yr.

The pressure is real in LA and the players knows that but if theyre coming here to play with a big contract the pressure gets bigger because they have no one to help them. I feel cheated because i need to work hard for my money to pay for my cable. Lost my job 2yrs ago and i told my wife i can sacrifice anything but cable to see the lakers. Then this is what we are all getting. Jeremy lin, jordan hills fat contract, grandpa nash, old kobe and a bunch of 1yr contract players.

#100 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,176 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:44 PM

The only three we've let go is Meeks and Bazemore.  We re-signed Young and are trying to re-sign Henry.   How big is the difference?  and Farmar of course. But Lin is obviously better than Farmar

Edited by Majesty, July 14, 2014 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users