Photo

Should the Buss family sell to Magic Johnson?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Magic should never own any sports team.  His ego will kill them like Jerry Jones and my Cowboys...

Edited by GCMD, May 14, 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#22 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,869 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 14, 2014 - 11:56 PM

Yeah his stake in the Dodgers is just destroying them right now. :smh:

Magic does not have the kind of money it takes to ever own a major sports team as a sole owner.

P.S., the Cowboys (overall) have done pretty well under Jerry Jones's tenure.

#23 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,212 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 12:21 AM

Is this a joke?

#24 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,472 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 15, 2014 - 04:48 AM

Ehhh not really...he bought the team in 89 and brought in a great coach and mind Jimmie Johnson who built a superbowl team and then ran him out.  Barry Switzer got 1 SB off of Jimmie's team and after 96 they have been a pretty awful to decent team.  I think 1 playoff victory since 96.  That was 18 years ago.  They haven't done good at all in terms of being the most popular team in football. 

Yeah his stake in the Dodgers is just destroying them right now. :smh:

Magic does not have the kind of money it takes to ever own a major sports team as a sole owner.

P.S., the Cowboys (overall) have done pretty well under Jerry Jones's tenure.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#25 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,555 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Magic was GIVEN 5% of the lakers iirc by Dr. Buss. Magic sold and made millions on it.

Might have been a good business decision to sell to fund some of his other ventures...but he had his small ownership.

Prefer the Buss's keep and figure things out as a family. Not easy. But we are all watching intently

Edited by kball, May 15, 2014 - 05:29 AM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#26 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,880 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:31 AM

It would not make sense to sell a very profitable business to someone else when that business entity is not suffering. 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#27 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,533 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:26 AM

No
We may don't like Jim but I trust the rest of his brothers and sisters
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#28 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,318 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted May 15, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hell No

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#29 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,073 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 30, 2014 - 04:13 AM

$2 billion for the Clippers?

Buss children should sell before the bubble bursts. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#30 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:35 AM

$2 billion for the Clippers?

Buss children should sell before the bubble bursts.

This franchise gonna be worth more than 10 billion if we put it on the market

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#31 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 419 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:38 AM

I've never seen anything as inflated as the Clippers 2 billion. The Clippers? Really? I know they are a hot item now but 2 billion for a team with one of the most catastrophic team histories in all pro sports? Really? As if.

#32 Julien

Julien

Rookie

• 1,217 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:01 AM

I've never seen anything as inflated as the Clippers 2 billion. The Clippers? Really? I know they are a hot item now but 2 billion for a team with one of the most catastrophic team histories in all pro sports? Really? As if.

The best season of their history is a 2nd round exit.
How much for a franchise which is I think the best world wide brand in sports?

#33 ajaxjs

ajaxjs

Rookie

• 211 posts
  • Name:Jack Clifford
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:44 AM

At least we know how out of touch Steve Ballmer is with the LA Sports Scene.

How much of that perceived 2 billion value is tied up in CP3, Blake and Doc Rivers do you think? 

The Clips are gonna have to get some great new TV deal and hope that they can demand what the Dodgers can't in SoCal.

As for Magic...He's a great face man, and a great promoter. He was seemingly born to serve as a stalking horse to financial groups with more money than a James Bond villain. 

#34 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 419 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted May 30, 2014 - 08:49 AM

The best season of their history is a 2nd round exit.

How much for a franchise which is I think the best world wide brand in sports?

Based upon the idiotic price of the Clippers upwards of 25B for the Lakers. ;)

#35 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 30, 2014 - 09:02 AM

'Clippy' is going to be the new team mascot. 

#36 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,222 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 11:19 AM

I am sure the thought of selling the team had popped up for the Buss after the record sale of the Clippers. They know the Lakers can go much, much more than the Clippers. I am not suggesting they sell nor saying they are, but I am positive the idea has popped around the family.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#37 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,317 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 30, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Lets be honest here. Buss family will never sell this franchise.

This.

I mean maybe the other 3 or 4 useless Buss children might want to sell since it doesnt seem like they are that much involved in the team but I doubt the Buss will sell.  Besides, they only own 66% of the team anyway. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#38 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,555 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 30, 2014 - 01:05 PM

At least we know how out of touch Steve Ballmer is with the LA Sports Scene.

How much of that perceived 2 billion value is tied up in CP3, Blake and Doc Rivers do you think? 

The Clips are gonna have to get some great new TV deal and hope that they can demand what the Dodgers can't in SoCal.

As for Magic...He's a great face man, and a great promoter. He was seemingly born to serve as a stalking horse to financial groups with more money than a James Bond villain. 

I find it amusing he wants in for that price...perhaps even insane.

I'm starting to think all current owners may be considering using racial slurs, gay slurs, religious slurs, etc to profit nicely!

Also interesting Ballmer wants in on the same game former msft cofounder Paul Allen competes in.

As Allen owns the Blazers and Seahawks.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#39 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,073 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 30, 2014 - 05:05 PM

This.

I mean maybe the other 3 or 4 useless Buss children might want to sell since it doesnt seem like they are that much involved in the team but I doubt the Buss will sell.  Besides, they only own 66% of the team anyway. 

That's even better. Anschutz could buy out their 66% for the same $2 billion Ballmer paid for the entire Clippers franchise. He'd have controlling interest. Jeannie and Jim might even keep a small percentage and maintain jobs within the organization. Jim's just needs to be lower profile.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#40 ajaxjs

ajaxjs

Rookie

• 211 posts
  • Name:Jack Clifford
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I find it amusing he wants in for that price...perhaps even insane.

I'm starting to think all current owners may be considering using racial slurs, gay slurs, religious slurs, etc to profit nicely!

Also interesting Ballmer wants in on the same game former msft cofounder Paul Allen competes in.

As Allen owns the Blazers and Seahawks.

It honestly is insane. Nate Silver put the Clippers value at about a billion, with the Lakers at around ~2 billion, and the Knicks at like ~2.5 billion. That felt right to me in a world where the Milwaukee Bucks are going for upwards of ~565 million.

Ballmer has given 2 billion for a team that doesn't even have their own arena, or a banner to hang in one if they did. A team whose sole reason for existing as more than a punchline, is because Stern nixed CP3's trade to the Lakers.

There are no diehard Clipper fans. There are diehard anti-Laker fans. But no diehard Clips fans. There might be in ten years. If CP3 and Blake go to the finals, there'll be little kids who grow up loving them. But the REAL Laker fans of today were made in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Each generation of success bringing in a new generation of devoted fans. Unless you live in a masochistic sh/thole like Cleveland, genuine fans are made by associating their connection to a team with good memories.

The only way Ballmer makes money on a 2 billion Clippers deal, is if they start busting out championships like the Miami Heat, which somehow facilitates them raising ticket prices and tv rights. Otherwise, he's due for a rude awakening. There's precious few people in this town who are gonna spend real money on the Clips. Or lead the kind of revolt that got the Lakers tv deal crammed down the throats of local broadcasters. Billy Crystal, Bill Simmons, Justin Bieber and Clipper Darrel aside. There's only so much most people will invest in the luxury of being ironic. 

Edited by ajaxjs, May 30, 2014 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users