Photo

Houston decided not to match $46M Dallas offer sheet for Chandler Parsons. Parsons officially a Mav. (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,348 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 03, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Rockets To Decline Fourth-Year Option On Chandler Parsons
Jun 03, 2014 10:38 PM EDT

Parsons_Chandler_hou_131115.jpg

The Houston Rockets will decline the fourth-year option on the contract of Chandler Parsons to allow him to become a restricted free agent.

The Rockets hold a $960,000 option on Parsons for 14-15, but this move will allow the club to sign him this summer to a long-term deal to avoid letting him become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Houston is determined to create the necessary cap space to pursue a third max contract free agent.

LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony and Dirk Nowitzki are prospective targets for the Rockets.

The Rockets will also pursue a trade for Kevin Love, which creates sign-and-trade possibilities involving Parsons.

The Rockets could sign three max contract players and then re-sign Parsons to a new deal below the max-level range.

Parsons could command between $12 million and $13 million per season.

Yahoo Sources: Rockets plan to decline Chandler Parsons' option, freeing him to become a restricted free agent. http://yhoo.it/1kIxtpk 

Edited by Lakersfan1211, July 13, 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#2 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,348 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Rockets plan to DECLINE the option on Chandler Parsons, making him a restricted free agent this summer, more cap room for Melo. (Yahoo)

If the Rockets decline Chandler Parsons' player option, there will be a ton of teams interested..makes this summer much more interesting.

Rockets will try to sign Carmelo Anthony or Dirk Nowitzki this summer...and have expressed interest in trading for Kevin love. (via Yahoo)

#3 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 563 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 03, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Chandler Parsons for 12-13 M are you kidding??

Edited by martin90, June 03, 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 03, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Teams would be dumb to give that to Parsons. 

Some guys have a certain box office presence, so their pay is more than on court production/value.

Parsons is respected around NBA circles, but not exactly a famous athlete.

Now he could come here for a couple of years and  dye his hair or get tatted or start making reality tv shows, but not for anything over 8 per

#5 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,247 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 03, 2014 - 07:39 PM

Rockets have a lot of flexibility coming their way if they get someone to take Lin and Asik off their hands. They only count for 8m against the cap so I'd keep Asik if I were the Rockets. Dwight should have a backup big, especially for the playoffs. 

With names they listed it sounds to me like they're looking to add another scorer alongside Dwight and Harden. I wouldn't go that route, everyone knows they can score the basketball with ease. Parsons is the type of guy that I'd want on my team - young, athletic, smart, and not limited either offensively or defensively. I'm not sure why they're so obsessed with adding star power.

Adding Carmelo or Love isn't gonna help Harden's defensive effort anymore than adding Dwight did.

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 09:32 PM

Rockets may look to S&T Parsons in a bigger deal. 

I know the Rockets have been linked to many big names, but Chris Bosh while he has been mentioned, should be seen as a real option for Houston.  Bosh is from Texas and could look to go home this summer and probably would not command the full max. 

Howard/Bosh/Parsons/Harden/Beverly 

Pretty potent lineup if Harden decides to give consistent effort on both ends of the floor. 

#7 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 03, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Smart move.

They can wind up spending less on him matching an offer sheet. Or thy can just let him go. Not integral to what by need to do.

Moving Asik should be first and foremost for them.

#8 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:16 PM

Yep makes sense. Gives them way more options. 

Not sure what this guy is worth. 13 million sounds a little rich for what he can bring but there's a part of me that thinks he can grow into that big of a contract in a year or 2.

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 04, 2014 - 12:00 AM

Yep makes sense. Gives them way more options. 

Not sure what this guy is worth. 13 million sounds a little rich for what he can bring but there's a part of me that thinks he can grow into that big of a contract in a year or 2.

I think 13M sounds like a bit more than a little rich for someone who could be just a really good roleplayer, but for the Rockets he doesn't have to turn into an all-star. I think the Houston situation is interesting and i think both Lin and Asik could be available for next to nothing, so they can sign Melo. Wouldn't mind LA to facilitate that trade.

Of course the Lakers have to offer him a deal just to drive up the price.

#10 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 04, 2014 - 05:23 AM

Wow, when i think of what the rockets looked like in the preseason RIGHT BEFORE they landed Harden, to where they are RIGHT NOW, and what they're building, its mind boggling.

Fans on this board may snipe at Harden and dwight and poke fun that they lost in first round this postseason...but if we could build up as fast and strong as they have i would be THRILLED.

Brilliant.

Time for Rudy T to find his way back there...is he still on our staff somewhere?...Seem to recall seeing him sit near mitch

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#11 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,834 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 04, 2014 - 05:58 PM

bosh plus howard is a LETHAL combo.. anyone remember the explosive Bosh from toronto?

ap1.png

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Wow, when i think of what the rockets looked like in the preseason RIGHT BEFORE they landed Harden, to where they are RIGHT NOW, and what they're building, its mind boggling.

Fans on this board may snipe at Harden and dwight and poke fun that they lost in first round this postseason...but if we could build up as fast and strong as they have i would be THRILLED.

Brilliant.

Time for Rudy T to find his way back there...is he still on our staff somewhere?...Seem to recall seeing him sit near mitch

Fast

That process has taken since Hakeem, we lost in 2011

Lets not get it twisted

We were losing in the first round just last season

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,094 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:25 PM

bosh plus howard is a LETHAL combo.. anyone remember the explosive Bosh from toronto?

Yep, you mean the Bosh everyone wanted as a Laker? 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#14 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,829 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:32 PM

So how does Houston manage to obtain Bosh while keeping Parsons....

Rockets may look to S&T Parsons in a bigger deal. 

I know the Rockets have been linked to many big names, but Chris Bosh while he has been mentioned, should be seen as a real option for Houston.  Bosh is from Texas and could look to go home this summer and probably would not command the full max. 

Howard/Bosh/Parsons/Harden/Beverly 

Pretty potent lineup if Harden decides to give consistent effort on both ends of the floor. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,829 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:32 PM

I think he's still that good but for the sake of his team he's taken a different role

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Explosive Bosh?

I remember Bosh in his prime, was not quite good enough to get to the playoffs in the East. Would get injured quite a bit

I like Bosh, but I thik his best days are behind him for sure

#17 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,829 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 07:48 PM

He was playing 1 on 5?

Explosive Bosh?

I remember Bosh in his prime, was not quite good enough to get to the playoffs in the East. Would get injured quite a bit

I like Bosh, but I thik his best days are behind him for sure

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,489 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 08:00 PM

There was a time where I thought Bosh had surpassed KG, so I get it

but he didnt surpass KG in his prime

in terms of all time rankings, Bosh may be Horace Grant's equal.

He plays his role good enough, but iono...its the eye test. he just suspect

#19 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 04, 2014 - 08:50 PM

There was a time where I thought Bosh had surpassed KG, so I get it

but he didnt surpass KG in his prime

in terms of all time rankings, Bosh may be Horace Grant's equal.

He plays his role good enough, but iono...its the eye test. he just suspect

Closer i'd say to alonzo mourning. Much. 

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#20 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted June 04, 2014 - 09:01 PM

So how does Houston manage to obtain Bosh while keeping Parsons....

Always ways to get things done.

As I said right away in my post, they could look to trade him in a S&T for a star. That's more realistic than having him in a lineup with a third star they bring in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users