#1 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

The Man With Double Picks

• 1,562 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:My Birth
  • Fav. Laker:BlackMamba-Magic-Queensbridge

Posted May 17, 2014 - 01:23 AM

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted in favor of advancing a proposal that could dramatically reshape the way consumers experience the Internet, opening the possibility of Internet service providers charging Web sites for higher-quality delivery of their content to American consumers.

The plan, approved in a three-to-two vote along party lines, could unleash a new economy on the Web where an Internet service provider such as Verizon would charge a Web site such as Netflix for faster video streaming. The proposal would, though, prohibit telecom firms from outright blocking Web sites.

The plan is not a final rule, but the vote on Thursday is a significant step forward on a controversial idea that has invited fierce opposition from consumer advocates, Silicon Valley heavyweights, and Democratic lawmakers. The FCC will now open the proposal to a total 120 days of public comment. Final rules, aimed for the end of the year, could be rewritten after the agency reviews the public comments.

Critics of the plan, as it stands now, worry that it would mark the end of net neutrality, the principle that says that all content online should be treated equally by Internet service providers.

• The FCC voted 3-2 to take the next step toward adopting a new proposal on net neutrality. A public comment period is now open.

• The proposal would leave the door open for companies to strike deals that would prioritize some Internet traffic over others, but any such deal would be subject to scrutiny by the FCC.

• The process isn't over — after the public comment period, the FCC will write a final set of rules and vote on them.

FCC approves plan to consider paid priority on Internet

FCC Advances Contoversial Prposal on Net Neutrality

Obama Backs Away From Net Neutrality Campaign Promises After FCC Vote

This is outrageous.

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:17 AM

This is exactly why I never trusted the FCC to uphold net neutrality from the start. People trusted the FCC to prevent internet fast lanes and what do you know? The FCC is paving the way for internet fast lanes. The government needs to be 100% divorced from regulating the internet, even in the name of net neutrality. More effective solutions are consumer information, education, and voluntary cooperation. That is what has made the internet great.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#3 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

• 1,562 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:35 AM

^ Exactly.

Nobody has the right to regulate the Internet, certainly not the government.

The Internet was born free and will always live free.

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#4 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,208 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:50 AM

I've been keeping a eye on this. Hopefully it doesn't move any further along

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#5 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

• 1,562 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:58 AM

^ It won't if people pay attention to it. Just like SOPA, PIPA and ACTA.

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

#6 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 17, 2014 - 11:05 AM

This is BS. The internet is a public utility.

#7 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted May 17, 2014 - 09:53 PM

^ It won't if people pay attention to it. Just like SOPA, PIPA and ACTA.

https://act.freepres...net_wheeler_nn/

https://act.freepres...et_congress_nn/

The FCC is taking public comments on their proposal.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,712 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I think it won't go through. Pretty much every person who ok's this is committing political suicide. Especially if it creates a noticeable difference in peoples lives. 

#9 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,488 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 12:20 PM

I think it's crazy how they're even thinking siding against what literally everyone in the public wants. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Internet, net neutrality, fcc, priority, FCC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users