Photo

Does Kendall Marshall have a future with the Lakers?

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#21 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,433 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:42 AM

There's obviously some glaring holes but I don't think I've ever seen someone who was this good at passing that didn't end up being good in the NBA. At least, no one comes to mind.

Perhaps it was MDA's offense that inflated his stats like many PGs before him but in the very few games he played before the Lakers he did similar things.

Marshall's first official start in the NBA came on March 27, 2013 against the Utah Jazz. He had 13 assists in that game, his first game to record double-digit assists. In three starts, he totaled 37 assists.[10]

Out of the 54 games he played for us he had 25 games of 10 assists or more. It's just something you cannot ignore....

So considering this guy has only 2 years of NBA experience and he's already recorded this many games with over 10 assists I don't think it'd be wise to just throw him away. Keep him on the bench at a minimum. If you can get a better PG where it financially makes sense for us then I'm all for that.

#22 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 383 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Not hard to rack up assists playing p&r basketball. It's not like the was breaking down defenders moving ppl around setting guys up making tough passes. MDA's offense kept the floor spread lots of easy kick outs for 3's or opposite block looks of p + r action. He also doesn't really get up on down the floor an create the easy fast break buckets. You need speed and handle for that. There are some pgs in the league who are an instant fast break when they get it. He is not one of them.

#23 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,006 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:52 AM

We should throw Clarkson to the wolves and let him start. I wont be able to stomach seeing Marshall or Farmar out there. Give me a new face. Our PG rotation is abysmal.

#24 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,059 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 28, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Decent backup PG at very favorable rock bottom price (lets not forget)

That said if we can get Steve Blake back for vets min i think the lakers do that deal.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#25 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 28, 2014 - 12:15 PM

Not hard to rack up assists playing p&r basketball.

There's a LOT of pick and roll basketball being played in the league, so please, do me a favor:

Find me the list of PG's (or players, doesn't matter the position) that have played 29 MPG or less, averaged 8.8 APG or more, in 45+ starts (Marshall's stats or better).

There's only one, in NBA history, and it's Kendall Marshall.

#26 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 383 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 01:21 PM

You want to beat the drum for Marshall then go ahead. He is not a starter in the NBA and was flat out cut by a team that didn't make the playoffs. He is the least athletic pg in the NBA and can't shoot a lick. All the assist numbers in the world won't make that acceptable. Those two points alone will keep him a backup for the rest of his time in the NBA.

#27 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 01:56 PM

You want to beat the drum for Marshall then go ahead. He is not a starter in the NBA and was flat out cut by a team that didn't make the playoffs. He is the least athletic pg in the NBA and can't shoot a lick. All the assist numbers in the world won't make that acceptable. Those two points alone will keep him a backup for the rest of his time in the NBA.

Kendall was cut by the Wizards without even playing a single game, or practicing, within three days of the trade they made for Marcin Gortat. Gortat was all they wanted, and they were focused on money once they got their man. Marshall, Brown and Lee meant nothing to them in that trade, especially when they were already sitting on Wall and Beal.

So, lack of athleticism and the inability to shoot will keep him a backup for the rest of his career? Isn't that what Cleveland fans said back in 2000, when they whined about Andre Miller not being able to shoot the ball past 16 feet, not being able to jump, and just being a facilitator?  Miller isn't the only example, by the way.  When Jason Kidd was out of his prime, he was still the starting PG of a Dallas team that toppled the Miami Heat for their first championship, despite being that guy who was "unathletic and unable to shoot the ball."

By the way, for such a horrible shot, Marshall hit 71 of his 178 threes (40%) last season.  With the right shooting coach, and opportunities, that percentage will maintain itself well.

Players come and go, scrubs to superstars, but almost every player is guaranteed to improve somewhat throughout his NBA career, without injuries coming into play.  Marshall, on the Suns, was not a starting PG...and the fact is, he may or may not have been...we don't know, because Phoenix didn't give him an opportunity to become just that.  Different story in LA, but it all depends on the supporting cast and how we play.

#28 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,166 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted June 28, 2014 - 02:32 PM

So if a guy avg a double double with scribe and d-league type players, what could he do with a healthier team?

No he doesn't have great athleticism
No he isn't aggressive
And
No he isn't a jaw dropper

But he is smart
He has Court vision
Did his thing under MDA
He played well with any unit he ran with
He never got runs in Washington or Phx

You keep him as an insurance policy. Nash isn't playing 82 games thus season ( just my thoughts)
You can't hand the keys to Clarkson
Do you want Farmar running the team?
Are you putting all yours eggs in a basket for Lowry?
Posted Image

#29 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Gunsmith Cats

• 8,454 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Good stuff, Elias :rock:

Only time will tell. 

MMiRi9s.png

#30 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,604 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 28, 2014 - 03:41 PM

Marshall is young and show some promise. Not every player we have has to be a future all star. 

#31 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,642 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 28, 2014 - 05:44 PM

Not every player we have has to be a future all star. 

THIS! 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#32 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 383 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 06:57 PM

At what I feel is one of the most important positions on the floor you can't have an average player. The days of the pass 1st and pass only pg are long gone. It's beyond difficult to hide your pg in today game. Your pg has to be a scorer from at least mid range in. IF your pg can't finish at and around the hoop your offense will suffer unless you have Lebron. It's not a luxury it's a necessity. If you have a pg who can stroke the 3 ball you are really ahead of the game. Go to war with a very limited pg you will get limited results.

BTW...Jason Kidd even the old version was still much quicker and more crafty around the rim that Marshall. Young J. Kidd was a terrific defender and stayed in the top 5 in steals. Old J. Kidd was a better defender that what K. Marshall is today. Kidd also became a very acceptable 3 pt shooter when he aged but when he was young he was dynamic in a way that K. Marshall has never and will never be. Floor vision....speed...defense...ability to attack the rim....one man fast break etc. Andre Miller has never won any thing and should have been a backup pg even when he was getting opportunities to start.

Marshall is young and show some promise. Not every player we have has to be a future all star. 

#33 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:26 PM

If you have a pg who can stroke the 3 ball you are really ahead of the game.

Marshall can, at 40%. That was already stated.

That's correct, not every player we have has to be an all-star. That's my point, so I'm not quite sure why you're expecting so much more at the PG position.

#34 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,172 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Marshall has something that really impresses me.. superb court vision that makes up for a lot of lack of athleticism, he can throw some dimes too. 

ap1.png

#35 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,508 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:38 PM

i think his highest potential is an andre miller (someone who i actually rate high personally) - old reliable, minus the post-up game

bw1wOGf.png

#36 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,642 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Marshall on any bench with shooters is devastating.   He doesn't really have to score to be effective.  Even when D'antoni would bench him for the 4th quarter cause he believed in Farmar so much till he realized he shouldn't, Marshall still would have 7-8 assists or so.  

Marshall running our bench unit with the likes of Meeks, or Young or Bazemore and Kelly and Sacre on the pick and roll etc against other benches would be devastating imo.     We don't need Marshall to score 15/10 off the bench.   For him 6/7 off our bench at 21 minutes played would be effective enough considering everyone else that would be scoring.  That's what we need.  We need a capable bench and a point guard to run it while Kobe is resting, Kobe and whoever else is starting with him to be resting.    

#37 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Does he? Possibly, I hope not. 

Should he? Hell no, tons of better guards out there, and I could care less about his assists numbers that are a product of D'Antonis system, He has no defense whatsoever and plays lazily, also off the court acts like hes the [expletive], don't appreciate that either. He belongs with the D-Fenders. 

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,642 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Its been debunked several times that Marshall is going to pile up assists no matter what system he's in. 

#39 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Its been debunked several times that Marshall is going to pile up assists no matter what system he's in.

Debunked by who? You and Real Deal and your advanced statistics?

The day Marshall plays defense and shows some heart is the day I want him on my team. As of now he can take his check and take off the purple and gold.

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#40 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,927 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Does he? Possibly, I hope not.

Should he? Hell no, tons of better guards out there, and I could care less about his assists numbers that are a product of D'Antonis system, He has no defense whatsoever and plays lazily, also off the court acts like hes the [expletive], don't appreciate that either. He belongs with the D-Fenders.

Did Kendall steal your girl?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users