Photo

Stein: LaMarcus Aldridge won't sign a contract extension, wants to be free agent in 2015

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,594 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:00 AM

Aldridge and Randolph have the best low post gms in the NBA. Only pf with a better perimeter touch than Aldridge is Love. Dude has a ridiculous skill set.

I was thinking LA's midrange game is almost unparalleled in todays game. Reminds me of Karl Malone's.

I havent analyzed or seen any shot charts to confirm but wow he just seems deadly from 15 ft in.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 08, 2014 - 05:04 AM

LaMarcus Aldridges midrange shot is an example of what's missing from todays game and what so many players have gotten away from in this "layups and 3 pointers" world of the NBA.  Which is why I thoroughly enjoyed Portland beating the epitome of that infatuation which is the Houston Rockets. 

Edited by Majesty, June 08, 2014 - 05:04 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#23 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 08, 2014 - 06:56 AM

He's actually better from 16 to 3 line based on charts.  He'd also benefit from either expanding his range to 3 or playing inside more often.  He doesn't get to the line very often and a lot of possessions are wasted on long 2's.  Doing one of these 2 or both would take his game to another level. 

I was thinking LA's midrange game is almost unparalleled in todays game. Reminds me of Karl Malone's.

I havent analyzed or seen any shot charts to confirm but wow he just seems deadly from 15 ft in.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#24 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 612 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:04 AM

I'd love to see Aldridge in a Laker uniform, his midrange shot is almost unstoppable and he can create his own shot. I also like his initials.

#25 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 612 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Aldridge and Randolph have the best low post gms in the NBA. Only pf with a better perimeter touch than Aldridge is Love. Dude has a ridiculous skill set.

Love has no defensive ability and he's often too far away from the basket for my tastes in Power forwards. Love can put up great stats on a team with no offensive threats, but I don't believe he is capable of closing out games. It's rare to see Love close in the 4th and even then it's usually a 3 pointer in the last seconds of a game. Lamarcus can take the rock to the hole as well as work the post game.  I am not a fan of the idea of relying on a stretch four.

Reminds me of MDA and that was a nightmare.

#26 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 612 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:18 AM

Love the guy, but yikes the purple and gold does not match him.

He's just so deeply associated with red and Black, but I think he looks great in a Laker uniform. Just put his picture next to Kobe's and Marcus Smart's and I think it will come into focus for you. 

#27 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 08, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Now the question is.

Lamarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love?

After the previous season and the his amazing post season performance, I have to go with Lamarcus.  His mid range ability is literally is unparalleled.  Love may want a significant amount of more money as well.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#28 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,943 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted June 08, 2014 - 08:42 AM

^^^ They both would want max.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#29 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted June 08, 2014 - 09:14 AM

^^^ They both would want max.

That's what I assume as well but I think Love will be more expensive on the market in comparison to LA.

Edited by lakers1o1, June 08, 2014 - 09:14 AM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#30 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Been diggin this dude since the university of Texas...

I bet you have

Posted Image

#31 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,493 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted June 08, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Now the question is.

After the previous season and the his amazing post season performance, I have to go with Lamarcus.  His mid range ability is literally is unparalleled.  Love may want a significant amount of more money as well.

LA all the way

Posted Image

#32 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,170 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 12:18 PM

Aldridge does have something that Love does not, and that is a post game.  Whereas Love can hit threes.  Both are capable rebounders but Love is the better one as well as the better passer.  But LaMarcus has a more reliable offense and seems a more capable big time player. 

If you wanted to have a stretch 4 that can rebound you go with Love if you want to have a guy with a post up game thats as deadly you go with Aldridge.   If you're breaking away from having a guy like Gasol then getting a guy like Aldridge would make the transition easier for Kobe who has played with a guy similar to Aldridge.    

Mind you, it would take Portland having a season this year a lot like the Warriors did where the team really doesn't go forward very much and if anything slides backwards.  We've seen it before.  on top of that the Lakers would have to put together something this year that could convince a guy like Aldridge that they're a piece away and it would take us rolling the dice and hitting a home run in free agency with a key role player(like DJ) but it would also take a showout year from Smart if we draft him. 

The main reason why I want Smart so badly is also because of guys like Love and Aldridge that will be available in 2015.  They both are far beyond any point that any big in that draft is going to be aside from maybe Embiid.   But the Lakers have always drafted the all-star guard and picked up the big man in free agency when they hit their prime and development.   So if we're eyeing guys like Aldridge and Love then we should be going after Randle and Vonleh.  

imo if Vonleh is still on the board at 7 and Smart and Randle are gone we should trade our pick down and try to land two picks that land us in position to take Payton + another player.   It's gonna take a really good off-season from us, a solid season a average to sliding backwards season from Portland and a good start to free agency in 2015 for us to get Aldridge's ear.   It's possible.  But we've got to do things right. 

#33 Rad

Rad

• 1,640 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Now the question is.

LA without a doubt.

#34 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,022 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Really hope our management goes after him. Love players who can play 2 positions well. For aldridge that's the power forward and the center spot

• 40,556 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Take a major paycut and join the Heat, lol. 

yo.

#36 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 329 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:01 AM

I don't think you'd go wrong with Aldridge or Love.

I would probably go Love because of his work ethic (not that Aldridge is a slouch) and his oneryness.

Love does have a post game, we just don't see it as much. Based on the metrics, his outside shooting is valuable.

I don't see Aldridge going to Houston. The cap makes it very difficult to have three well-paid players.

As it is, Houston is already hamstrung with Asik & Lin.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#37 KSOR24

KSOR24

Rookie

• 749 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:11 AM

I don't think you'd go wrong with Aldridge or Love.
I would probably go Love because of his work ethic (not that Aldridge is a slouch) and his oneryness.
Love does have a post game, we just don't see it as much. Based on the metrics, his outside shooting is valuable.
I don't see Aldridge going to Houston. The cap makes it very difficult to have three well-paid players.
As it is, Houston is already hamstrung with Asik & Lin.

Lin and Asik come off the books the same year Aldridge is a free agent.

#38 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,170 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Lin and Asik come off the books the same year Aldridge is a free agent.

If the Rockets let EVERYONE that's contract ends walk(including Parsons) they'd have enough to sign Aldridge.  And then 99% of their cap would be taken up by Harden. Dwight and Aldridge and they'd have a fantastic 1 million left to spend on other players... not gonna get it done.  The Rockets only have 21M in cap in 2015-2016 its enough for a max..but nothing following and thats if they let each contract end that ends in 2015 and don't retain Parsons. 

#39 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:22 AM

This big 3 thing that keeps getting pushed by fans as success is a falsehood.  Both big 3's today were constructed pre 2011 CBA and both made serious adjustments and sacrifices to games afterward to succeed.  I don't see any scenario where Dwight and LMA are highly effective together.  Offensively it would require LMA to stay out of the paint and be restricted to shooting jumpers (which is a horrible way to spend a max deal).  Defensively LMA is best when guarding C's.  He's not very good defensively to begin with and with Dwight in the fold he'd be stuck chasing around stretch 4's which would cripple their defense. 

Parsons is a great 3rd wheel to Dwight and Hard_n.  They just need a better coach, Hard_n to figure out how to be a solid defensive player like in OKC and for their bench to have some serviceable scorers outside of Jeremy Lin. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#40 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,170 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 08:24 AM

All you'd need to do is watch how Dwight "gelled" with Pau to know he can't work with Aldridge. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users