94 replies to this topic

#1 arcticcave

arcticcave

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobw

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:45 PM

Am I the only one that is happy with the effort that the FO gave us this free agency period? We were not suppose to be in the running for Melo (or Lebron kind of) but somehow we were in contention at the end. I hear alot of members complaining about not signing building blocks for the future like Isaiah, and Lance

Isaiah Thomas is 5'9 and lacks vision ( yes i watch sac games hes a pure scorer that doesnt play D)- not sure why members here want him so bad. Theres a reason SAC let him go.

Lance Stephenson has a much more complete game but is he worth 12-14 mill per year? This is the same guy that assaulted his GF. Especially for the amount of years he wants?

Not sure why people here think these guys are going to be "building blocks" to lure free agents to come to LA. 

Jeremy Lin deal =  we got him for free... plus a draft pick  lol

Swaggy P = 5 mil a year for a solid bench player is not a lot considering the cap is like 60 million.

Jordan Hill- Yes hes overpaid but its only for a year. How many centers are free agents this year that would be willing to sign for a 1 year deal. Monroe is the only other center worthy but he wants a max.. Lets put it this way if we didnt sign Jordan Hill, we would have to start Sacre or a vet min like okafor. I would much rather have Hill.

The FO also drafted Randle, and Clarkson - both are looking very solid in summer league

I know you guys all dont feel the same way but im happy with the moves so far from FO. They tried everything they could to get Melo but not everything works out way sometimes. Also proud of them for not being irrational and signing young players to long term contracts just to please impatient fans. 

#2 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Da hell?

Foh

/lock
/ban

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,556 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:56 PM

I am completely disgusted with the moves they made (or didn't make) this summer. Melo was a bad idea from the start and putting all your eggs in one basket, regarding Melo, was foolish. Especially considering the deals we could have made.

How about taking on Lin and Asik - both FAs next summer - and then rounding out the roster by using stretch on Nash and adding a solid defensive wing, like Lance, Ariza or Deng. Lin-Lance-Kobe-Randle-Asik would have been much better.

How about doing a s/t with Pau instead of letting him walk for nothing.

How about going all-in on a couple of young players like Eric Bledsoe, Lance Stephenson, Isaiah Thomas, Greg Monroe etc.

It's pathetic and what'll happen now is that we'll repeat next season - just without the draft pick. Fantastic.

IMO Mitch and Jim have made questionable moves from the second we hired Mike Brown. Not necessarily bad moves, but risky moves that all have back-fired. Now their going back to the old: We're the Lakers we'll be able to get a top tier FA - WHICH [expletive]ING DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE, DAMMIT!!!!

A small rant here on a monday morning - sorry.

#4 Amatayo

Amatayo

Rookie

• 88 posts
  • Name:Amatayo
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Goudelock

Posted July 13, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Isaiah Thomas a great pg that we could of had for 6-7mil smh young talent we missed.

Lance a 23 yr old player that is still getting better, are you really talking about him hitting is gf when Jordan hill had the same thing to his girl in Houston?

The FO blew this free agency there's no appreciation when they had no vision. Of course you want a superstar but if are FO can't think of upgrading the roster with young talent that usually isn't the first answer when you think whose in the NBA then you shouldn't have a job because your awful at it. Their suppose to be better then us at seeing talent and FA's so how did they get it so wrong? How are we no better then last year? How do we lack a starting C and SF?

I'll tell you what I appreciate, I appreciate that I haven't slapped everyone in the FO, I appreciate sunshine, I appreciate being able to appreciate but the one thing I don't appreciate is the team they put in front of us paying fans and say we did are best.

In my best Donald trump impersonation. "You're Fired"

Edited by Amatayo, July 13, 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#5 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:00 PM

What's done is done. And we fans must continue on supporting the team regardless of what happens.

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Majesty, dude, you don't have to create a separate account to make a thread like this  :laughing:

But yeah, I'm not displeased with the FO now. Me, like most others, are upset at what the FO did leading up to all of this. They dug themselves a hole and now it's too deep to climb out of.

Starting with the Chris Paul veto, everything pretty much went downhill. Pau declined, immensely, and was hardly a shell of his former self. Mike Brown was coach. Mike Brown was fired for Mike freakin' D'Antoni.

When push came to shove, the FO held onto its pride and stuck with its guns rather than change for Dwight Howard. I believe we could've worked something out with a role for Phil next to Mitch, but egos collided and we kept MDA and Dwight left, which was expected.

Kobe had to play 38 mpg under MDA and was injured. Following his devastating injury, the FO gave Kobe that contract. Whether he deserves it or not, the FO made a decision they can't take back.

Now, Melo, LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Lowry, Deng, Ariza and almost every free agent we had our sights on have gone elsewhere. The FO made a push, but there was little we could sell them on. We still don't have a coach, so let's hope they don't [expletive] up on that.

But, I do wanna say that the FO has only done what they've able to do at this point. Without Melo, we don't have a superstar tandem to build off. We don't have a selling point for free agents like Stephenson or Parsons or whoever you guys want. This offseason went as best as it could in my opinion. We didn't add any long term contract other than Randle and Young, which I'm totally cool with. 

More cash comes off the books next season with Lin and Hill. We're set to try this all over again next offseason with Love, Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, etc. 

The moves we made in years past has scarred us deeply. We can moan and complain all we want but that's not gonna make the future any better. We all know we aren't gonna contend anytime soon, and that's hard for Laker fans who want nothing less than Kobe winning his 6th. Will he do it? Most likely not. Will they try? Probably, but we'd need some trade deadline magic by Mitch, and that's very possible with all these expiring and short term contracts we're piling up.

#7 Amatayo

Amatayo

Rookie

• 88 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:06 PM

What's done is done. And we fans must continue on supporting the team regardless of what happens.

You don't stop loving the team but you can't just act as if nothing is wrong. Your love of the team should make you angry at what has happened. If you can't see the faults then you just love the idea. Real love sees it all, the good and the bad.

#8 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,748 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:07 PM

Lakers 2014-2015 = Best roster ever

#9 arcticcave

arcticcave

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:11 PM

I am completely disgusted with the moves they made (or didn't make) this summer. Melo was a bad idea from the start and putting all your eggs in one basket, regarding Melo, was foolish. Especially considering the deals we could have made.

How about taking on Lin and Asik - both FAs next summer - and then rounding out the roster by using stretch on Nash and adding a solid defensive wing, like Lance, Ariza or Deng. Lin-Lance-Kobe-Randle-Asik would have been much better.

How about doing a s/t with Pau instead of letting him walk for nothing.

How about going all-in on a couple of young players like Eric Bledsoe, Lance Stephenson, Isaiah Thomas, Greg Monroe etc.

It's pathetic and what'll happen now is that we'll repeat next season - just without the draft pick. Fantastic.

IMO Mitch and Jim have made questionable moves from the second we hired Mike Brown. Not necessarily bad moves, but risky moves that all have back-fired. Now their going back to the old: We're the Lakers we'll be able to get a top tier FA - WHICH [expletive]ING DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE, DAMMIT!!!!

A small rant here on a monday morning - sorry.

I understand your point, but honestly this is how i feel.

The only person worth going "all in" was Bledsoe, but theres probably reasons he hasnt been offered it yet. Everyone knows Phoenix is just going to match.

Isaiah is very overrated. You dont understand how much a liablity a 5'9 player is on defense until you watch his games. Sac would have matched his very reasonable  8 mil per year contract if they saw something in him. He is not a game changer in anyway. I would much rather have Lin on a expiring contract.

Ariza , Deng - Better then what we have at SF but they would have probably just bought us 5-7 more win. These guys are on the older end and i dont feel like they would really be of any help in trying to entice a free agent. I dont think are chances are better with them then without. Rather keep the money.

As for the S/T with Gasol, it was pretty clear the FO tried? we offered Gasol 10 mill per year and he left to Chicago fot 6 Mill. You really wanted us to take Dunleavey and boozer back? 

#10 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:14 PM

You don't stop loving the team but you can't just act as if nothing is wrong. Your love of the team should make you angry at what has happened. If you can't see the faults then you just love the idea. Real love sees it all, the good and the bad.

What happened? Cause last I checked the season hasn't started and we don't know what this particular group of guys can do yet. Until the season starts we shall be judging...

If y'all are pissed about Melo, you already messed up by getting to attached.

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,556 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:16 PM

Nonsense.

One of the reasons why i'm a Lakerfan is because i always knew that the front office was going to make the right decision. I dont belive that anymore. The trio of Mitch, Jim and Jeanie is completely dysfunctional.

I understand your point, but honestly this is how i feel.

The only person worth going "all in" was Bledsoe, but theres probably reasons he hasnt been offered it yet. Everyone knows Phoenix is just going to match.

Isaiah is very overrated. You dont understand how much a liablity a 5'9 player is on defense until you watch his games. Sac would have matched his very reasonable  8 mil per year contract if they saw something in him. He is not a game changer in anyway. I would much rather have Lin on a expiring contract.

Ariza , Deng - Better then what we have at SF but they would have probably just bought us 5-7 more win. These guys are on the older end and i dont feel like they would really be of any help in trying to entice a free agent. I dont think are chances are better with them then without. Rather keep the money.

As for the S/T with Gasol, it was pretty clear the FO tried? we offered Gasol 10 mill per year and he left to Chicago fot 6 Mill. You really wanted us to take Dunleavey and boozer back? 

But they didn't go all-in on Bledsoe.They really didn't do anything. They waited on the wrong guy (Melo) to make the decision people knew he was going to make (stay in NY).

#12 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:16 PM

I think the hiring of MDA changed everything.

The North Remembers

#13 arcticcave

arcticcave

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:18 PM

Majesty, dude, you don't have to create a separate account to make a thread like this  :laughing:

But yeah, I'm not displeased with the FO now. Me, like most others, are upset at what the FO did leading up to all of this. They dug themselves a hole and now it's too deep to climb out of.

Starting with the Chris Paul veto, everything pretty much went downhill. Pau declined, immensely, and was hardly a shell of his former self. Mike Brown was coach. Mike Brown was fired for Mike freakin' D'Antoni.

When push came to shove, the FO held onto its pride and stuck with its guns rather than change for Dwight Howard. I believe we could've worked something out with a role for Phil next to Mitch, but egos collided and we kept MDA and Dwight left, which was expected.

Kobe had to play 38 mpg under MDA and was injured. Following his devastating injury, the FO gave Kobe that contract. Whether he deserves it or not, the FO made a decision they can't take back.

Now, Melo, LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Lowry, Deng, Ariza and almost every free agent we had our sights on have gone elsewhere. The FO made a push, but there was little we could sell them on. We still don't have a coach, so let's hope they don't [expletive] up on that.

But, I do wanna say that the FO has only done what they've able to do at this point. Without Melo, we don't have a superstar tandem to build off. We don't have a selling point for free agents like Stephenson or Parsons or whoever you guys want. This offseason went as best as it could in my opinion. We didn't add any long term contract other than Randle and Young, which I'm totally cool with. 

More cash comes off the books next season with Lin and Hill. We're set to try this all over again next offseason with Love, Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, etc. 

The moves we made in years past has scarred us deeply. We can moan and complain all we want but that's not gonna make the future any better. We all know we aren't gonna contend anytime soon, and that's hard for Laker fans who want nothing less than Kobe winning his 6th. Will he do it? Most likely not. Will they try? Probably, but we'd need some trade deadline magic by Mitch, and that's very possible with all these expiring and short term contracts we're piling up.

Yea i mean I just see a lot of laker fans moaning and whining about everyone the FO missed out on. Its like they think the FO didnt try. The fact is we just have nothing to lure anybody to come. Realistically the FO did what they could this offseason. 

#14 Amatayo

Amatayo

Rookie

• 88 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:19 PM

What happened? Cause last I checked the season hasn't started and we don't know what this particular group of guys can do yet. Until the season starts we shall be judging...

If y'all are pissed about Melo, you already messed up by getting to attached.

Come on guy we know exactly where this season is going.

#15 arcticcave

arcticcave

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:22 PM

Nonsense.

One of the reasons why i'm a Lakerfan is because i always knew that the front office was going to make the right decision. I dont belive that anymore. The trio of Mitch, Jim and Jeanie is completely dysfunctional.

But they didn't go all-in on Bledsoe.They really didn't do anything. They waited on the wrong guy (Melo) to make the decision people knew he was going to make (stay in NY).

I agree with you Mitch should have at least made the max offer to bledsoe, Im not sure, but i think most teams only make the offer sheet if they think the team wont match.

#16 Amatayo

Amatayo

Rookie

• 88 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:23 PM

Yea i mean I just see a lot of laker fans moaning and whining about everyone the FO missed out on. Its like they think the FO didnt try. The fact is we just have nothing to lure anybody to come. Realistically the FO did what they could this offseason.

The reason we can't lure anyone over is because we refuse to get anyone during free agency. Talent draws talent we have no talent that's drawing others. Maybe randle in 4 yrs but if we picked up a few young players we could build a core and then start drawing others. But if we never get any talent will be passed every year. Seems like since Chris Paul we've been in a tail spin and we can't pull out.

#17 arcticcave

arcticcave

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:37 PM

The reason we can't lure anyone over is because we refuse to get anyone during free agency. Talent draws talent we have no talent that's drawing others. Maybe randle in 4 yrs but if we picked up a few young players we could build a core and then start drawing others. But if we never get any talent will be passed every year. Seems like since Chris Paul we've been in a tail spin and we can't pull out.

After the Cp3 veto, Mitch went all in assembling  Nash, Kobe, Metta, Pau, Howard. I dont remember a single laker fan complaining. Everyone thought we would be championship contenders. No one saw the injuries coming but it is what is is. I think any GM would have made the same decisions that year. You want to win sometimes you got to go all in. The year after we lost Dwight but not for the lack of effort. We managed to sign some players to 1 year deals that all had career years. We managed to maintain enough cap space for 1 max slot even with Kobe's loyalty contract. We got owned by "basketball decisions" but i think FO has done what they could to give us some flexiblity to work with every offseason, even if we dont get the targets. Talent draws talent you are right, but that only applies if you have stars. IT, LANCE, BLEDSOE are not stars, unless you can prove to me otherwise. They are more like role players you add to your team after you have someone to build around.

#18 arcticcave

arcticcave

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:39 PM

I dont see KLOVE or any other top tier free agent wanting to sign with us just because we have a lance stephenson or a Isaiah Thomas. If they were to sign with us it would be because for other reasons.

#19 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:43 PM

I agree with you Mitch should have at least made the max offer to bledsoe, Im not sure, but i think most teams only make the offer sheet if they think the team wont match.

please-stop-o.gif

#20 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,556 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 11:48 PM

After the Cp3 veto, Mitch went all in assembling  Nash, Kobe, Metta, Pau, Howard. I dont remember a single laker fan complaining. Everyone thought we would be championship contenders.

Of course not, that was a solid team. But allowing Brown to go with the Princeton was a bad idea and hiring MDA over Phil, when Phil would have been key in keeping Dwight was a mistake.

No one saw the injuries coming but it is what is is.

But when the injuries did come, they chose not to add depth. We struggled defensively and guys like Delonte West, Ronnie Brewer, Chris Andersen and Kenyon Martin - just to name a few - would have been able to help keep us afloat when Pau/Dwight sat out.

I think any GM would have made the same decisions that year. You want to win sometimes you got to go all in. The year after we lost Dwight but not for the lack of effort.

Dwight leaving was pretty obvious and the fact that we didn't get anything in return was a travesty.

We managed to sign some players to 1 year deals that all had career years.

All the guys we signed were guys that needed a revival. They took less to showcase their talents on a big stage in LA.

We managed to maintain enough cap space for 1 max slot even with Kobe's loyalty contract.

Dont even get me started on Kobe's contract, which is one of the main reasons why we are in this mess this summer.

We got owned by "basketball decisions" but i think FO has done what they could to give us some flexiblity to work with every offseason, even if we dont get the targets. Talent draws talent you are right, but that only applies if you have stars. IT, LANCE, BLEDSOE are not stars, unless you can prove to me otherwise. They are more like role players you add to your team after you have someone to build around.

That's the whole problem. Basically to get a real star, you need complementary players first. We have none.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users