Photo

Should the Buss family sell to Magic Johnson?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,975 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:10 PM

I get concerned at the thought of Magic and his group owning the Clippers.

Should the Buss family court Magic into a stronger ownership stake (than what he had previously), with an ultimate plan to sell out to him, or should they welcome him into the building as Clippers owner?

The thought of Magic owning the Clippers makes me shudder.  They are already more talented, and the league has more competitive balance.  They don't have the history, or the volume of revenue streams, but it's not like the blue print isn't there for how to generate money with an NBA team in LA.

The toughest part might be the fact that Magic knows the Clippers are cheaper.  If the Clippers sell for $1 billion, what are the Lakers worth?  $2.5 billion?  $3 billion?

I'm not sure he would want to buy the Lakers if he can get the Clippers for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Edited by UKUGA, May 14, 2014 - 01:11 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:19 PM

Magic never met a Camera he didn't like...

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#3 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,626 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:30 PM

I don't see the Clippers being sold for at least a few years. I'll be shocked if Sterling doesn't take it to court and fight it for some time. Regardless of if you think he has the right to keep it or not I just don't see him not fighting and this being a sticky mess for a while. 

Could be completely wrong though.

Also....no I don't think they need to sell it to Magic. If we continue to suck after the next couple of years then I hope Jim Buss sticks to his word, steps down and lets someone else manage basketball operations but that wouldn't require new ownership.

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,230 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:39 PM

Lets be honest here. Buss family will never sell this franchise.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,506 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:40 PM

I get concerned at the thought of Magic and his group owning the Clippers.

Should the Buss family court Magic into a stronger ownership stake (than what he had previously), with an ultimate plan to sell out to him, or should they welcome him into the building as Clippers owner?

The thought of Magic owning the Clippers makes me shudder.  They are already more talented, and the league has more competitive balance.  They don't have the history, or the volume of revenue streams, but it's not like the blue print isn't there for how to generate money with an NBA team in LA.

The toughest part might be the fact that Magic knows the Clippers are cheaper.  If the Clippers sell for $1 billion, what are the Lakers worth?  $2.5 billion?  $3 billion?

I'm not sure he would want to buy the Lakers if he can get the Clippers for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

No

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#6 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,174 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 01:59 PM

Magic has said that he's not interested in the Clippers. He wants the Lakers. He tried to buy them last month, but the Buss family did not even allow negotiations. They are not selling the team unless there is a big family feud between them.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#7 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,975 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 02:02 PM

http://sports.yahoo....-055549095.html

Sterling could go on and on, and he will again. For all the apologies the NBA wants to give Magic Johnson, many within the league believe they know how Silver and the owners will ultimately make this right: awarding Magic and his ownership group's bid the franchise.

The league can transform a pariah brand name into a magnificent monolith. Magic's partners with the Los Angeles Dodgers are motivated to meet the billion-dollar-plus asking price, and perhaps go even higher.

View gallery

201405111942709270137-p5.jpg

NBA commissioner Adam Silver (left) spoke with Magic Johnson at Sunday's Clippers game. (AP)

Beyond Sterling's general ignorance and insanity, Johnson's desire to purchase the Clippers is partly Sterling's motivation to keep assailing him. Privately, he believes the endgame for the NBA will be to make him sell to Magic, that the fix is in.

Magic has said that he's not interested in the Clippers. He wants the Lakers. He tried to buy them last month, but the Buss family did not even allow negotiations. They are not selling the team unless there is a big family feud between them.

Edited by UKUGA, May 14, 2014 - 02:06 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#8 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 815 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 14, 2014 - 02:06 PM

i don't really care about magic to be honest
if he does end up buying the clippers then he'll just make himself look bad 

but doesn't affect anything the lakers do in the future

#9 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted May 14, 2014 - 02:13 PM

Pretty much, it is like holding any stupid decision MJ ever makes as a GM or owner with the Bobcats against the Bulls.

#10 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,811 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 14, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Well, Magic should be keeping busy with the Dodgers. It'll be impossible to manage a successful Los Angeles baseball and basketball team at the same time. Unless he was fully committed to the Lakers, I wouldn't want him here with much power. He already owned part of the Lakers before, he should've kept that and asked for more when Dr. Buss passed. I'm sure Jeanie would've made some arrangement for him if he hadn't chose to blabber his mouth about the franchise so much.

A more interesting question to me is whether Kobe will try to become part owner of the team when he retires. I feel like he will own a part like Magic did eventually, not given any real power for decisions.

#11 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted May 14, 2014 - 02:40 PM

Magic and Doc Rivers as the face of the Clippers is scary, as a Lakers fan.  You all can have your opinion of him, but he and Doc would be a huge draw to FAs, the likes of which the league has not seen before.  Why did Chris Paul re-sign?  Rivers  Who attracted Davis, Granger, Collison, Crawford and others?  Rivers and Paul.  Magic will only make them more attractive.

And it most certainly will affect the Lakers, dont kid yourself. 

Debbie Downer

#12 lakersp4p

lakersp4p

Rookie

• 815 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 14, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Magic and Doc Rivers as the face of the Clippers is scary, as a Lakers fan.  You all can have your opinion of him, but he and Doc would be a huge draw to FAs, the likes of which the league has not seen before.  Why did Chris Paul re-sign?  Rivers  Who attracted Davis, Granger, Collison, Crawford and others?  Rivers and Paul.  Magic will only make them more attractive.

And it most certainly will affect the Lakers, dont kid yourself. 

why would i be kidding myself?

u just said i can have my opinion of him 
which is not hate at all

thats what i believe in, no need to act tough there bud

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,537 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Wouldn't mind him owning part of the team again but not all of it

#14 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,632 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:19 PM

If the Buss' ever think about selling the Lakers, I would to see Magic own it.

#15 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:54 PM

I would absolutely love to see the Guggenheim group take majority ownership.  You can have the Buss family involved, but selling 51% to the Guggenheim group would be nothing but a positive.

You all do know that Magic has a small stake in the ownership of the Dodgers.  He is more the face of the organization that owns more than anything else.  He also has zero to do with the day to day or personnel management of the team.  Basically, he's the spokesperson for ownership, nothing more.  He can do the same for the Lakers.

Kobe owning a part of the Lakers is highly unlikely.  The more likely scenario would be Kobe purchasing an international soccer team or an MLS team.

#16 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,975 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Magic owns 2.3% of the Dodgers.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#17 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 886 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:43 PM

Magic won't buy the Clippers.

I think Magic/Kobe should buy a decent portion of the team. But neither can handle GM duties.

Make Steve Nash the GM when Mitch hangs it up.

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,094 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Magic won't buy the Clippers.

I think Magic/Kobe should buy a decent portion of the team. But neither can handle GM duties.

:smh: 

#19 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,506 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:37 PM

by that time hopefully if Mitch is still fully healthy as he can be Mitch's son will be old enough. 

Edited by Majesty, May 14, 2014 - 08:38 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#20 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I don't really care either way if it wouldn't change basketball operations. If it would cause the Lakers to be run like the Dodgers though, I wouldn't want it. The Lakers don't have a good front office right now anyway, but still.

And, getting the team in the right direction is far more important than having somebody popular as the face of the team. The Lakers will have no trouble drawing FAs whenever they have the right basketball situation again.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users