Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:16 PM

I totally agree with the bold part. 

So Horry >Jordan>Kobe?

You don't judge individual skill by team awards & team accomplishments. The circumstances and competition are always different. And MVPs are a popularity contest for writers that people use as a statement of fact when it's just another statement of opinion.

Fans will argue all day who is better Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, Wilt, Magic, etc...and rarely will someone be swayed from their OPINION. That's all it is.

My OPINION is the difference in skillset and talent is negligible. Maybe Kobe is a better pure shooter and maybe Jordan was a better athlete...but its hardly noticable between the two. The real difference is that Jordan played the game with restraint and Kobe is a gunner at heart. You can't change that and that's why Jordan is a better player. He rarely, if ever, lost control of his game. Jordan reached the peak of his talent and Kobe never did. If Kobe had ever learned some self control on his shot selection, he may have been the greatest but its the one thing he could never master.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#82 kidpolean

kidpolean

Rookie

• 429 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:23 PM

So Horry >Jordan>Kobe?

You don't judge individual skill by team awards & team accomplishments. The circumstances and competition are always different. And MVPs are a popularity contest for writers that people use as a statement of fact when it's just another statement of opinion.

Fans will argue all day who is better Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, Wilt, Magic, etc...and rarely will someone be swayed from their OPINION. That's all it is.

My OPINION is the difference in skillset and talent is negligible. Maybe Kobe is a better pure shooter and maybe Jordan was a better athlete...but its hardly noticable between the two. The real difference is that Jordan played the game with restraint and Kobe is a gunner at heart. You can't change that and that's why Jordan is a better player. He rarely, if ever, lost control of his game. Jordan reached the peak of his talent and Kobe never did. If Kobe had ever learned some self control on his shot selection, he may have been the greatest but its the one thing he could never master.

i actually don't agree fully with this. Did you watch enough of both guys? Jordan chucked shots as well. Kobe played second option to Shaquille which forced Kobe to get his shots in plus Shaquille made it harder for Kobe to slash which is why his fg% is lower. Picture Lebron with a prime Shaquille, there is no way he would get to the basket as often as he does. He would have to take more jumpers.

#83 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 610 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:37 PM

So Horry >Jordan>Kobe?

I wasn't talking about team awards or team accomplishments.I was talking about the man and his absolute dominance  with the most clutch performances ever recorded in  NBA History.  His unwavering ability to achieve excellence regardless of the odds. His will to win and his ability to elevate his game to it's highest point at the most critical moment time and time again. The MVP may be arguable because it is subjective, but scoring titles are as matter a fact as it gets.

Yes, fans will argue until you go to the record look at the facts and educate yourself without any bias. Just let the numbers wash over you and cleanse you of all the flawed intuition and emotional bias. :bleh:  I've seen MJ double and triple teamed. Clothes lined and choked, grabbed and just thrown to the ground. And you look at MJ and he's just calm and determined. No whining to the refs on every little bit of contact.

I agree with you and Phil about Kobe and his poor decisions. Kobe has driven every coach he's had absolutely nuts. You never Heard Phil demanding that the Bulls trade Jordan, but Phil damn sure did with Kobe. Read Phil's book and then tell me who the greater player is after reading it. It has a lot to do with discipline or that lack of it to be more precise.

You ask most people and they will tell you that Kobe is the most clutch guy in the game. That however is not true, I love Kobe he's amazing, but man it's so corny to hear how Kobe's shot repertoire and footwork makes him equal to Jordan. It's about winning and making your teammates better in order to do so. Look at how the triangle ran with MJ and look at it with Kobe. It's not nearly as effective. 

As for Comparing a superstar center to any guard it's a worthless comparison. Wilt had a season where he averaged 50 ppg 20 rebounds and that's before blocks were recorded. That's why it's meaningful to compare similar positions. And if we compare them between Kobe, Lebron, and MJ, MJ is still better than them all.

http://bleacherrepor...el-jordans-best

#84 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:47 PM

there was no internet to expose MJ for who he really was during his reign.

107299-Jim-Carrey-laughing-gif-Imgur-E6w

Pau Gasol is GONE

#85 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 444 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 05:05 PM

107299-Jim-Carrey-laughing-gif-Imgur-E6w

what is funny??? See all the BS about Kobe and he's a Laker.

Imagine Jordan being the best player of the league in other team.

#86 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Not really.  MJ is loved because he is a pop culture icon and the one of the biggest reasons athletes see the endorsements they see today.  People dont hate Kobe b/c he's a Laker it's actually the other way around.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#87 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,198 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 18, 2014 - 05:49 PM

why are stats an end all of debating players? they are a big fraction.. but not the only factor

ap1.png

#88 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 444 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Not really.  MJ is loved because he is a pop culture icon and the one of the biggest reasons athletes see the endorsements they see today.  People dont hate Kobe b/c he's a Laker it's actually the other way around.

I was talking about this forum in particular.

#89 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 06:35 PM

They aren't but you can't conveniently ignore them when they don't fit the context of your argument.  I love Kobe as a player like the most other Lakers fans but you can't try to drum up some fantasy reason why he should be even considered equal in greatness to MJ.  There is nothing wrong with Kobe not being the top guy.  He's had a great run as a player, probably still has some left and is easily a top 10 of all time player in my book.  Just think fans need to give the MJ talk a rest and appreciate what Kobe helped bring to the team and the game

why are stats an end all of debating players? they are a big fraction.. but not the only factor

#90 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I don't like entertaining that line of thinking. The internet has nothing to do with...nothing.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#91 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,742 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:20 PM

I don't like entertaining that line of thinking. The internet has nothing to do with...nothing.

So...it has something to do with everything? 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#92 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 19, 2014 - 05:36 AM

you obviously outta of touch with internet then. Forumns like Bleacherreport used to be anyone could post their ops & get coverage fast forward to it being bought out for cr8z $ & now credible journalist report off of there. If you dont think Internet has anything to do with shaping an image for athlete you lying to yourself. its all branding now any1 can be exposed! Back in Mj day the reporters kept "certains" story hush = nothing is safe now.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#93 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts

Posted June 19, 2014 - 05:57 AM

you obviously outta of touch with internet then. Forumns like Bleacherreport used to be anyone could post their ops & get coverage fast forward to it being bought out for cr8z $ & now credible journalist report off of there. If you dont think Internet has anything to do with shaping an image for athlete you lying to yourself. its all branding now any1 can be exposed! Back in Mj day the reporters kept "certains" story hush = nothing is safe now.

That conspiracy mess that you're always on has nothing to do with MJ being the GOAT. It's all about the play on the court.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#94 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 19, 2014 - 06:22 AM

ITs easy to say conspiracy when you have no substance to counter! Its never just about play on the court in todays gm!

That conspiracy mess that you're always on has nothing to do with MJ being the GOAT. It's all about the play on the court.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#95 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,609 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 23, 2014 - 08:47 AM

kobe is not better than jordan today...and he'd have to win at least 2 more chips (don't even think 6 puts him over the top) and put up some pretty mean numbers in the next couple of years for that to even make this a legitimate conversation

though i'm sure someone has covered that already

Posted Image

#96 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Haha, I love this site. Anybody who has seen Jordan and Kobe play would tell you they are nearly identical. What seperated them in my opinion is three things. Jordan's otherwordly athletism, Kobe uncanny ability to hit the most immpossible shots, and the competition. But both are virtually the same player, different era imo.

#97 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,657 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Ok guy...you made you're opinion on this clear awhile ago.  You think they are equals the majority of fans that includes Lakers fans don't...probably not going to change either.

Haha, I love this site. Anybody who has seen Jordan and Kobe play would tell you they are nearly identical. What seperated them in my opinion is three things. Jordan's otherwordly athletism, Kobe uncanny ability to hit the most immpossible shots, and the competition. But both are virtually the same player, different era imo.

#98 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:47 AM

I don't think they're equal as far as legacy, but as far as talent, they mirror each other. Y U NO AGREE?

#99 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 10:55 AM

I can't think of one thing Kobe does better than Jordan other than range with his shot. 

Edited by Windu, June 23, 2014 - 10:55 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#100 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,695 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted June 23, 2014 - 11:02 AM

U guyz r all kobe h8terz

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kobe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users