Photo

Do you rather shop online or in stores? This article might surprised you.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Online shopping or brick & mordar? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer to shop online or in stores?

1. Voted online (9 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. in stores (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. i hate shopping period (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,035 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:11 AM

In my marketing class, we did a study of how retail stores and malls have been changing throughout the years. Some said malls and retail stores will be obsolete in the near future due to the internet age and smartphones. Some said it is due to the fact that young people are so technical savy while living in a fast pace society that at times shopping online is much faster and easier then having to go to a store to search for items you wanted. But is that true? Will spending time with your friends or family doing window shopping at a store be gone within 10 years? Will walking down a mom and pop store be ancient history? This article shows that contrary to popular belief, young people actually rather shop in retail stores than online.

http://www.webpronew...-online-2012-01

I don't know about you guys but I am kind of old school in terms of buying things. I do buy stuff on ebay and amazon but I rarely. I am not much of a shopper so when I need something I just want to have it right away. I hate having to wait for my product in the mail and pay that extra shipping and handling crap. All I do is just go to a retail store and pick it up. I look on craiglist before I look on ebay because I prefer the personal interaction with people instead of wondering if that guy will screw me on ebay by not sending me the item. So I am in that catagory of loving to go to a retail stores and buy things. And I don't need to go to a store and try on clothes. I know my size so I just go in and pick it out. But I'm old school like that. How about you guys?

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 773 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:27 AM

I only buy online if an item is not available in my area. But I don't think physical shops become obsolete, as that will have an effect of on a town/city's economy and that will greatly affect businesses (online businesses).

#3 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,766 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:43 AM

I am a hybrid. I usually purchase books and electronics online. Otherwise, I will shop around locally to support small businesses and enjoy fine dining.

I do think that more shopping will be done online in a decade, however. I've still been philosophizing on how 3D printers, as they become more abundant and improve, will affect consumerism and social interaction. There may very well be online stores that sale 3D digital files with a DRM, so that you can only print said file X amount of times. Purchase the object, download it, print it. You avoid shipping costs or having to go out and get it yourself. In addition, businesses will save on costs as well.

Still, I think a sound market will always require physical interaction of some sort within certain sectors. I don't think face-to-face interactions will ever be abolished, but they may decrease as the power of technology increases.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,987 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:39 AM

I actually thought older people were the ones more inclined to online shopping, saves time, money, less hassle and so on. Mall shopping was and is more of an experience towards younger people, not to be cliche but you go to a mall, the demographics speak for themselves more times than not.

Plus the kind of shopper, I never liked window shopping, if I went to a mall it was because I was going directly to Foot Locker, Sports Academy, Macy's or whatever and knew what I was going to buy or at least what to look for.

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,035 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:01 PM

Bestbuy lost quite a bit of money because many people would go to the store to window shop and head home to buy it online.  I accidently voted wrong. I supposed to vote for me wanting to go to the store more. I am in the minority. I enjoy going to a target or wallmart or gamestop or malls whenever i want to buy stuff. I like the interpersonal interactions. Today's generation it seems like they dont know how to interact with people anymore in person.  THe more social media online we have, the less people know how to act socially in real life.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#6 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,398 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:42 PM

I shop for clothes in stores. Everything else I buy online.

#7 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,323 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:55 PM

Online. If there's something I want or need, i'll search the web to find the best deals & see if there's any coupons I can use. If I buy something in store, it's usually on my lunch break & I need to kill some time.

veqdeg.jpg

#8 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,462 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:55 PM

if i can find it online, i'll buy for it online

bw1wOGf.png

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,471 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 05, 2014 - 01:50 PM

I tend to find amazon is cheaper than anything in stores. Especially if you get free 2 day shipping. 

#10 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,503 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 05, 2014 - 02:37 PM

i basically get everything but clothes, beer, liquor and groceries from amazon...

trying to think of something else, but drawing a blank

Posted Image

#11 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,020 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 03:18 PM

I buy everything from Amazon. I don't buy suits, ties, and some clothes though. I am 50/50 on clothes. However, this does not mean I do not like going to the mall and look around. I like walking around the outlet and just browse around.When Amazon Fresh rolls out in my city, I will give it a try and see if I should do my grocery shopping online as well.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#12 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,662 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted May 05, 2014 - 09:12 PM

I buy online because it's all tax free.

#13 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 05, 2014 - 11:01 PM

I'm a mix. Generally I will buy stuff online if I cant find it around me. 

I like going to stores, though. Even if I don't have money it's fun for me to just look at stuff and maybe find something new I want and have a goal to work towards getting it. Plus it's nice to get out of the house.

#14 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,020 posts

Posted May 06, 2014 - 04:34 PM

I buy online because it's all tax free.

That may very well change soon.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users