Photo

Stein: LaMarcus Aldridge won't sign a contract extension, wants to be free agent in 2015

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:27 AM

he must be sick of the weather & city in general; cuz he got a solid young nice group of talent = not true title contender but they have much better upside then most.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,971 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Well like I said, Portland is sort of in the same space that Golden State was in last year.  Middle of the pack.  they are either gonna go forward or backwards.  If they stay where they are it's gonna be that way for a while. 

Now the Lakers are gonna go one of three directions next year. 

They are gonna suck very badly and get a top 5 pick and not land Aldridge but will land Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander, Emmanuel Mudiay, Karl Towns or Stanley Johnson.. 

or..

The Lakers are going to suck next year marginally, miss the playoffs and miss out of the top 5 pick and get no one as the picks currently stand. 

or

The Lakers are going to make the playoffs and be a darkhorse that suffers a first/second round exit after a valiant fight.  

If you want Aldridge you're going to have to hope for the third option and you're also going to have to hope that Portland doesn't go further.   

So your best case scenario is playing a team like Phoenix and going 7 while Portland has to face OKC or the Spurs and goes out in 5.   

That's when you'd have a shot at landing Aldridge if you're the Lakers.  Anything less and he has no reason to either leave Portland, or if he leaves Portland no reason to pick the Lakers over a few other suiters.  

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#43 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,801 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:42 AM

That wasn't really a fault of Dwight's tho.  If anything skill wise Pau had the skill set OFFENSIVELY to make it work especially in HORNS sets but defensively Pau is terrible at the 4.  As I've said before Pau played victim too much and after they got Dwight they should have shipped Pau when they had the chance. 

All you'd need to do is watch how Dwight "gelled" with Pau to know he can't work with Aldridge. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#44 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,119 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Good.  

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#45 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 337 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted June 09, 2014 - 09:34 AM

That wasn't really a fault of Dwight's tho.  If anything skill wise Pau had the skill set OFFENSIVELY to make it work especially in HORNS sets but defensively Pau is terrible at the 4.  As I've said before Pau played victim too much and after they got Dwight they should have shipped Pau when they had the chance. 

I think Pau's defense is often unfairly criticised. He has frustrated Dirk and Timmy more than anyone else you can think of.

It's not his primary game, but he can do well. Antoni was turrrible to Pau.

And Dwight wasn't staying, no matter what happened.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,801 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Im not buying that.  Lakers go deep into the playoffs and Kobe doesn't blow his achilles there's a better chance he stays.  Pau and Dwight simply does not work at a high level.  Pau is unfairly criticized on D but he is terrible at the 4 b/c he cannot defend there.  At the 5 he's still solid and that's where he should be. 

I think Pau's defense is often unfairly criticised. He has frustrated Dirk and Timmy more than anyone else you can think of.

And Dwight wasn't staying, no matter what happened.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,971 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:09 AM

What Jody said.  And if Dwight had stayed Pau was being amnestied or he was being shipped out for a stretch 4 with a similar contract(Ryan Anderson maybe?), there was no question about that and if the Lakers still got their inexpensive bench this year with a healthy Kobe and Dwight who knows what happens but one thing's for sure.  Dwight leaving gave Pau and extra year in Los Angeles. 

#48 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:48 AM

All you'd need to do is watch how Dwight "gelled" with Pau to know he can't work with Aldridge. 

That's not a slight against Howard.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#49 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Must

Not

Say

Anything

Pau Gasol is GONE

#50 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Im not buying that.  Lakers go deep into the playoffs and Kobe doesn't blow his achilles there's a better chance he stays.  Pau and Dwight simply does not work at a high level.  Pau is unfairly criticized on D but he is terrible at the 4 b/c he cannot defend there.  At the 5 he's still solid and that's where he should be. 

Nash said it-

"Ultimately, I think Dwight wasn't comfortable here and didn't want to be here, and I think if he didn't want to be here, there's no point for anyone in him being here,"

"Frankly, I thought before the meeting, we didn't really have a chance,"

Although it may make for a couple of lean years, ultimately I think it's a good thing he's not a Laker..

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#51 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Rookie

• 991 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted June 09, 2014 - 03:49 PM

That wouldnt be too bad if we're able to pick him up for a good price. Play along with kobe for a year and go for the broke after kobe retires and pick up 2 superstars.

#52 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 09, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Nash said it-

"Ultimately, I think Dwight wasn't comfortable here and didn't want to be here, and I think if he didn't want to be here, there's no point for anyone in him being here,"

"Frankly, I thought before the meeting, we didn't really have a chance,"

Although it may make for a couple of lean years, ultimately I think it's a good thing he's not a Laker..

I don't know if I buy into all of the psychoanalyzing as having premium talent in a big man is a hard thing to come by. I think Dwight was on the fence and Kobe made his life in L.A. absolutely miserable. D'Antoni was another huge factor and it was silly to hire him given his backward anti defense philosophy.

I'd have to say that if PJ was the coach; Kobe would have been less vocal. D'Antoni wasn't a leader and he had absolutely no sway whatsoever over Kobe. I think PJ could have convinced Dwight to sign an extension, and if DH wasn't working out they could have moved him. A lot of mismanagement went on and now the team is in shambles.

#53 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 337 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Must

Not

Say

Anything

from your sig, I know where your feelings sit, but have you compared them?

Player            Dwight      Pau     diff.

Points            18.3          17.4     *0.9

Rebounds     12.2           9.7      *2.5

Blocks            1.8            1.5       *0.3

FT                   .547           .736     .189*

TO                   3.2            2.4        0.8*

Assists           1.8            3.4        1.6*

Edited by Chick Stern, June 09, 2014 - 06:56 PM.

--Jerry West

#54 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Pau is slow to rotate but if we had a 1 that didnt get [expletive]ted on every possesion he'd be fine in a  team oriented defense.

Edited by Ham, June 09, 2014 - 08:45 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#55 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Pau is slow to rotate but if we had a 1 that didnt get [expletive]ted on every possesion he'd be fine in a  team oriented defense.

So you're saying as long as Pau has help on every defensive possession, team would be cool?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#56 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,567 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:13 PM

So you're saying as long as Pau has help on every defensive possession, team would be cool?

isnt that the same way the nash team succeeded in phx? you do not need a good defensive player in every position to be successful.

pau can hold his own against most centers. but you cant expect him to be good at everything. theres only 5 centers max in the nba that play perfect defense. In 2011-2012 we had dfish, who got blown by every possesion. now we have even worse defenders. our defense is bad cause we have holes in every position

its unfair to say pau gasol and mda is the sole reason for bad defense. you blind fans will always find a scapegoat. 

obviously theres currently better options than pau since he was overpaid but in this league hes going to get 5-10 million anywhere.

Edited by Ham, June 09, 2014 - 11:18 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#57 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,971 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:17 PM

140604smart_wide.jpg

isnt that the same way the nash team succeeded in phx? you do not need a good defensive player in every position to be successful.

Nash had Marion and Bell next to him defending on the wings and Stoudamire whom was a fine rotational defender.   Their defense was what lead to a lot of other teams turnovers and their fast breaks. 

#58 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 09, 2014 - 11:24 PM

I think that's what he's saying all the while forgetting that Nash and his Phoenix teammates were in their prime.

#59 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:01 AM

isnt that the same way the nash team succeeded in phx?

When did the Nash team succeed?  :yeahright:

There's no way a seven footer should receive help on every play. That's impractical.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#60 DaveGrumbles

DaveGrumbles

Rookie

• 232 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba, Big Game James

Posted June 10, 2014 - 06:37 AM

When did the Nash team succeed?  :yeahright:

There's no way a seven footer should receive help on every play. That's impractical.

Exactly. MDA squeezed a whole lot of nothing out of a ton of talent in PHX.

At this point in Pau's career his offensive game isn't enough to overcome his lack of defense. Jordan Hill is a bigger priority than Pau and could be had at less than half the price.  If Pau gave the Lakers a massive discount then bring him back but I'm guessing an eastern team will be willing to pay serious money for any big man with a pulse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users