Photo

Does Kendall Marshall have a future with the Lakers?

• Please log in to reply
404 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,424 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:24 AM

I dont know but I find it interesting to whitness those offseason moves by the lakers starting with Randle 2 days ago..

Now im thinking about Kendall Marshall, he had a solid season as a Laker and was thrown in the 1 position and he had some monster games kinda like a Cinderella story too but I dont know can he be consisent or likee can he be a major factor for the future of our Lakers as a starter or a solid backup?

Or do you think he will leave in 1-2 years cause he couldnt handle his own talent?

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,878 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:44 AM

There are too many uncertainties to be able to answer that question at this time. For example, if we end up with Carmelo, probably not...because the ball won't be in Marshall's hands enough for him to matter.

LeBron, Love, and others can make life easier for Marshall, even if he's running our offense, so there will be instances where he can shine on his own.

Meanwhile, a guy like Marshall can do the bulk of his damage when our stars are on the bench, but at that point, it'll depend on which coach we land. A good-to-great offensive coach will understand the five-man unit that is required for a facilitating PG, with options to not only spread the floor with shooters, but for post scoring and ISO opportunities as well.

#3 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted June 28, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Of course he does! The dude was what? 2nd in assists last season? Best passing point guard in the league.

Sarcasm aside. I don't think he can be a starter for us because he can't spread the floor well enough and he can't defend.

Can he be back up? He can, but they drafted Clarkson so I'm not sure where Marshall gets his PT.

I think they should go after Bledsoe or Isaiah. Especially with Pheonix drafting Ennis I think Bledsoe is a real possibility.

I think they'll end up picking up Marshall's option regardless and I think they should. Maybe play Clarkson at the backup 2 spot and have Marshall play the backup 1?

We'll see.

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,848 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted June 28, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Dude was 2nd in the nba in assists per game

Passing the ball to total scrubs

He is a speci talent. A very talented passer.
There aren't more than one or two players in the nba with his gifted passing vision

Play to his strengths.
Don't turn him into an off the ball spot up shooter

#5 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,424 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:24 AM

i like him

especially because he looks like me :D :D

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:27 AM

He's a good passer but a horrible defender. I'm just not sold that he's ever gonna be a starting point on a winning team.

#7 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,608 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:32 AM

Marshall is still the best PG on our roster.

He's best served playing backup and facilitating the offense of our bench unit. I don't see him being nearly as effective this season when we have Kobe and Carmelo in the lineup.

Marshall
Meeks
Young
Randle
Kelly

Put him out there with a lineup like that for 20-25 minutes and he will be okay.
iyjywo.jpg

#8 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,611 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:32 AM

There are too many uncertainties to be able to answer that question at this time. For example, if we end up with Carmelo, probably not...because the ball won't be in Marshall's hands enough for him to matter.

LeBron, Love, and others can make life easier for Marshall, even if he's running our offense, so there will be instances where he can shine on his own.

Meanwhile, a guy like Marshall can do the bulk of his damage when our stars are on the bench, but at that point, it'll depend on which coach we land. A good-to-great offensive coach will understand the five-man unit that is required for a facilitating PG, with options to not only spread the floor with shooters, but for post scoring and ISO opportunities as well.

I do think you are on to something when you say 'when our stars are on the bench'.  I think him running a bench unit of offensive talent is what would make our bench always flow.  May be his absolute best role for us going into next year. 

Dude was 2nd in the nba in assists per game

Yep, with the least amount of minutes per game in the top 10.   That says something. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#9 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:38 AM

Yea I agree his role would be best as the point guard to an energy/offensive unit with guys that can get out and run and spread the floor. He would be basically useless with Kobe on the floor. Would be best with young as a spot up shooter and Meeks spotting up and cutting to the basket. Having a great pick and roll/pop big like Randle or kaman.

#10 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:42 AM

i like him

especially because he looks like me :D :D

tumblr_mgnfjjz5OS1rul0hko1_500.gif

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,848 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:43 AM

He's a good passer but a horrible defender. I'm just not sold that he's ever gonna be a starting point on a winning team.

Steve Nash horribly defended his way to 2 straight mvps

Not many PGs can lock down the other teams pg one on one.
But we just saw a team win a title with 'turnstile' tony Parker at pg
Fisher stopped being an average on ball, one on one defender back in 2006, and he played another 8 years!!!

Marshall should be able to play good team defense
It you want to have a pg that can slow someone down (lillard, Westbrook, Parker) bring in a defensive pg (Bazemore) and have him get the other pg out of Ryhthem

During the 2012 draft
Lot of lakers fans and basketball people said Marshall was a great passer, and many here were estatic!!! He was avalible in free agency

I have zero issues with him coming back and starting. And getting 24-30 mins a night. He can learn to play team defense. He can improve his shot. It's so much harder to teach those passing instincts.
And that's what he has. Great passing instincts and ability.

Months and months ago, I said i want lakers to take randle, and marshal and randle would be the new stocken Malone!!!! Huge overstatement. But I don't think its as crazy as it sounds. Randle is going to get easy buckets. Easy buckets!!!! For years!!!

#12 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 890 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted June 28, 2014 - 10:58 AM

He does what a PG does. Most PG's in the NBA are bad defenders.

#13 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Rookie

• 1,315 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:00 AM

I like hia tweets and instagram. Sign him up!

#14 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Fisher stopped being an average on ball, one on one defender back in 2006, and he played another 8 years!!!

It you want to have a pg that can slow someone down (lillard, Westbrook, Parker) bring in a defensive pg (Bazemore) and have him get the other pg out of Ryhthem

During the 2012 draft
Lot of lakers fans and basketball people said Marshall was a great passer, and many here were estatic!!! He was avalible in free agency

I have zero issues with him coming back and starting. And getting 24-30 mins a night. He can learn to play team defense. He can improve his shot. It's so much harder to teach those passing instincts.

Months and months ago, I said i want lakers to take randle, and marshal and randle would be the new stocken Malone!!!! Huge overstatement. But I don't think its as crazy as it sounds. Randle is going to get easy buckets. Easy buckets!!!! For years!!!

Steve Nash is one of the greatest shooters and one of the greatest passers this game has ever seen. Marshall padded his stats a little to make guys like you giddy. Every 3 he took was 5 feet away from the nearest defender, so people look at his percentage and think he's a good shooter.

Fisher has always been a high basketball IQ guy, and is built like a rock. He's never been fast off his feet, but his champion runs have had Shaq/Bynum/Pau down low to protect the paint.

If Marshall plays great team defense like Parker I'll bite my tongue, but until proven wrong, I'm sticking with my guns on this. Marshall cannot be a starting point guard on a winning team.

I hope he does improve though, he's already a naturally gifted passer with good court vision, but has some huge holes in his game.

#15 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:03 AM

He does what a PG does. Most PG's in the NBA are bad defenders.

Yea but he's so bad on defense that Meeks had to pick up the other teams point guards most of the time they were on the floor together. There's a difference between being a bad defender, and not being able to defend your position.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,611 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yea but he's so bad on defense that Meeks had to pick up the other teams point guards most of the time they were on the floor together. There's a difference between being a bad defender, and not being able to defend your position.

And we had to stick Steve Nash on Danny Green while we let someone else defend Tony Parker.   Same thing.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#17 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 386 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Horrible shooter/scorer also. You pg can't be an average athlete in today' game. He will get eaten alive on both ends. Dragic is actually more explosive an can dish it when he wants to in addition to being able to stroke the rock. Phoenix gave up on him for multiple reasons. Marshall may be the only pg in the league that can't dunk the ball. Good passer but does u no good when you can't create space for yourself or penetrate without a screen. Funny dude with a fan friendly personality but far from a special talent....too limited.

#18 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:36 AM

And we had to stick Steve Nash on Danny Green while we let someone else defend Tony Parker. Same thing.

Yea but Steve Nash is a 41 year old with a broken leg and a jacked up back. You see why it's kinda bad that a guy in his early 20s is compared to him defensively.

#19 WeNeedVanExcel

WeNeedVanExcel

Rookie

• 386 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:38 AM

Tony may give it up on one end but he more than makes up for it on the other. Not many in the league able to get in the paint the way he does an finish no matter who is protecting the rim. The mid range game is also murder. When he wants to get others involved he is unstoppable. Kendall will never be that skilled or that fast.

During the 2012 draft

Edited by WeNeedVanExcel, June 28, 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#20 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,424 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 11:40 AM

with farmar and clarkson in the team too

what do you think about the pressure now on marshall???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users