Sprint To Purchase T-Mobile for $50 Billion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,174 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Sprint has reached a deal to buy T-Mobile US for about US$50 billion, according to news reports on Wednesday.

Sprint, owned by Japan's Softbank, would pay about $40 per share for T-Mobile, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. The deal could still fall apart, the Journal warned.

Such a deal would combine the nation's third- and fourth-largest mobile operators, forming a larger rival to Verizon and AT&T but reducing the U.S. mobile market to just three major national carriers. Because of that change in the competitive lineup, the plan would probably face an uphill battle for regulatory approval.

If regulators rejected the plan, Sprint would have to pay T-Mobile more than $1 billion in cash and other assets, the Journal reported.

Under the proposed terms of the deal, T-Mobile parent company Deutsche Telekom would own 15 percent to 20 percent of the combined company.

Reports of a deal to combine Sprint and T-Mobile have circulated since late last year. Both carriers have struggled against much larger rivals in AT&T and Verizon, and each has only about half as many subscribers as either of the two big players. Just last year, Sprint agreed to sell 80 percent of its shares to Softbank in a deal that gave it a much-needed injection of cash to complete an elaborate network transformation.

However, the U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Communications Commission rejected an earlier attempted buyout of T-Mobile by AT&T, and since then T-Mobile has introduced plans that have helped change the way U.S. carriers sell phones and service. Some federal regulators have indicated they want the U.S. to remain a four-carrier market for just the kind of competitive pressure that an underdog like T-Mobile can put on prices and choice.

Edited by David, June 04, 2014 - 08:04 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 04, 2014 - 09:14 PM

monopoly-man-running-with-money-bag.jpg

#3 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,328 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 04, 2014 - 09:15 PM

many so many corporations are trying to monopolize their markets.. 'specially lookin at you comcast

ap1.png

#4 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted August 18, 2014 - 04:07 PM

If Sprint can shell out 50 billion dollars like nothing, I cannot imagine what at&t will shell out since they make so much more than Sprint. At&T can buy all the cell carrier if they want to. They are that rich

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#5 L4K

L4K

Rookie

• 840 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 18, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Pocket change...

#6 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 299 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted August 18, 2014 - 07:18 PM

If Sprint can shell out 50 billion dollars like nothing, I cannot imagine what at&t will shell out since they make so much more than Sprint. At&T can buy all the cell carrier if they want to. They are that rich

As an exAT&T employee, I can tell you that they don't have as much $ as you might think.
Yellowpages was a big cash cow, and once the Apple monopoly ended, they have struggled to replace that cash flow.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#7 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,230 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted August 19, 2014 - 07:00 AM

They decided awhile ago not to buy Tmobile if I remember right

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users