Photo

Should the Buss family sell to Magic Johnson?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

• 40,385 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:35 PM

I've never seen anything as inflated as the Clippers 2 billion. The Clippers? Really? I know they are a hot item now but 2 billion for a team with one of the most catastrophic team histories in all pro sports? Really? As if.

Spoiler

yo.

#42 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 1,879 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 31, 2014 - 06:17 AM

Although to be fair, good memories arent always associated with just winning.

Sports has always been about sharing experiences with fathers and sons and fun times with co-wprkers and friends either watching or going.

Winning is great sure. But gathering around a tv set (or tablet i suppose) or going to game has its own rewards.

There are no diehard Clipper fans. There are diehard anti-Laker fans. But no diehard Clips fans. There might be in ten years. If CP3 and Blake go to the finals, there'll be little kids who grow up loving them. But the REAL Laker fans of today were made in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Each generation of success bringing in a new generation of devoted fans. Unless you live in a masochistic sh/thole like Cleveland, genuine fans are made by associating their connection to a team with good memories.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#43 ajaxjs

ajaxjs

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Name:Jack Clifford
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted May 31, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Although to be fair, good memories arent always associated with just winning.

Sports has always been about sharing experiences with fathers and sons and fun times with co-wprkers and friends either watching or going.

Winning is great sure. But gathering around a tv set (or tablet i suppose) or going to game has its own rewards.

The problem with the Clippers, is that they have four types of fans. And I don't intend this just to sh/t on them. I've been to a couple Clippers games myself (although, it was the other team I wanted to see).

Back in 2009, even when the Clippers weren't playing the Lakers, I saw more Laker jerseys in the stands.

But let's be real.

Fan Type #1: They just want to be 'different', or root for an ironic team. The hipster fans. There's lots of kids who are basically ignorant about sports, who'll claim they root for the Clippers just cause most people like the Lakers. These fans barely even watch basketball, let alone comment on forums, but you'll encounter them often in your daily life, around the school, campus or workplace.

Verdict: F/ck these guys.

Fan Type #2: Like a large percentage of the population, they are not native to Los Angeles. They moved here, probably from the East Coast. They're actual basketball fans, and want a team to 'root' for that isn't the Lakers. Their real team is probably the Knicks, Celtics or Heat. But they'll claim to be a Clippers fan, and might even have season tickets (Think Bill Simmons). Few of these guys cared for the Clippers before Blake was drafted and the CP3 trade (which they all cheered for).

Verdict: F/ck these guys too.

Fan Type #3: Bandwagon fans. The Clips have a huge bandwagon, although it's mostly a nascent Fan Type #1s and #2s, you have actual Angelenos in here. Mostly young and dumb. They were Lakers fans circa the 2peat, now they're Clips fan. You'll find a lot of these jackholes on SBnation. They're basically Blake Griffon/CP3/Lob City fans. But they've got added pretentiousness of rooting for an 'underdog'. Ask them who the Clips coach was before Del Negro and expect to see a blank expression. They also recently discovered the Kings and then forgot them again.

Verdict: Really f/ck these guys.

Fan Type #4: I call this fan the 'gandhi'. They root for everyone. They believe in peace, harmony, and just being chill, bro. They like the game, and the sense of community more than any particular team. At their heart, they're probably Laker fans if you put a gun to their head. But they're not quite bandwagon either, cause they were probably rooting for the Clippers beforehand just cause they were an LA team (which IMO, is sort've like rooting for the Anaheim Angels, but whatever).

Verdict: I'm okay with these guys. I pity them, because unlike Justin Bieber, they'll never experience the highs and lows of picking a team to be loyal to.

Ostensibly, there's a legitimate Clippers fan out there, but I've never met one. I think even their bloggers are basically Clipper Darrell-esque self promoters (writing for the Clips cause no one else wanted to).

#44 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 1,879 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:22 AM

Well...clipper games on average have in the past been 1/2-2/3 the price of Laker games. For fans of basketball that cant afford ridiculously priced laker seats theres that.

I remember a few years back the clipper media buy was all about stars from other teams. Not even a clipper in the ads!

And as for whose games have been wildly more entertaining the last 2 years lets just all admit it hasnt been the lakers.

Ive been to both (though a ton more laker games) and i can tell you the crowds at clipper games support their team more.

More cheering, louder, less distracted. Not there to 'be seen'

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

#45 ajaxjs

ajaxjs

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Name:Jack Clifford
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Well...clipper games on average have in the past been 1/2-2/3 the price of Laker games. For fans of basketball that cant afford ridiculously priced laker seats theres that.

I remember a few years back the clipper media buy was all about stars from other teams. Not even a clipper in the ads!

And as for whose games have been wildly more entertaining the last 2 years lets just all admit it hasnt been the lakers.

Ive been to both (though a ton more laker games) and i can tell you the crowds at clipper games support their team more.

More cheering, louder, less distracted. Not there to 'be seen'

It'll be interesting to see if this dynamic persists, given Ballmer thinks he bought the Lakers, and is gonna have to charge Lakers prices.

#46 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2014 - 04:09 PM

It'll be interesting to see if this dynamic persists, given Ballmer thinks he bought the Lakers, and is gonna have to charge Lakers prices.

He isn't going to get his money from selling tickets.  They will sign a monster television deal at some point that will recoup a majority of the money that he spent.

#47 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 03, 2014 - 10:34 AM

http://www.businessi...ltiplier-2014-6

Lakers worth $4.7 billion? 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#48 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,494 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 03, 2014 - 11:33 AM

16 championship is only worth 2 billion more than zero? Fohhhh. We are the most watched team in the NBA

Edited by Ham, June 03, 2014 - 11:33 AM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#49 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,156 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted July 11, 2014 - 10:23 AM

Yes.

#50 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Monogatari

• 8,417 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 10:25 AM

The Guggenheim dudes.

MMiRi9s.png

#51 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,476 posts

Posted July 11, 2014 - 10:28 AM

jimmy kimmel should buy them

bw1wOGf.png

#52 DaveGrumbles

DaveGrumbles

Rookie

• 204 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba, Big Game James

Posted July 11, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Yes. I want the Buss kids to just cash out and let someone competent get ahold of this team. Either that or Jeanie just grow a pair and lose Jimmy.

#53 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,359 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:35 PM

In answer to the topic. Yes. Why not??

#54 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 926 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I just wish Jim would [expletive] off

#55 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 515 posts
  • Name:they call me smoov
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:TBD

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:38 PM

I just wish Jim would [expletive] off

138438-650-366.jpg

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @thisguyhere89

#56 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 434 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:40 PM

I never thought the Buss family should ever sell the Lakers to keep their father's legacy alive but they're destroying everything we love and hold dear to this organization. I believe now more than ever that they should sell this organization to Magic.

#57 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:47 PM

Never sell to Magic.  NEVER.  They can hire a President of Basketball Operations and take a backseat but NEVER, EVER sell the Lakers.

#58 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,734 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 11, 2014 - 06:52 PM

So if Magic owned the Lakers

LeBron would have shunned the Cavs?

Where is melo going?

Didntr Bosh max out instead of play with two All-Stars

Oh Magic would have locked in a team of Thomas and Stephenson for the next four years and if Stephenson  lets the money go to his head, or if little IT gets hurt, we have a long term bad contract on our hands

Too many on hear are concerned with winning the headlines

We didnt get LeBron or Melo

Next year we got 30 million to spend

then an additional 25 the following year

If we dont get Durant, there are other young guys with more to offer thanThomas and Stephenson

#59 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Next year we got 30 million to spend

then an additional 25 the following year

We won't be a free agent haven until we don't have Kobe.  2016, we will likely have players knocking down our door.

#60 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,529 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 12, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Just a little before that they said clippers were worth less than a bill and lakers were barely over a bill. I dont take their value to much heart. 

Edited by bigfetz, July 12, 2014 - 08:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users