Photo

Does Kendall Marshall have a future with the Lakers?

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#101 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted July 01, 2014 - 01:23 PM

No rookie or second year player...whatever you want to call him is what they will be. Maybe he wont be an all star, who knows really but you cannot say and mean that a player who has only played this little is what they are. 

Is he athletic? Is He fast? Is he a good defender?  He's one dimensional and he passes because it's his only real NBA caliber ability.

#102 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,492 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Is he athletic? Is He fast? Is he a good defender?  He's one dimensional and he passes because it's his only real NBA caliber ability.

He can pass, make a wide open 3, has a floater and will improve his finishing at the rim. It's stupid to assume because he wasn't the best PG in the league last season that the guy has no future. 

You're pretty much implying that all people who aren't amazing their rookie year end up being what they're going to be. Just not true at all. Do you not comprehend the concept of players developing and getting better over time?

#103 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 01, 2014 - 05:15 PM

He can pass, make a wide open 3, has a floater and will improve his finishing at the rim. It's stupid to assume because he wasn't the best PG in the league last season that the guy has no future. 

You're pretty much implying that all people who aren't amazing their rookie year end up being what they're going to be. Just not true at all. Do you not comprehend the concept of players developing and getting better over time?

you're absolutely right even though it seems futile to even bother with this guy. IDK, negativity is just the way for some. I think most everyone here is aware of KM's athletic and other limitations but damn if someone cant mention what he does well without starting some sort of confusingly manufactured argument where a person takes just about everything out of context and yet basically agrees in the end lol.

Someone wake me when a more athletic version of Kendall falls out of the sky

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#104 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,385 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted July 01, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Chipotle isn't unhealthy depending on what you get

Bowls actually are pretty healthy

It gets unhealthy when u get it every day

I use Chile Chipotle everyday with my dinner to give it some flavor.
You aren't ready for it lol
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#105 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:03 PM

That's nonsense. I'm just stating the obvious. Marshall has poor athleticism and he is not a good shooter. He can't play defense and he's slow.  He has far more negatives than he has positives. I wish him the best but I can't sit here and live in a fantasy world and pretend that any NBA team wants a point guard that sucks defensively, has no mid range game, is slower than molasses and shoots 40% from the field.  That is not an opinion those are facts.

Marshall is not going to develop speed because that is an innate ability just like overall athleticism. It's possible that he can improve his shooting and become a decent foul shooter, but it's not likely based upon what he has shown so far.  He's got an incredibly slow release can not create his own shot or shoot off the dribble. A coach can only do so much with a limited skill set like this kid possesses.

There is no real interest in Marshall by any  team other than the Lakers and the Lakers are only interested because Kendall is all they have cap space for and he is a better ball handler than all of the other scrub point guards from the past season that can remain healthy.

I get it Laker fans are desperate and they will cling to any scrub that offers hope.

#106 SweatShop

SweatShop

Throwin Rootbeers In Your Fridge

• 603 posts
  • Fan Since:Pre_History
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:08 PM

I use Chile Chipotle everyday with my dinner to give it some flavor.
You aren't ready for it lol

they mean the restaurant, its like baja fresh but not as good (if you are familiar with that) and was a mcdonalds subsidiary. 

as far as salsa caliente, i prefer sriracha, even though its more asian

That's nonsense. I'm just stating the obvious. Marshall has poor athleticism and he is not a good shooter. He can't play defense and he's slow.  He has far more negatives than he has positives. I wish him the best but I can't sit here and live in a fantasy world and pretend that any NBA team wants a point guard that sucks defensively, has no mid range game, is slower than molasses and shoots 40% from the field.  That is not an opinion those are facts.

Marshall is not going to develop speed because that is an innate ability just like overall athleticism. It's possible that he can improve his shooting and become a decent foul shooter, but it's not likely based upon what he has shown so far.  He's got an incredibly slow release can not create his own shot or shoot off the dribble. A coach can only do so much with a limited skill set like this kid possesses.

There is no real interest in Marshall by any  team other than the Lakers and the Lakers are only interested because Kendall is all they have cap space for and he is a better ball handler than all of the other scrub point guards from the past season that can remain healthy.

I get it Laker fans are desperate and they will cling to any scrub that offers hope.

JGuez was pretty accurate about KM (ok the floater is debatable) and your implications, dont see how thats nonsense. maybe he will become a better finisher, maybe not, but athleticism is not the end all be all of player development and his career isnt hinged solely on his ability to finish at the rim.

plenty of crafty non-athletes have done just fine if they can make up for it in other ways.

Speed and athleticism can be improved, why the hell do you think athletes work out?  take a look at the nfl if you think 250-300 lb linebackers are naturally that fast. thats not to say some arent given those gifts but many athletes work a lot harder than you seem to think.

Shooting can be improved over time even though his athleticism doesnt help that but he can potentially work around that. I tried to convey this earlier but i doubt it got through, his assist numbers are actually more impressive because of his scoring deficiencies, to do that while often being played for the pass doesnt make it easier. of course stats were not needed to see that he is skilled in that way.

Nobody is living in a fantasy world and pretending that he is a heavily sought after piece but unsurprisingly you have completely taken someone's point and ran with it in another direction.

A player getting better and becoming a star or even semi star are two very different things, you act as though JG was inferring the latter. if you think its impossible for him to improve in any way shape or form, well....thats ridiculous

You can gripe about the guy all you want, but until a better passing, shooting, defending, more athletic option is presented with a big bow, you are wasting time.

KM has earned his place, for the time being at least.

Edited by SweatShop, July 01, 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Abdul-Jabbar told the San Francisco Chronicle last month he met Howard only once and that Howard expressed an interest in learning from the former Lakers captain but he never again reached out to Abdul-Jabbar.

‘He’s charming, he’s charismatic, very nice young man,’ Abdul-Jabbar said. ‘Maturity-wise, he doesn’t get it.’

#107 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,492 posts

Posted July 01, 2014 - 06:52 PM

What is nonsense? You're judging a guy who averaged 9 assists last year in his 2nd NBA year and saying he has no chance to make it as a starter in the league one day because he's not athletic, not good at defense and shot a poor percentage. Do you know how many rookies shot a poor percentage their first year and ended up being good?  

Here are some just to name a few:

- Kobe = 42%

- Durant = 43%

- CP3 = 43%

- Nash = 42%

- Ryan Anderson = 39%

The list goes on......

I'm not arguing that he's athletic. He's obviously not and I agree he's not good at defense. Let's ignore the fact that most point guards are not good at defense. Defense is something he can become better at though but athleticism is something you kind of need to have from the start. You can argue that only 1 of the top 5 point guards in the league right now are athletic when compared to the rest. That 1 would be Westbrook. These athletic point guards are breaking down. Westbrook had a great post season and he's actually one of my favorite players but this athleticism you seek will not last long unless he adds some more skill to his game. I believe he had 3 surgeries on 1 bone in the last year alone. Derrick Rose says hello in this regard as well.

The rest tend to be great passers and can shoot. Well we know Kendal can pass, now he has to work on his shooting which CAN get better.

Yeah I agree he wont get faster but to believe his shot most likely wont improve is pretty short sighted and most likely inaccurate. The dude shot 40% from the 3 so clearly he knows how to make far shots. He can continue to work on mid range which....GASP!..... is actually an easier shot. Just because he cannot do something well now does not mean that he won't ever. 

Who cares if other teams are interested in him or not? No one is saying this guy is a star right now so I'd actually be shocked if other teams were banging on our door for him considering every team has a legit point guard at the moment.

Clinging to a scrub? Pretty sure the guy is making less than a million next year and most of us here are saying why would you not want a guy who is this good at passing at the minimum coming off your bench? No one is saying sign this guy to a multi year deal right now. We're saying you obviously bring him back for next year and see if he develops some more. If he doesn't then oh well, not much wasted.

It's funny but based on what you're saying, if you're not good at something from the start then you most likely will never get better at it. Have you never practiced to get good at something in your life? I used to be overweight when I was a kid but then I decided to exercise and eat better. Should I never have tried to get myself better because I was already fat? My present self disagrees with that notion.

Edited by JGuez, July 01, 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#108 JasonWll

JasonWll

Rookie

• 236 posts
  • Fan Since:Ever
  • Fav. Laker:Earvin Magic Johnson

Posted July 14, 2014 - 09:21 AM

vs Toronto

2/8 (.250 FG%)

vs New Orleans

3/10 (.300 FG%)

Must have worked really hard on his shooting this offseason...   :clap2:

Can't wait for the next vine!   :yawn:

Posted Image

#109 Lebronion Rings

Lebronion Rings

Rookie

• 116 posts
  • Name:Reid Ponce
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic

Posted July 14, 2014 - 09:29 AM

He has a spot behind Lin and Clarkson

#110 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 09:47 AM

What is nonsense? You're judging a guy who averaged 9 assists last year in his 2nd NBA year and saying he has no chance to make it as a starter in the league one day because he's not athletic, not good at defense and shot a poor percentage. Do you know how many rookies shot a poor percentage their first year and ended up being good?  

Here are some just to name a few:

- Kobe = 42%

- Durant = 43%

- CP3 = 43%

- Nash = 42%

- Ryan Anderson = 39%

The list goes on......

I'm not arguing that he's athletic. He's obviously not and I agree he's not good at defense. Let's ignore the fact that most point guards are not good at defense. Defense is something he can become better at though but athleticism is something you kind of need to have from the start. You can argue that only 1 of the top 5 point guards in the league right now are athletic when compared to the rest. That 1 would be Westbrook. These athletic point guards are breaking down. Westbrook had a great post season and he's actually one of my favorite players but this athleticism you seek will not last long unless he adds some more skill to his game. I believe he had 3 surgeries on 1 bone in the last year alone. Derrick Rose says hello in this regard as well.

The rest tend to be great passers and can shoot. Well we know Kendal can pass, now he has to work on his shooting which CAN get better.

Yeah I agree he wont get faster but to believe his shot most likely wont improve is pretty short sighted and most likely inaccurate. The dude shot 40% from the 3 so clearly he knows how to make far shots. He can continue to work on mid range which....GASP!..... is actually an easier shot. Just because he cannot do something well now does not mean that he won't ever. 

Who cares if other teams are interested in him or not? No one is saying this guy is a star right now so I'd actually be shocked if other teams were banging on our door for him considering every team has a legit point guard at the moment.

Clinging to a scrub? Pretty sure the guy is making less than a million next year and most of us here are saying why would you not want a guy who is this good at passing at the minimum coming off your bench? No one is saying sign this guy to a multi year deal right now. We're saying you obviously bring him back for next year and see if he develops some more. If he doesn't then oh well, not much wasted.

It's funny but based on what you're saying, if you're not good at something from the start then you most likely will never get better at it. Have you never practiced to get good at something in your life? I used to be overweight when I was a kid but then I decided to exercise and eat better. Should I never have tried to get myself better because I was already fat? My present self disagrees with that notion.

Marshall at best is an average player no matter how you try and prop him up. His release is ridiculously slow, He's absolutely worthless as a shooter with a defender in his grill. I should hope that guys who are taking uncontested 30 foot shots could make a few. In the end you saw how he closed the season ... His shooting and scoring was a train wreck.

Comparing him to elite athletes like Kobe or Cp3, and Durant is ridiculous. All of those players have great overall games and incredible athletic abilities. Kendall passes and that is all he does. His foul shooting is a joke and he does not get to the line.  He's a stop gap player and I don't dislike the Kid, but I am not blind. 

As FOR HONING A SKILL? Yes practice will help  to develop  natural ability. What it won't do is add physical attributes such as balance, speed, or agility. The kid is a back up player at best. He will never be on the level of Westbrook, Rose, Curry, Cp3, Lillard, Irving, Wall, or any other starting point guard so stop making silly comparisons. Even Nash with all of his ailments and age is far more efficient and effective than Marshall. Until that kid can score 10 points a game he is a back up good at racking up assists.

The Kid played well in a system that relied on spot up shooting where defense was nonexistent. His success was due in large part to Pau's ability to hit midrange shots and score in the low post and Meeks ability to cut to the basket and Knock down 3's. Now that Pau and Meeks are gone I don't see that type of success in store for him unless Randle is a freaking Prodigy. 

#111 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,492 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:29 AM

^ I didn't try to prop him up. If you read my post you'd see I 100% agree that he has a lot of things to work on and some he can never really improve (like athleticism).

You're literally trying to argue with me on points I agree with you on. Go ahead and actually read my post then read what you're saying.

I just think it's stupid to not keep a guy who is practically "free" and averaged 9 assists last season even though those numbers were inflated. Even said if he doesn't improve them you don't re-sign him. Having him on the roster doesn't hurt us, especially now that we have Lin who is a starting PG.

You on the other hand would rather not keep him and overpay a bench pg who may or may not have a future here.

#112 jason.fxt

jason.fxt

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:31 AM

9 assists per game is nothing to sneeze at.

#113 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,140 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 14, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Yes he does.

As you can see in sleague they are running him at the 1 and Clarkson at the backup 2.

He looks like he has no chemistry with his teammates, and it doesn't help his shot wasn't falling.

The important thing is it looks like he's developing chemistry with Randle and Clarkson, the two guys most likely to make the team.

But he is gonna have to start making his jumpers or going to the basket more, he can't be out there off ball when Clarkson is handling it.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#114 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 796 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2014 - 12:26 PM

Yes & No...

Yes because of the way our roster looks

No because i think the lakers needs to gain our trust on them that this team will compete at a high level again and having marshall as our PG isnt gonna help that situation gets better.

#115 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,328 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2014 - 01:01 PM

YMCA Marshall. That's my boy.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#116 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts

Posted July 14, 2014 - 03:33 PM

^ I didn't try to prop him up. If you read my post you'd see I 100% agree that he has a lot of things to work on and some he can never really improve (like athleticism).

You're literally trying to argue with me on points I agree with you on. Go ahead and actually read my post then read what you're saying.

I just think it's stupid to not keep a guy who is practically "free" and averaged 9 assists last season even though those numbers were inflated. Even said if he doesn't improve them you don't re-sign him. Having him on the roster doesn't hurt us, especially now that we have Lin who is a starting PG.

You on the other hand would rather not keep him and overpay a bench pg who may or may not have a future here.

No you misunderstand. I think KM is fine as 3rd string guy for his price tag, but I certainly disagree with your argument that he could improve to a point where he is a starter.  He's lucky to even be in the NBA, and he is on the roster only because he is playing for peanuts, and the Lakers are incredibly desperate.

#117 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,492 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Does he have a future here?

Maybe, maybe not. He's been waived.

Lakers waiving guard Kendall Marshall, but have interest in bringing him back on a new deal if he clears waivers, league sources tell Yahoo.

#118 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:55 AM

This was expected. He has been playing really bad in the summer league. The guy is going into his 3rd season and he just isnt improving enough. 

#119 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,209 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 18, 2014 - 09:57 AM

Sooo his spot wasn't locked in after all....

All those guys that ganged up on me can eat crow.

#120 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,757 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 18, 2014 - 10:03 AM

My math yesterday was regrettably correct for Kendall Marshall - who was waived - just not enough space to sign Swaggy as promised

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users