94 replies to this topic

#41 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:54 AM

In recent years they have done nearly as bad as you can possibly do. I have long maintained that there would be a day if reckoning for all the terrible decisions and it is here now. The only good thing they have done this season is not severely overpay on long term rosters. Their only prayer is to have some of these guys start to form a core that will attract free agents, which usually doesn't happen on one year and low paid guys. Gonna be some work, some luck and then the FO actually having a cohesive plan.

#42 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Chris Paul to the lakers - david stern blocked it.
Mike Brown hiring - 60 something win season after he got fired. "Not that bad of an idea."
Nash signing - 2 time mvp in phoenix capable of playing good mins. At that time still good idea til he broke his leg.
Dwight trade and left.. It wasnt the FO's fault.
Signing MDA - ugh.
We went after lebron and carmelo - they chose to go elsewhere. Not the FO's fault.

Now this is what we have..

#43 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted July 14, 2014 - 06:33 AM

The Nash trade was bad. I understood the logic going all in but we got jammed on that one. I don't blame Mitch for LBJ or CM not coming. Under the circumstances, realistically they never were.

The new CBA has changed the nature of the entire business. Mitch better learn to adapt. The days of landing a huge FA are fewer and farther between.

The front office has to adapt. We have to develop our talent not buy it off the street. This is going to take a while. An impatient Laker fan base better brace themselves. If anything can come of this I hope we can rid ourselves of a few bandwagon fans. Next few years will tell who the real Laker fans are.

#44 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,023 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted July 14, 2014 - 06:52 AM

We have the most overrated front office in the league now

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#45 Lebronion Rings

Lebronion Rings

Rookie

• 116 posts
  • Name:Reid Ponce
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Right. Tell that to the 20 other Front Offices with 0 rings and counting.

#46 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:15 AM

I agree with the OP.

I think we're set up for some miracle trade soon. We could use these big fat contracts ro trade for a young player on a team with little flexibility.

#47 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,748 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:16 AM

No thanks.  Just as I will not thank the car wash attendant for trashing my car, I will not thank the FO.  Aside from Chris Paul and D12 trade what exactly have they done that was great?  As said earlier, they picked MDA over Phil.  They were so delusional that they thought Dwight was staying that they got nothing for them.  They had multiple chances to trade Pau for something and got nothing.  Steve Nash for four draft picks is too much.  Last season was the worst of all time...yet they didn't immediately fire MDA, and their roster "upgrades" are like putting spinners on a 1989 Corolla.  There are good, and there are bad things that they have done; but at the end of the day, this FO has not been top notch.  So go ahead and count me out of the FO appreciation thread.  If there is a Michael Cage appreciation thread, please count me in.

#48 Lebronion Rings

Lebronion Rings

Rookie

• 116 posts
  • Name:Reid Ponce
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:21 AM

At the rate at which wing players are being overpaid, nick young is prime trade bait in 2 or 3 years. Not to mention how much he will fill the stat sheet on a scrub team.

I'll thank the FO for trying to hit Home Runs almost every year and being successful half the time. But the Phil Jackson move will always be a stain on their record.

#49 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Right. Tell that to the 20 other Front Offices with 0 rings and counting.

The current situation is a direct reflection of the current regime.  They inherited a fantastic situation and they won with it, but they made plenty of terrible decisions that led us to where we are now.  They can turn it around, they are in one of the best markets possible, they have a once in a generation player and they have the same money to spend as every other GM in the league, its on them to put together a good roster, which they have failed to do this offseason.

#50 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,321 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted July 14, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Am I the only one that is happy with the effort that the FO gave us this free agency period? We were not suppose to be in the running for Melo (or Lebron kind of) but somehow we were in contention at the end. I hear alot of members complaining about not signing building blocks for the future like Isaiah, and Lance

Isaiah Thomas is 5'9 and lacks vision ( yes i watch sac games hes a pure scorer that doesnt play D)- not sure why members here want him so bad. Theres a reason SAC let him go.

Lance Stephenson has a much more complete game but is he worth 12-14 mill per year? This is the same guy that assaulted his GF. Especially for the amount of years he wants?

Not sure why people here think these guys are going to be "building blocks" to lure free agents to come to LA. 

Jeremy Lin deal =  we got him for free... plus a draft pick  lol

Swaggy P = 5 mil a year for a solid bench player is not a lot considering the cap is like 60 million.

Jordan Hill- Yes hes overpaid but its only for a year. How many centers are free agents this year that would be willing to sign for a 1 year deal. Monroe is the only other center worthy but he wants a max.. Lets put it this way if we didnt sign Jordan Hill, we would have to start Sacre or a vet min like okafor. I would much rather have Hill.

The FO also drafted Randle, and Clarkson - both are looking very solid in summer league

I know you guys all dont feel the same way but im happy with the moves so far from FO. They tried everything they could to get Melo but not everything works out way sometimes. Also proud of them for not being irrational and signing young players to long term contracts just to please impatient fans. 

PJ_itsucks_zps809c3723.jpg

#51 DaveGrumbles

DaveGrumbles

Rookie

• 201 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba, Big Game James

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:15 AM

I don't think anyone on a national level says they're a great front office. I think Mitch is still respected for sure but people around the league understand that Jim Buss' power has grown exponentially since Jerry became ill and then finally passed. These days Mitch just pushes the buttons that Jim tells him to push.

And the fans still touting all the rings...those rings weren't brought to you by Jim Buss' genius. He just rode the tail end of what someone else built for him. Rode it to some success and then rode it right into the ground. And that's why nobody is clamoring to come play for Jim Buss' Lakers. There is no belief that he understands what it takes to build a winner and there is no trust in his basketball philosophy...if he has one.

#52 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,875 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'll always appreciate the Lakers FL because they have consistently produced a winning product over the past 34 years that I have been watching them.

The team made some offers to players that did not work out for them.

I look forward to trade deadline and where we land in the draft after this season.

Edited by steven v, July 14, 2014 - 03:34 PM.

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#53 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,704 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:28 AM

I don't think anyone on a national level says they're a great front office. I think Mitch is still respected for sure but people around the league understand that Jim Buss' power has grown exponentially since Jerry became ill and then finally passed. These days Mitch just pushes the buttons that Jim tells him to push.

And the fans still touting all the rings...those rings weren't brought to you by Jim Buss' genius. He just rode the tail end of what someone else built for him. Rode it to some success and then rode it right into the ground. And that's why nobody is clamoring to come play for Jim Buss' Lakers. There is no belief that he understands what it takes to build a winner and there is no trust in his basketball philosophy...if he has one.

Well said

#54 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:29 AM

I lok forward to trade deadline and where we land in the draft after this season.

That's how you know things are bad: When your fans are looking forward to the draft...particularly after one was just completed. That's how I've felt about my Tampa Bay Bucs for a while lol

Edited by Windu, July 14, 2014 - 08:29 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#55 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,065 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:33 AM

It's ok. Apparently the front office doesn't mind wasting seasons.

#56 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 514 posts
  • Name:they call me smoov
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:TBD

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:35 AM

omg...I couldn't of worded this better.

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @thisguyhere89

#57 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Jim & jeanie can go to the corner

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#58 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:40 AM

my problem with how they handled it is that there were some quality players that other teams snatched up because they were not delusional to think they could could get a high end FA. we were instead left holding the bag when the other people left. the guys that would have been a solid plan b were taken by teams that didn't try to go after the top level FA that we didn't really have a chance at getting.

#59 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,485 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:50 AM

Some people suggesting stretching? That's just a bad idea. That waste 3 million of our cap space for next season and 2016... 

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#60 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,485 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 08:51 AM

Overrated and yet we have more championships in the last 6 years then almost half the league.  :smh:

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users