#22 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 934 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 17, 2014 - 01:31 PM

Who said prime? Artest's defense is the principle reason for beating the Celtics and bringing Los Angeles another title. In Fact Artest was brought into to replace Ariza because the LAKERS  had no answer for Paul Pierce. Artest routinely picked up the oppositions best offensive weapon night in and night out.

Artest gave us one good year. One. Artest's defense was one of many factors but let's not try to act like he was ever on the level of scottie pippen in 2010.

The Lakers brought in Artest to get better at the 3 position. They were already world champs, not like they knew the Celtics would make it back to the finals in 2010.

P. S. - At this moment I'm on the side that Jordan was better. I've flipped flopped in the past.

Edited by MrRJ, June 17, 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#23 DaveGrumbles

DaveGrumbles

Rookie

• 177 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba, Big Game James

Posted June 17, 2014 - 01:45 PM

So the guy has to be a hall of famer to qualify as an elite defender?  You sure tried hard to minimize the impact of Ron Artest who guarded the best offensive player routinely for Kobe? Kobe wasn't guarding the best offensive player either so I don't understand why you even bothered to make the point, but I'm the revisionist :clap2:

When you are comparing an over-the-hill Ron Artest to having Pippen in his prime for 10 years ...you go right past revisionist and straight into delusional.

But yeah I get the point that when Kobe had any perimeter help on D, he won rings. That was also my point.

I'd rate those 80's Celtics teams higher than any of the Spurs teams. same with the Pistons teams they were just better in my view than any of the teams Kobe faced, and I think the 91 team was a pretty good team as Well they just ran into Jordan and the Bulls who were by far the class of the NBA at that point.

You do realize the Bulls didn't win anything in the 80s, right?

#24 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,656 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 17, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Who said prime? Artest's defense is the principle reason for beating the Celtics and bringing Los Angeles another title. In Fact Artest was brought into to replace Ariza because the LAKERS  had no answer for Paul Pierce. Artest routinely picked up the oppositions best offensive weapon night in and night out.

:laughing: 

#25 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,773 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 17, 2014 - 03:00 PM

Kobe is better offensively. Jordan is better defensively. 

Next topic. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#26 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,043 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:19 PM

:laughing:

This. lmao

ap1.png

#27 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:35 PM

When you are comparing an over-the-hill Ron Artest to having Pippen in his prime for 10 years ...you go right past revisionist and straight into delusional.

But yeah I get the point that when Kobe had any perimeter help on D, he won rings. That was also my point.

You do realize the Bulls didn't win anything in the 80s, right?

I wasn't talking about winning I was talking about the level of competition. Kobe played a ton of tomato cans with a few decent teams that matched up well.

#28 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 686 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:40 PM

jLZz4Na.gif

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,773 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:46 PM

I wasn't talking about winning I was talking about the level of competition. Kobe played a ton of tomato cans with a few decent teams that matched up well.

Tomato cans like a Prime Tim Duncan, , David Robinson, Allen Iverson, Reggie Miller and Jason Kidd and 7 years later Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Dwight Howard :P

Edited by Majesty, June 17, 2014 - 05:47 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#30 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Artest gave us one good year. One. Artest's defense was one of many factors but let's not try to act like he was ever on the level of scottie pippen in 2010.

The Lakers brought in Artest to get better at the 3 position. They were already world champs, not like they knew the Celtics would make it back to the finals in 2010.

P. S. - At this moment I'm on the side that Jordan was better. I've flipped flopped in the past.

That year was a Title and If Artest isn't there Kobe has 4 rings to MJ's 6. That's apparently no big deal.  You can say whatever you want but the LAKERS are on record for why they went after Artest.

I didn't know that the Heat would be in this year's finals when the season started but I doubt there were many that thought the Heat would not return to the finals.

Just go to the record and you won't have any need to flip flop. MJ is better and he absolutely dominated his era, Which is why when it's all said and done MJ will still be considered the superior player.

http://www.lakersnat...als/2014/01/16/

#31 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,406 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:53 PM

MJ is better overall than Kobe in every aspect of the game except for 3 pt shooting which he was effective at when needed.  It's not a knock on Kobe to not be as great as Jordan.  I mean when did #2 best SG of all time become a bad thing?  It's not like Kobe is being considered 2nd best to Wade or Tmac.  MJ is in most circles considered the greatest player to ever pick up a ball. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#32 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,406 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 17, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Even if Kobe does get a 6th ring MJ is still clear cut the GOAT.  Kobe going into his 19th season is still chasing MJ's accolades.  MJ only played 14 seasons. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, June 17, 2014 - 05:55 PM.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#33 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,391 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:00 PM

MJ is better overall than Kobe in every aspect of the game except for 3 pt shooting which he was effective at when needed.  It's not a knock on Kobe to not be as great as Jordan.  I mean when did #2 best SG of all time become a bad thing?  It's not like Kobe is being considered 2nd best to Wade or Tmac.  MJ is in most circles considered the greatest player to ever pick up a ball. 

I'd probably say midrange as well.

#34 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Tomato cans like a Prime Tim Duncan, , David Robinson, Allen Iverson, Reggie Miller and Jason Kidd and 7 years later Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Dwight Howard :P

I was referring to conference which is what you went off the deep end about. Really not a hard question for most. If you are constructing the all time greatest team... who plays the SG position?

Beside that Kobe lost to the Celtics in humiliating fashion in the Finals, and as you make clear he did not dominate his era as much as MJ.  6 Rings in 6 tries pretty much says it all, on teams where MJ led the team to victory. Kobe has a lot of inferior finals games where other players have to step up in huge fashion or the Lakers lose the Finals. Shaq and Kobe's first title is a prime example. Pau and Artest going off and playing like beasts. Big difference in the way MJ performed in close out games to the way Kobe has over his career.

Magic says it best, short and sweet:

http://www.insidesoc...aise-of-bryant/

#35 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Even if Kobe does get a 6th ring MJ is still clear cut the GOAT.  Kobe going into his 19th season is still chasing MJ's accolades.  MJ only played 14 seasons. 

Exactamundo

#36 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:10 PM

I'd probably say midrange as well.

Even the three point shooting is very close it's not as if Kobe dominated MJ at anything. MJ dominates defensively as well in career fg%.

#37 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:12 PM

Kobe is better offensively. Jordan is better defensively. 

Next topic. 

He is the career ppg averages and fg% says otherwise.

#38 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,660 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:21 PM

He is the career ppg averages and fg% says otherwise.

Yah, everyone knows that those don't paint the whole picture. Otherwise LeBron would be the GOAT.

Hate to blow you off, if you use the search button, you can find previous threads where a lot of us posted in depth analysis on Kobe Bryant and his offensive prowess. Including Real Deal himself.

#39 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,753 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:25 PM

This thread. Again. Wouldn't be the offseason without it.

#40 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 582 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yah, everyone knows that those don't paint the whole picture. Otherwise LeBron would be the GOAT.

Hate to blow you off, if you use the search button, you can find previous threads where a lot of us posted in depth analysis on Kobe Bryant and his offensive prowess. Including Real Deal himself.

It's all good I watched Jordan's whole career from his days as a Tarheel to when he retired just as I watched Kobe from the day he stepped onto the court in the NBA, and no matter what is written or what is argued: One thing will always be true; The championship Bulls teams were MJ's. Led by him and he dominated the scoring.

Whereas Kobe's first three Title's were won on Shaq's teams with Shaq dominating the scoring in their first finals together. That is a long lost fact of the NBA history books that is seldom recalled except by those who were there. Shaq was the first option and Kobe was the second option. Jordan was always option number one. As was Shaq who won three consecutive Finals MVP's

I am not disputing that Kobe is a great scorer. Who would dispute that??  Kobe is however a volume shooter who relies on the foul line to add to his point totals more than Jordan. Jordan just took better shots and made them more consistently. Seriously if you had a choice between a player that shot 50% for his career or a player that shot 45.5% and averaged fewer ppg who would you consider the better and more efficient scorer?

Those are just facts that don't require interpretation because they speak for themselves. Jordan was a better scorer. Now he may not have won a game of horse against Kobe, but I have absolutely no doubt that if the two  could have ever played in an NBA Finals in their primes MJ would out perform Kobe. AND that is not based upon personal bias. That is based upon the distinct differences in Finals performances that Clearly favor MJ as the more effective and reliable player.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kobe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users