Photo

Lakers acquire Jeremy Lin; Woj: Lin may not return next year (Pg. 123)

jeremy lin lin lakers

• Please log in to reply
2549 replies to this topic

#2541 CLIPPERS_RUN_LA

CLIPPERS_RUN_LA

Rookie

• 688 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Jeremy Lin and Boozer

Posted December 06, 2014 - 11:31 PM

Lin is no Kobe, that's for sure.  Bryant is an excellent passer, Cowherd acknowledges as much.   It's pretty clear that Lin can play efficiently and effectively, so I think Lakers will keep him on board next year.   At some point, Lakers will want to get a more consistent, solid PG if they can.  Rondo may very well fill the starting role, quite possible.

Every player has bad nights. Lin's 0-10 night wasn't the specific concern. It's that he's highly inconsistent, has already had three games in which he wasn't able to hit a single field goal, and has had multiple games where he's looked extremely tentative and diffident. If his shot isn't falling, why not focus more on the defensive end? Why not get your teammates better looks?

Lin shouldn't have the exact same assist numbers as Kobe. In fact, Kobe's assist numbers would be higher had Wes and Boozer not fumbled the majority of nifty passes Kobe sent their way. I can't say the same for Lin. He dribbles the ball past half-court, and largely either passes it to Kobe or hands it off to Hill, retrieves it, acts like he's going to shoot, and either turns the ball over or passes it to someone else. I want to see Lin penetrating the defense and either scoring at the rim or dishing it out to a cutter / open man. He needs to regain confidence in his shot. 

Thus far, there is not a single aspect of Lin's game that of which I can point and say, "he's definitely going to bring that today regardless of his other struggles." If Kobe has a bad shooting night (and I've seen some people comparing Kobe's bad shooting nights to Lin's the other night), you can be damn sure he's going to have 15 rebounds, 12 assists, or extra effort on the defensive end (well, at least pre-Achilles injury). He refuses to give up regardless of an abysmal shooting performance. 

Lin lacks the aggressiveness and mental fortitude. I feel it's best he comes off the bench and faces competition similar to his own. Most of his assist numbers have came when he was paired with the bench (specifically Davis/Sacre) anyways.

I don't think Coach Scott decides Bryant's minutes.  That's up to Kobe.  He plays according to how he feels, for example when he stayed in the Wizards game after bumping knees.  I don't think he should have been playing down 20 with 3 minutes left.

The mismanagement Scott made there was leaving Kobe in during that entire run.  

Please "Like" my comments if you agree.

#2542 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,064 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 06, 2014 - 11:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the ideal plan for the Lakers is for Lin to remain after this year and come off the bench with Swaggy and Davis and then they try to land a consistent starting point guard like a Knight, Rondo or Jackson to put in the starting lineup.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2543 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,341 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 11, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Via @RMoralesPT "Kobe Bryant to Jeremy Lin in practice: ‘This (expletive) don’t got (expletive)" http://bit.ly/12TuoRO 

Yeah he ain't coming back. lol. 

#2544 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,064 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Yeah he ain't coming back. lol. 

Actually it's just Kobe being Kobe 

"Bryant wasn’t mad at the reserves Thursday.

“I was just being myself,” Bryant said. “I don’t get a chance to get out there and play (in practice) too much because of my body and stuff. ... I was just challenging them to see what happens. I’ve always believed in throwing them in the pool and seeing if they can sink or swim.”

Bryant was asked if he believes what he did was beneficial.

“I don’t know if it helps them,” he said. “Obviously, it raises the intensity level. It was a tough practice for them.”

Bryant called the “bantering” and “trash-talking” between himself and Young “fun.”

“Nick probably regrets getting me started,” Bryant said, smiling."

The rest is the press just trying for a story. 

"Oh Kobe talked trash in practice!! For shame!" 

come on now. 

If you think Jeremy wouldn't come back because Kobe is trash talking him and everybody else in practice then he'd have to be the smallest mental midget in the history of the game.  I doubt he is, particularly when you play against Kobe. 

Edited by Majesty, December 11, 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#2545 kozmo

kozmo

Rookie

• 621 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:kone

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Kobe can go lay down. It doesn't matter what this guy does this team isn't winning and I doubt highly that Lin stays...why would he?

#2546 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,064 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Kobe can go lay down. It doesn't matter what this guy does this team isn't winning and I doubt highly that Lin stays...why would he?

Cause his role would be the exact same on any other team that he went to.  Off the bench. 

He's got no chance at starting for any team in this league other than the Lakers nor would he be their number 1 option if he ever did.  If he was they'd be losing just as much if not more than the Lakers currently are.   Then you could say "Well Lin's finally averaging 17/7"  but his team would be 2-20.    

Lakers are where he'd get the most attention, probably the most money, and as are constructed the only team he'd start on. 

If he went to Philly as a starter and disappeared no one would notice except his fans. That's the reality.    And given that they want to do something with Wroten he wouldn't even start on Philly.    Hard hitting truth. But truth nonetheless.  Same truth Ramon Sessions learned. 

what's the benefit?  Less money and Kobe not pushing him to be his best every day in practice while having the most national attention and opportunities because of it he's ever going to get outside of going to play for the asian basketball association which is where players go when they're done or when they're guys about to enter the draft?   

right....

Edited by Majesty, December 11, 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#2547 kozmo

kozmo

Rookie

• 621 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:kone

Posted December 11, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Cause his role would be the exact same on any other team that he went to.  Off the bench. 

He's got no chance at starting for any team in this league other than the Lakers nor would he be their number 1 option if he ever did.  If he was they'd be losing just as much if not more than the Lakers currently are.   Then you could say "Well Lin's finally averaging 17/7"  but his team would be 2-20.    

Lakers are where he'd get the most attention, probably the most money, and as are constructed the only team he'd start on. 

If he went to Philly as a starter and disappeared no one would notice except his fans. That's the reality.    And given that they want to do something with Wroten he wouldn't even start on Philly.    Hard hitting truth. But truth nonetheless.  Same truth Ramon Sessions learned. 

what's the benefit?  Less money and Kobe not pushing him to be his best every day in practice while having the most national attention and opportunities because of it he's ever going to get outside of going to play for the asian basketball association which is where players go when they're done or when they're guys about to enter the draft?   

right....

hes not going to stay and play for Scott in this offense....and play with Kobe another year. Perhaps he will never start....perhaps...Lin should play for his next contract...he needs to wordy about stats.....not worry about wins...

Edited by kozmo, December 11, 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#2548 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,064 posts

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:03 PM

hes not going to stay and play for Scott in this offense....

And he's not going to another team that's gonna run the offense through him and put the ball in his hand 95% of the time either. 

So.. either he has to adapt or remain a one trick pony and be out of the league. 

The role people want him in is the role that a Ty Lawson or a Rajon Rondo is given.  He's not that good that he's going to be the number one option on the team.  He's just not.   If he's on a team so devoid of talent that he's their number one option he'll get his stats but they won't win many games at all.  Any team he goes to he'd be the 3rd best option.. maybe.   

There's no coach in the NBA that's gonna get Jeremy Lin and run the offense through him.  He at most will be coming off the bench and then he'll get to handle the ball.  

That's pretty much the role he's currently in with the Lakers. 

Expecting him to get anymore than he does on some other team is empty hoping.   

He's just not good enough to be depended on that role for a consistent basis that's not a 9 game stretch.  

Any coach that runs the offense primarily through Jeremy only does it because no one else is playing or the team has no other talent.   That's why Jeremy started on the Lakers in the first place and why he'd start on any team subsequently after. 

He's a bench sparkplug point guard at best with a pass first mentality.    No team's gonna sign him, hand him the reigns and say "this is your team" it's never happening for any kind of consistent 82 game basis.  

The best he'll get is a 6th man off the bench. Which is the role the Lakers are prepping him for right now.   He has Young, and he has Boozer whom he seems to work well with off the bench. The only missing piece is Ed Davis.  

#2549 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Rookie

• 691 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Then we will fare him well on the other team and we will probably fare you well to follow him.

putting a semi-descent player over the team won't do you or Lin much good.  

hes not going to stay and play for Scott in this offense....and play with Kobe another year. Perhaps he will never start....perhaps...Lin should play for his next contract...he needs to wordy about stats.....not worry about wins...

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#2550 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 11, 2014 - 08:07 PM

I'm sure Jeremy Lin has heard worst, with him being Asian and playing basketball in the Bay area.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jeremy lin, lin, lakers

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users