2016 replies to this topic

#2001 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,752 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 09:02 AM

I think it needs to be said that Lin and Sessions are extremely similar players.  Their MO is usually to get to the rim. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2002 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 220 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 AM

I think it needs to be said that Lin and Sessions are extremely similar players.  Their MO is usually to get to the rim. 

I was going to rebut you, but checking the stats, you are correct sir

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#2003 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,049 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Until Lin has a season as good as Dragic just had last year and the consistency he had in Houston when Lowry was out for like 50 games then Dragic is the superior player. Funny how a certain someone tried to explain that Dragic was responsible for Bledsoe's success and tried to downplay how good Bled was. Now we are questioning whether Lin is better than Dragic? A player on the perimeter that just shot 50 percent from the field for a full season?

Dragic is better than Bledsoe.

And Dragic was able to have the season he had because of his own improvements as a player but also because he got to have the role of number one option and team leader.

If Lin was to have a season like what Dragic had he'd have to be given the same kind of role as number one option and that would only happen if Kobe was hurt and no one wants that.

What you can do is compare how lin looked in the absense of Harden and the absense of Carmelo where he had to play the role of the number one guy and compare that to Dragic.

If you do that it's actually an argument worth making. Both Dragic and Lin have shown themselves more impressive handling that kind of responsibility and role than has Bledsoe. Which is likely why Phoenix will be doing all in their power to extend Dragic and would let Bledsoe walk.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2004 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,931 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted Yesterday, 10:10 AM

We play in 53 days.  Pretty cool. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2005 KHuang

KHuang

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Jeremy Lin

Posted Yesterday, 10:18 AM

One player who will improve with Lin is Nick Young.

Nick Young plays like Nick Young.

He's a fearless gunner who can create off the dribble despite not being an elite athlete.

In recent years with the Lakers, Young has had to create his own offense. The utter offensive incompetence of the old Steve Blake and the unathletic Kendall Marshall meant that all those two useless pgs could do was hand the ball off to Young at the 3 pt line and stand around helplessly. Young would then have to fire up bad shots because he received no playmaking help from Blake and Marshall.

But now that Young has the NBA's most defended guard in Jeremy Lin, Young won't have to force up bad shots anymore. He simply needs to aggressively play off Lin in an intelligent manner.

I am really looking forward to Nick Young and Jeremy Lin together.

#2006 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,049 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Young forced up bad shots when he isolated by himself at the end of shot clocks.  Both Marshall and Blake made life easier for Young and he shot the highest percentage on spot up shots from assists of both Blake and Marshall than he has in his entire career.    Both Blake and Marshall helped Young get easy shots that made sense.  the only 'bad' shots he took was when he tried to force the issue.  He did that less than he ever has last year but that was where the bad shots came from, Blake and Marshall made Young's life more efficient and easier, not the other way around. 

#2007 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,752 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Im not sure how you can make this statement in a vacuum.  Im not even necessarily disagreeing with it but it's definitely not a clear cut on who the better ball player is.  Bledsoe is a monster on defense and putting the pressure on the defense.  I'd say if you are running a 2 PG system the way they did they compliment each other. 

Letting Bledsoe walk and extending Dragic has very little to do with whose better right now.  Bledsoe got caught in a bad market to try to get a max deal and his agent doesn't seem to be very good either.  If LA had given Bledsoe an offer sheet PHX would have already matched it.  Teams that had the money to offer him the deal he wanted were caught up in other players and had the idea that PHX was going to match anything.  PHX played this well all year.  Even after coming back from injury they were sending out reports about how important he was and how they will match any offer that comes his why.  They planted the seed and his agent didn't see it coming. 

Numbers don't always indicate a full impact either, Rudy Gay would put up great numbers on Philly and so would Michael Beasley.  Of course when a high usage player like Kobe is out others have more opportunity.  Dragic 20/6 isn't the main reason why I claim hes better but b/c he did something similar in Houston and he shot 50 percent from the field.  Lin isn't all that good of a shooter but he gets to the rim a ton.  Im not sure I'd say Dragic is the "team leader" though.  Their improvements as a team appears to be heavily influenced by Hornecek being the coach and getting rid of trash like Michael Beasley vs Dragic just taking over.  Seeing that his previous season to last year was night and day. 

And Dragic was able to have the season he had because of his own improvements as a player but also because he got to have the role of number one option and team leader.

If Lin was to have a season like what Dragic had he'd have to be given the same kind of role as number one option and that would only happen if Kobe was hurt and no one wants that.

What you can do is compare how lin looked in the absense of Harden and the absense of Carmelo where he had to play the role of the number one guy and compare that to Dragic.

If you do that it's actually an argument worth making. Both Dragic and Lin have shown themselves more impressive handling that kind of responsibility and role than has Bledsoe. Which is likely why Phoenix will be doing all in their power to extend Dragic and would let Bledsoe walk.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2008 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,782 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted Yesterday, 01:43 PM

One player who will improve with Lin is Nick Young.

Nick Young plays like Nick Young.

He's a fearless gunner who can create off the dribble despite not being an elite athlete.

In recent years with the Lakers, Young has had to create his own offense. The utter offensive incompetence of the old Steve Blake and the unathletic Kendall Marshall meant that all those two useless pgs could do was hand the ball off to Young at the 3 pt line and stand around helplessly. Young would then have to fire up bad shots because he received no playmaking help from Blake and Marshall.

But now that Young has the NBA's most defended guard in Jeremy Lin, Young won't have to force up bad shots anymore. He simply needs to aggressively play off Lin in an intelligent manner.

I am really looking forward to Nick Young and Jeremy Lin together.

Say what you will about Marshall, one thing the kid could do and do well was pass.  He got the ball to guys in good positions to score, inside and outside.  Young's FG% should have improved with Marshall in the game, not the other way around.    Because of his lousy defense and often shaky shot, I am ok with Marshall being gone, but the guy was an assist machine.

Young on the other hand, is an undisciplined gunner.  For every spectacular play he makes, there are 3 bone head ones.  Low basketball IQ.  Maybe Lin and Kobe can help him in that regard.

#2009 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,782 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Im not sure how you can make this statement in a vacuum.  Im not even necessarily disagreeing with it but it's definitely not a clear cut on who the better ball player is.  Bledsoe is a monster on defense and putting the pressure on the defense.  I'd say if you are running a 2 PG system the way they did they compliment each other. 

Letting Bledsoe walk and extending Dragic has very little to do with whose better right now.  Bledsoe got caught in a bad market to try to get a max deal and his agent doesn't seem to be very good either.  If LA had given Bledsoe an offer sheet PHX would have already matched it.  Teams that had the money to offer him the deal he wanted were caught up in other players and had the idea that PHX was going to match anything.  PHX played this well all year.  Even after coming back from injury they were sending out reports about how important he was and how they will match any offer that comes his why.  They planted the seed and his agent didn't see it coming. 

Numbers don't always indicate a full impact either, Rudy Gay would put up great numbers on Philly and so would Michael Beasley.  Of course when a high usage player like Kobe is out others have more opportunity.  Dragic 20/6 isn't the main reason why I claim hes better but b/c he did something similar in Houston and he shot 50 percent from the field.  Lin isn't all that good of a shooter but he gets to the rim a ton.  Im not sure I'd say Dragic is the "team leader" though.  Their improvements as a team appears to be heavily influenced by Hornecek being the coach and getting rid of trash like Michael Beasley vs Dragic just taking over.  Seeing that his previous season to last year was night and day. 

Bledsoe's agent totally misplayed the market from what i can tell.  And now they have done their part to sour the relationship with the Phoenix FO.  Not saying that the FO has played it well either, but someone has to pick up the phone during the summer, dont they?

#2010 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 375 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 PM

You can't use that logic, there have been many role players who have had stretches looking like all star caliber players but the difference between them and actual all stars is the ability to maintain it. Lin doing good for 10-15 game stretches does not prove in any way shape or form he can do what Dragic can do throughout an ENTIRE season as a number 1 option.

I mean Lin was still surrounded by Dwight, Amare and Parsons for some of those games when Carmelo or Harden was out. Those guys attract way more attention than Lin, who does anything near that for Dragic other than Bledsoe who missed near half the games last year? Not to mention the fact he led his team to within a few games of the western conference playoffs.

This ridiculous hyping of Laker players have got to stop my man, it's killing me lol

Edited by stillshining, Yesterday, 09:49 PM.

#2011 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,049 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 PM

Did you just try to use Amar'e as a vehicle to making Lin's life easier in New York..... 

I think we're done here.   

You're ridiculously underrating him.   Lin did well when neither Dwight or Harden was playing and Asik was starting, and he did well with just Dwight as well. 

How did the Lakers do with "just Dwight"?  

Parsons was the 3rd most important guy, you may as well say that Metta made Sessions life easier.  

You can give Lin credit without it being overration.You don't need to try to pull an Amar'e whose knees were shot to try to say he somehow carried Lin -_-   

Lin had a week out of China JR Smith, knees gone Amar'e Stoudamire, and Landry Fields whom hasn't done anything of significance since so who was the defense focusing on when he went 27/7 during that stretch?    Remember the Dallas game?  The game where Dirk had to switch off on Lin and then yelled at Marion when he got scored on and Lin was shaking his head 'no' because he didn't want to guard him and then on the very next possession Marion HAD to guard him and got scored on just like Dirk did?   

When Lin carried the Rockets through game 5 in the playoffs when him and Asik shared the minutes together who was the defense focusing on?  Pretty much when Lin starts scoring the defense is focused on him because by now they know what he is capable of when you let him get going.  

For all intents and purposes Lin's stretches of 27/7 and 17/7 were done with him being the focal point of the offense, which is why his numbers were 27/7 and 17/7.   

Remember Sessions who got praised as the savior during his time with the Lakers?  Sessions averaged 12/6.  Lin averaged 13/4 coming off the bench.  

He doesn't have to be a 20/7 point guard nor do the Lakers need him in that role.  Kobe would have to be injured for Lin to be counted on so much for the offense, no one wants that. 

Lin at most would average between 14 and 17 points and 7 assists.   midground is 15/7 and that's fine for the role the Lakers will need him in starting. 

No one is 'overhyping' Lin and saying he's gonna average 20/10 now that he's not under McHale's thumb, but we also aren't trying to discredit his performances so much that we're pulling the "defenses were really focused on Amar'e Stoudamire" card.   It didn't work out for Carmelo so well did it.  

We've got a point guard that's likely going to give us 15/7 as a starter and that's fine.  Will  he be a 20/8 resurgance of Magic Johnson?  No...  

and if Dragic was a Laker he wouldn't have averaged 20/6 either.  17/5 perhaps though, depending on his importance.

But what some people need to understand is that every point guard in the NBA that scores over 16 points a game does so because they are the number one option on their team, the only exception being Mike Conley. 

Edited by Majesty, Yesterday, 10:27 PM.

#2012 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 375 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

In every scouting report I can guarantee that J.R, Amare and Parsons all command more attention than a guy who literally came from the D-league. I'm not saying he didn't take advantage but a defense is jot going to focus on something it hasn't seen before in his Linsanity run. He played the best but he did not command more attention than established players.

Anyways I'm not underrating the guy, I'm just saying he is not comparable to Dragic. Those small stretches do not compare to shouldering the load of inferior talent night in and night out to the tune of being in the west playoff race till the very last game. You know you're reaching and that's all I'm pointing out. Comparing him to Ramon Sessions is a lot more logical

#2013 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,049 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

Lin already pretty much proved he wasn't for the "D-league" by his 3rd game of Linsanity.  He was the most dangerous person on the team at that moment.   After Lin dropped 27/5/7, 28/8. 23/4/10, and then 38/4/7 on the Lakers the scouting report probably didn't still say "keep focusing on JR Smith and Amar'e Stoudamire". 

#2014 Xtreme

Xtreme

Rookie

• 11 posts
  • Fan Since:Yesterday
  • Fav. Laker:Lin

Posted Today, 12:47 AM

Dragic.... good individual stats, can't win. Lin can 

#2015 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,461 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted Today, 12:52 AM

Dragic.... good individual stats, can't win. Lin can

What?
iyjywo.jpg

#2016 KHuang

KHuang

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Jeremy Lin

Posted Today, 10:04 AM

Lin could easily have averaged 20 points and at least 8 assists as a Rocket in BOTH seasons in Houston.

Had Lin been properly utilized, the Rockets would have won the NBA championship over the overmatched Spurs and the hobbled Heat.

You guys can doubt me all I want but are you saying that I'm a fool for accurately predicting in January 2012 (at jeremylin.net) that Lin was going to become a solid NBA player and future NBA All star?

I did that based on what Lin did in the past and what players with less talent did.

Am I a "fool?"

I wouldn't be so quick to write Lin out of the All Star game if I were you.

You write as if Lin's career is over. It's NOT.

I firmly believe that Lin WILL make an All Star game.

When that happens, you will celebrate right along with me.

#2017 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Rookie

• 31 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted Today, 10:18 AM

Lin could easily have averaged 20 points and at least 8 assists as a Rocket in BOTH seasons in Houston.
Had Lin been properly utilized, the Rockets would have won the NBA championship over the overmatched Spurs and the hobbled Heat.

You guys can doubt me all I want but are you saying that I'm a fool for accurately predicting in January 2012 (at jeremylin.net) that Lin was going to become a solid NBA player and future NBA All star?
I did that based on what Lin did in the past and what players with less talent did.
Am I a "fool?"

I wouldn't be so quick to write Lin out of the All Star game if I were you.
You write as if Lin's career is over. It's NOT.
I firmly believe that Lin WILL make an All Star game.
When that happens, you will celebrate right along with me.

Lin is a system player, he might done what Leonard have accomplished in spurs under a good coach. But not while in Houston playing out of position and out of system. Houston under mchale was the antithesis of a system basketball. So no point in hyping Lin beforehand until we see him play under scott, whose offensive board we haven't even hear anything about yet..

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users