#21 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,127 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:49 PM

Of course not, that was a solid team. But allowing Brown to go with the Princeton was a bad idea

Princeton was Kobe's idea btw. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#22 arcticcave

arcticcave

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobw

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Of course not, that was a solid team. But allowing Brown to go with the Princeton was a bad idea and hiring MDA over Phil, when Phil would have been key in keeping Dwight was a mistake.

But when the injuries did come, they chose not to add depth. We struggled defensively and guys like Delonte West, Ronnie Brewer, Chris Andersen and Kenyon Martin - just to name a few - would have been able to help keep us afloat when Pau/Dwight sat out.

Dwight leaving was pretty obvious and the fact that we didn't get anything in return was a travesty.

All the guys we signed were guys that needed a revival. They took less to showcase their talents on a big stage in LA.

Dont even get me started on Kobe's contract, which is one of the main reasons why we are in this mess this summer.

That's the whole problem. Basically to get a real star, you need complementary players first. We have none.

The coaching decisions is one thing i cant defend from the FO

but really? Delonte West? Birdman? Ronnie Brewer?  We had Antawn Jamison, Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks. There is really nothing you can complain about here.

S/T - you cant do one if the player doesnt want it. Dwight wanted to go to Houston with the core they had there. It would be pointless for him to do a S/T

Kobe's contract was ridiculous, but you act like we were in a "mess: We had 23 mil in cap space and maybe more if we got rid of nash. There wasnt anyone on the market we couldnt sign. Cap space was not really an issue unless you wanted a Melo+Lebron team

#23 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:29 AM

No direction no coach.. Why are you saving cap space when you can get assets that can help? No one would want to come in 15 or 16 unless the Lakers be missing "The Star". Keeping cap space isn't ideal if you're saving it for superstars especially after having seasons like we had last year..

I want Lance that bad. And assaulting his GF is non basketball related and i don't give a [expletive] what he does if it doesnt affect his game..

We have zero perimeter defense and none of versatile player that does everything well on court .. 

And he's only 23 lots of room to improve ..

#24 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:38 AM

Princeton was Kobe's idea btw. 

No it wasn't. But Kobe wasn't against it, because it resembled the triangle to some degree.

The coaching decisions is one thing i cant defend from the FO

but really? Delonte West? Birdman? Ronnie Brewer?  We had Antawn Jamison, Jordan Hill, Jodie Meeks. There is really nothing you can complain about here.

Our biggest weaknesses that year was depth and perimeter defense - especially at the PG position w/ Nash and Blake who were injured all the damn time. Delonte would have helped a lot in that regard, Ditto for Brewer (who went to OKC instead). Dwight and Gasol were injured a lot and as a consequence they had to play more mins/games than they should - resulting in more injuries. We had to go with Earl Clark at the 5 at times, for christ sakes. Birdman went to the Heat where he revived his career. K-Mart went to NY, where he was a very solid bench contributer. Those four guys would have helped a lot.

S/T - you cant do one if the player doesnt want it. Dwight wanted to go to Houston with the core they had there. It would be pointless for him to do a S/T

I think the writing on the wall was obvious. Dwight was leaving. At that point, i think the Lakers should have moved him or at the very least try to cater to him, by hiring Phil.

Kobe's contract was ridiculous, but you act like we were in a "mess: We had 23 mil in cap space and maybe more if we got rid of nash. There wasnt anyone on the market we couldnt sign. Cap space was not really an issue unless you wanted a Melo+Lebron team

Kobe's deal was horrendous. He never showed any signs towards leaving LA and at the very least they should have waited until this summer - like the Mavs did with Dirk and SA did with Timmy. Havin 23M in cap space is enough for ONE max. For the Lakers to really make a push, we needed to be able to add two.

Had Jim, Mitch and especially Jeanie waited, we could have had 50M in cap space this summer. And Randle. You dont think that would have made a difference?

#25 GO24Seven

GO24Seven

Rookie

• 475 posts
  • Name:Gilbert
  • Fan Since:Born A LAKER
  • Fav. Laker:ANY 1 IN the Purple & Gold

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:42 AM

Perception is reality........ its not what we think about the Lakers/front office. Its how big time free agents view us now. All these people blaming Jim Buss, like screaming A. Smith. If people hear about it enough they'll believe it wether its true or not. Top Stars will have their doubts, about if our franchise is stable enough? They made 1 big mistake, well 2 really. 1 hiring D'Antoni over Phil.......2 not hiring Phil to the front office. Now Phil Jackson is in New York and again perception is reality. Everybody thinks Phil can turn it around over there even though they have the same bad owner James Dolan still there. People will go to New York because of Phil not James Dolan. Phil now is the face of the Knicks and he represents Winning just like Pat Riley in Miami.

Edited by GO24Seven, July 14, 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#26 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,127 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:45 AM

No it wasn't

yes it was. 

#27 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,575 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:49 AM

Basketball reasons...

MDA over PHIL...

The Dwightmare...

and so many other blunders

#28 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:52 AM

yes it was. 

Dont agree, but it was a bad idea regardless of who made it.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,127 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:55 AM

Not really about agreeing.  Kobe was the guy who went to Mike Brown with the idea about the Princeton over the summer.   Otherwise Mike Brown probably runs the same 4 out 1 in offense San Antonio ran that he tried to run the year before. 

#30 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:16 AM

Terrible decisions by the FO since the CP3 debacle (other than the trade for D12, but even that they [expletive]ed up). I'm losing a lot of faith in the organization right now and am lost for words as a fan, personally. 

#31 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:03 AM

Not really about agreeing.  Kobe was the guy who went to Mike Brown with the idea about the Princeton over the summer.   Otherwise Mike Brown probably runs the same 4 out 1 in offense San Antonio ran that he tried to run the year before. 

I'll withdraw my last statement, your honor. Kobe was indeed pushing for the Princeton.

It is my understanding that the Princeton offense is suitable for teams of high-IQ players with low athleticism (generally speaking). Kobe-Pau-Nash was exactly that, but once we landed D12, things should have changed back to the 4 out 1 in offense w/ Mike Brown (with Pau being moved for a stretch-4) OR we should have gone with Phil and the triangle.

Regardless, it seems as if the Lakers never at any point felt a sense of ugency with ...anything. They've just been waiting and waiting for things to happen by themselves and hoping that "being the Lakers" somehow is enough. It isn't.

Just look at last season of trying/tanking. I hate teams that tank, but the one thing i hate more is what i saw from the Lakers last season. Not really good, not really tanking, going nowhere, ending with semi-good pick. I mean, if you're gonna suck all season, you might as well do it right and get that top 3 draft pick.

#32 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,469 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2014 - 02:54 AM

Front office has been trash since the Chris Paul veto.

Hired Mike Brown.
Shunned the greatest coach of all-time.
Hired Mike D'Antoni.
Failed to retain Dwight. Failed to get any assets.
Steve Nash trade (was arguably bad on the day it was made)
Getting nothing for Pau. Nothing.

What is there to appreciate? Their effort? The fact that the only reason we avoided mediocrity for the last decade was because we made a miracle deal for an all-star big man and now expect it to happen every couple of years? I'll pass.
iyjywo.jpg

#33 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:06 AM

The only mistake they did was holding on to Pau for too long. The other moves were appreciated by fans at the time. So hindsight is 20/20.

I've said this on these forums too many times. We should have dealt Pau directly after the nixed CP3 trade. Houston was offering us Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic. That package was too valuable at the time, and even more valuable if you consider you probably can't get Dragic by trading Pau now. That move would have given us a 6th man to replace Odom's production, a more than capable PG and basically Pau's shorter twin in Scola. Most importantly Pau's big contract would be split in 3 small contracts (Martin's was a little big at the time but still)

Even Mike Brown would be fine with this roster and we would probably challenge OKC or whatever that year.

#34 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,378 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:18 AM

I complained about the Nash thing from day one. I vented and was killed on this site. I moved on and supported Nash and look what happened. I distinctly said why would we acquire a guy who couldn't play defense in his youth for 3 years at 38 years of age? I wish he would retire and help Byron. Oh yeah and the Pau stretch 4 thing. Wow! Can't believe we didn't get anything over the last 2 years for him. Vertigo??? Really? How could you not know Pau was not going to re-sign?? To be honest I'm not too sure about the CP3 trade. Just not a big fan of tiny guards on the defensive end. Typically the 6 feet and under point guard thing doesn't win chips. Typically

Edited by lakersince75, July 14, 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#35 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 386 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:50 AM

We didn't have a selling point for free agents this year....what will it be next year? Come lose for a few years but get paid and help re-build the Lakers? Even though we will have money available (like we did this year) what would have changed with the teams roster that will attract blue chip free-agents?

#36 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,328 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:02 AM

What is there to appreciate from the FO going forward? Lakers selling plan to star FA's going forward is " Come build your completely new team with us going forward." Gotta love how you think you can bring on big time free agents with a barren roster. It's not happening.

Love-Nope

Durant-Nope

Westbrook-Nope

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#37 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:10 AM

We didn't have a selling point for free agents this year....what will it be next year? Come lose for a few years but get paid and help re-build the Lakers? Even though we will have money available (like we did this year) what would have changed with the teams roster that will attract blue chip free-agents?

That's the problem.

To get a top-tier FA like Melo you need to have a few pieces in place in order to get him to sign. We didn't have that, so he we didn't get him. Plain and simple. My biggest issue is that they front office didn't realize that and instead of going all-in on Melo, then instead went after the supporting cast and then aimed for a top tier FA in 2015 or 2016. I think that may be the current plan, but by waiting for the wrong guy in Melo, the chance of landing anyone significant is very small at this point. Still hoping for Lance Stephenson, though.

#38 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,096 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted July 14, 2014 - 04:33 AM

I'll appreciate them when they do something. Right now, they're trash.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#39 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,328 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:31 AM

That's the problem.

To get a top-tier FA like Melo you need to have a few pieces in place in order to get him to sign. We didn't have that, so he we didn't get him. Plain and simple. My biggest issue is that they front office didn't realize that and instead of going all-in on Melo, then instead went after the supporting cast and then aimed for a top tier FA in 2015 or 2016. I think that may be the current plan, but by waiting for the wrong guy in Melo, the chance of landing anyone significant is very small at this point. Still hoping for Lance Stephenson, though.

I don't know what was wrong in waiting for Melo to make his decision...Lakers are only looking for placeholders right now, and they weren't going to throw around money to Parsons, Monroe, etc. This is obvious.

Edited by Chad, July 14, 2014 - 05:32 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#40 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted July 14, 2014 - 05:37 AM

I have been castigated on this board for a year now, as I ranted about the FO's mistakes and how there would be a day of reckoning.  Here we are.

The single biggest mistake was the Nash trade.  Four draft picks for a shell of a player.  Nash in his prime is maybe worth that, but did anyone step back and really analyze what they were doing?  Or was the lure of building the superteam all they considered?  It was wrong in the moment and even if Nash had anything left in the tank, extremely short sighted.

Face it, the FO has gotten the shorter end of several trades in recent by better GMs.  The Nash deal is just the most glaring example.  Not every trade has been bad, but overall, we have gotten been the loser in most trades.

Randle and Clarkson do look good in the SL, hopefully there will be something there to talk about in a few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users