Photo

Derek Fisher accepts Knicks head coaching job; 5-year, $25million deal

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,185 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 09, 2014 - 03:15 PM

Congrats to him. I'd think he'd do a better job than Jason Kidd who has done a good one so far (IMO).

... no. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#22 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,879 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 03:40 PM

... no. 

....yes. Err...you're reffing to the Jason Kidd comment, right? Cause just saying "no" to a post doesn't help me much.

34 and 17 since January with a team that frankly, just isn't that good. The East sucks, I'll give you that but to go from 10 and 21 to 34 and 17, that's not just lucky. 

Was his first year ever coaching and he was able to turn around what could have easily been a season that was going nowhere to a team that made the playoffs and advanced.

I happened to think it was a bad hire at the time but I'd be lying if I said he didn't end up doing a good job considering the circumstances when the best player on that team is a 36 year old Paul Pierce......

Unless you're just saying D-Fish wont be a good coach, then I guess we'll wait and see.

#23 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Look at the talent Jason Kidd had around him and even all the struggles they had this year and the run they went on now look at the talent the Knicks have around them.   

The Knicks if/when Melo leaves are headed for the lottery.  Best thing for that team would be Melo leaving and them getting a top 5 pick. 

#24 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Haha damn who woulda guessed him and Phil in NY. Good luck DFish!

#25 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Off The Bench

• 1,606 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:13 PM

If Rambis is such a great coach and a buddy of PJ, then why is he not the new Knick HC? I certainly wouldnt want to be an assistant to a player I coached.

Anywho, congrats DFish.

#26 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 612 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Look at the talent Jason Kidd had around him and even all the struggles they had this year and the run they went on now look at the talent the Knicks have around them.   

The Knicks if/when Melo leaves are headed for the lottery.  Best thing for that team would be Melo leaving and them getting a top 5 pick. 

I read the other post about Kidd and I have to say Kidd did a fair job. I really was not impressed over all because the Nets still didn't do much and obviously are not a legit team to do anything. They are old and slow and have a wealth of experience and high IQ players. That is all good stuff but it comes in a distant second to speed and athleticism.

I love Derek Fisher as a coaching choice, but I don't hold out much hope that he will be very successful given the poor roster led by an aging primadonna.  Good Luck to Derek and PJ but it's a very tall order.

#27 L4K

L4K

Rookie

• 996 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Good for Fish, I hope he does well there. I'm glad the Lakers didn't pick him though, I'd be wary of a coach with no previous experience on any level. Starting in New York is a tough ask but having Phil must've been the draw for him, because the roster certainly wouldn't have been.

#28 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,045 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:33 PM

PJ really wants that Triangle at MSG...

#29 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,887 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:35 PM

If Rambis is such a great coach and a buddy of PJ, then why is he not the new Knick HC? I certainly wouldnt want to be an assistant to a player I coached.

Anywho, congrats DFish.

Rambis has never been a good head coach. He had one season with the lakers but that really was due to a ton of talent. He was clueless with minny. 

#30 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 612 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:38 PM

PJ really wants that Triangle at MSG...

A triangle without a dominant big is a losing system. I can't imagine the current roster being able to execute the triangle. The Knicks have a lot of house cleaning to do starting with Melo. They should trade him for an actual starting five considering how hard up so many teams are for a star to come to their house.

#31 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Congrats Fisher. I wish you the best. Good luck in NY!

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#32 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,378 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted June 09, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Congrats to D-Fish! Wanted him as an assistant so this kinda sucks but he's got every ingredient to succeed as a head coach in the NBA.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#33 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:34 PM

If Melo leaves NYC, they are going to be a terrible team in the short term for at least two years. Even if he stays, they would be a low seed at best barring a blockbuster trade. It would be interesting if Fisher could pull a Hornacek, but NY has nowhere near the young talent that PHX does. Reputation is everything for a new blood coach, and a bad WL record in the first few years will hurt him in the future, whether it be warranted or not.

#34 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,180 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:19 PM

A triangle without a dominant big is a losing system.

Not necessarily. Chicago never had a dominant big.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#35 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,020 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:21 PM

220px-Isosceles-right-triangle.jpg

#36 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,185 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:13 PM

You'd need a dominant big or a transcendent guard.   None of which is on the Knicks. 

#37 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 612 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:53 PM

Not necessarily. Chicago never had a dominant big.

Dude are you serious? They had this guy named Jordan that nobody on planet earth knew how to defend. The Three centers Phil rotated are better than any center we have had in years, and they all knew the system like the back of their hand thanks to Tex Winter. It didn't hurt that Pippen turned into a first team defender and legit scorer.

Carmelo is basically a one trick pony and the ball has to move in the triangle. The Only triangle that resembles Melo's game is the Bermuda triangle. Triangle is about flow not ball stopping.

#38 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,572 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted June 10, 2014 - 03:13 AM

Shoulda hired him. 

Derek Fisher
□ Luke Walton

Its sad that we now have a FO that has the basketball IQ equivalent of dim-witted chipmunks that just ate a fresh batch of special brownies.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#39 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,180 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 10, 2014 - 05:56 AM

Dude are you serious? They had this guy named Jordan that nobody on planet earth knew how to defend. The Three centers Phil rotated are better than any center we have had in years, and they all knew the system like the back of their hand thanks to Tex Winter. It didn't hurt that Pippen turned into a first team defender and legit scorer.

Carmelo is basically a one trick pony and the ball has to move in the triangle. The Only triangle that resembles Melo's game is the Bermuda triangle. Triangle is about flow not ball stopping.

I shouldn't have to say this, but Michael Jordan was not a:

a dominant big

Those Bulls never ever ever ever ever ever ever had a DOMINANT BIG. 

Bill Cartwright wasn't anywhere near dominant, Luc Longley wasn't anywhere dominant, Bill Wennington wasn't anywhere near dominant, Will Purdue wasn't anywhere near dominant.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#40 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,895 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Bad, desperation hire by the Knicks.

The only reason Kidd had any success was because of the veterans around him on and off the court. And they still struggled mightily. Fisher is going to have a terrible time trying to match that on any level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users