182 replies to this topic

#1 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Kobe's last two years sadly will be destined for mediocrity and no championships and no playoffs
the lakers have handled the end of his career very poorly ….kobes contract was a mistake 

Lost Pau Gasol 

Didn't get Melo 

Nash wont be back or a factor 

Probably won't get Kevin love

No trade assets 

This is the end  for you sadly mr. Bryant 

where do they go from here???

Edited by UNLABORED FLAWLESS, July 14, 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#2 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,789 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Kobe lost when he said yes to the contract.  The implications of it were obvious, then and now.  Not bashing him in any way- its ok to choose the money over rings, guys do it all the time.  Melo just did it too.

#3 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,496 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Kobe lost when he said yes to the contract.  The implications of it were obvious, then and now.  Not bashing him in any way- its ok to choose the money over rings, guys do it all the time.  Melo just did it too.

Yep, I can't get mad at Kobe because I probably would have taken the money too if I already had 5 rings.....

He knew what he was doing. 

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,003 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:28 AM

#5 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

I think it's dumb when people talk about Kobe's contract limiting what the Lakers could do this free agency. 

Melo wasn't coming, Lebron wasn't coming, Pau wasn't coming back unless one of the people that were not coming, came. none of the top players were coming to LA. they all took max contracts to stay where they were at, except for Lebron who took max to go home.

Am I disappointed in what the Lakers plan D was? definitely, but putting it on Kobe's extension is dumb.

#6 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts

Yep, I can't get mad at Kobe because I probably would have taken the money too if I already had 5 rings.....

as  a competitor i don't wanna believe that is the case for him …but if so …he sealed his fate 

#7 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 565 posts
  • Name:Gamertag: BAD JuJu x
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:TBD

inb4 the Kobe defenders attack.

-whoops! too late. :smh:

Edited by Ring Chaser, July 14, 2014 - 08:29 AM.

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @HoBbes___

#8 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:30 AM

I think it's dumb when people talk about Kobe's contract limiting what the Lakers could do this free agency. 

Melo wasn't coming, Lebron wasn't coming, Pau wasn't coming back unless one of the people that were not coming, came. none of the top players were coming to LA. they all took max contracts to stay where they were at, except for Lebron who took max to go home.

Am I disappointed in what the Lakers plan D was? definitely, but putting it on Kobe's extension is dumb.

notice in my original post i said nothing about lebron …..didnt want him on the lakers …I'm not a fan of the can't beat em join em  which lebron clearly represented for the past 4 years 

#9 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:34 AM

He did it to himself.

#10 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:35 AM

notice in my original post i said nothing about lebron …..didnt want him on the lakers …I'm not a fan of the can't beat em join em  which lebron clearly represented for the past 4 years 

Exactlly the bar for championships has been forever lowered thanks to Lebron.

#11 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Nobody is bigger loser than Pat Riley & Wade

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#12 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,819 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:40 AM

POPULAR

Kobe's contract isn't what did the Lakers in, it did limit some of what they could have done this offseason but the reason why the Lakers are in the position they are now started long before Kobe's deal

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#13 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:44 AM

You can't divorce Kobe's contract from the problem's the Lakers faced in Signing FAs. Kobe had a great career but it will end with an unceremonious thud.

#14 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,789 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:44 AM

I thought it was delusional to think that LBJ and Melo were coming too, but that does not preclude looking at the next level of impact FAs that could have come if we had the $ to sign 2 or more of them.  So let one of the "dumb" posters spell it out for you:

-Kobe delays signing until ... oh about now ... like Dirk did.

-FO has major $ to chase 2 max or close to max players not named Melo and LBJ.  Deng, Bledsoe, Monroe, Stephenson, Gortat, and still has $ for guys like Thomas.  Would we have overpaid for 2 from that group?  Probably.  But when you have virtually no draft picks, you have no other choice to get talent.

-We sign 2 from the previous group, now we have a talent core, counting Randle.  Other 2nd tier FAs are attracted.  You think Pierce, Carter, Blatche etc would have listened when we called if he already had say Deng, Monroe and Thomas in the fold?  You think Pau makes a different decision?

-Then, you approach Kobe and convince him to take a modest deal like Dirk's.  Does he do it?  Likely yes, because he has a shot at something his last 2 years.

-Looking forward to 2015/ 2016, are we more of an attractive destination to Love, Durant and Westbrook as well as other premier FAs?  I think so.

It is NOT a great plan, because the cupboard is bare.  But is IS a better plan that what the FO has put together so far.

#15 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,280 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Kobe's contract isn't what did the Lakers in, it did limit some of what they could have done this offseason but the reason why the Lakers are in the position they are now started long before Kobe's deal

Kobe's contract put the last nail in the coffin. It's scary to think if 2015 and 2016 (kd) they have the same offseason, lakers f**** for years

Edited by Miggs, July 14, 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#16 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:49 AM

That's true and a lot of that stems once again from overpaying on earlier Contracts, and the Lakers refusal to get younger. The FO bungled it's way to irrelevance the last two years and now there is no other option but to rebuild.

#17 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:51 AM

I thought it was delusional to think that LBJ and Melo were coming too, but that does not preclude looking at the next level of impact FAs that could have come if we had the $ to sign 2 or more of them.  So let one of the "dumb" posters spell it out for you:

-Kobe delays signing until ... oh about now ... like Dirk did.

-FO has major $ to chase 2 max or close to max players not named Melo and LBJ.  Deng, Bledsoe, Monroe, Stephenson, Gortat, and still has $ for guys like Thomas.  Would we have overpaid for 2 from that group?  Probably.  But when you have virtually no draft picks, you have no other choice to get talent.

-We sign 2 from the previous group, now we have a talent core, counting Randle.  Other 2nd tier FAs are attracted.  You think Pierce, Carter, Blatche etc would have listened when we called if he already had say Deng, Monroe and Thomas in the fold?  You think Pau makes a different decision?

-Then, you approach Kobe and convince him to take a modest deal like Dirk's.  Does he do it?  Likely yes, because he has a shot at something his last 2 years.

-Looking forward to 2015/ 2016, are we more of an attractive destination to Love, Durant and Westbrook as well as other premier FAs?  I think so.

It is NOT a great plan, because the cupboard is bare.  But is IS a better plan that what the FO has put together so far.

Stop making sense, it will only upset the people still defending Kobe's extension.

#18 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 565 posts
  • Name:Gamertag: BAD JuJu x
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:TBD

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Full of what could of been....

welcome-to-la-chris-paul_crop_exact.jpg?

lebron-a-laker.jpg?w=610

Carmelo-Anthony-Lakers.jpgdwight_250.jpg

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @HoBbes___

#19 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Did LAkers have $ to bring in a max guy now? Yes

Do LAkers have $ to bring 1 in next yr? Yes

So come again as to why Kobe contract made free agents decide not to come?

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#20 Gman

Gman

Rookie

• 25 posts
  • Name:Felix
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:"Big Game" James Worthy

Posted July 14, 2014 - 09:00 AM

clearly Jim and Mitch didn't know what to do with all that extra money in front of them. Palms got all sweaty, d!(k$ got all hard and drained all the blood from their brains lol. How in the faQ can you go "all in" without knowing how to put things together? Geezuz! I had a feeling when they went both for Melo and Lebron (stupid), then offered Melo the max ("stupidurr"), then when both were not clearly coming, we went and overpaid JHill, Swaggy laughed all the way to the bank (that pissed me off), shouldve given that dough to Bazemore IMO, got nothing for Pau (held on too long)! We got Lin (meh), another flexibilty move...for NEXT YEAR! Wow. Nash's nerves are still irritated and he's still broke physically, but manages to play soccer? Did I miss anything else? Seems like Jim and Mitch missed on a lot lol. Only way I can forgive these tools if JRandle and JClarkson pans out and become allstars, max, or even very productive and "we can be proud" to be Lakers players! I know they're rookies but for some reason I'm excited to see these two play for us. Last time I felt like this for rookies? 1996, ;)

lakernation_sig_zps6e792adb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users