Photo

Carmelo Anthony Signs with New York Knicks

• Please log in to reply
5857 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Los Angeles Lakers are planning on signing Carmelo Anthony and trading for Kevin Love this off-season

So what does D'Antoni's departure mean for the Lakers? It could mean that Pau Gasol opts to return instead of signing elsewhere in free agency. Gasol is one of the more marquee players set to hit the market this offseason. The Lakers have come out and said keeping the forward/center was a team priority, but D'Antoni complicated that.

It was well documented that Gasol and D'Antoni were not the best of friends. The veteran criticized the head coach's game plans and D'Antoni in return criticized the forward for speaking out on team matters. Gasol has said that the fate of D'Antoni would not impact his free agency decisions, but it is assumed Gasol is watching what moves the team makes in regards to the coach. The Los Angeles Daily News is reporting that Gasol is open to returning to the Lakers, but only if D'Antoni is fired, so now the Lakers may get their wish of keeping the veteran around.

Kobe Bryant is also hoping that his long-time teammate returns to the Lakers.

The veteran has said he will not be active in recruiting free agents this offseason, but publically stated his wish that Gasol re-sign with the team instead of heading elsewhere. Along with Gasol, Carmelo Anthony is the team's top free agent target. Placing him with Bryant and Steve Nash (if he returns) is an ideal Lakers set up. The team is also planning on chasing a trade for Kevin Love in the offseason as well.

http://www.sportswor...rities-2014.htm

Also

Lakers Rumors: Tom Thibodeau, Carmelo Anthony Both Headed To Los Angeles?: The Los Angeles Lakers li... http://bit.ly/ReFagd 

Well we knew about the possibility of Thibs so I'll just address the Lakers off-season plan..

*ahem*... WHAT!?!?!?? O_O But but but... how??? 

I guess that could happen if we traded our pick but..it.. alright.. thoughts? 

Edited by Game, July 13, 2014 - 10:18 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:33 PM

Eh its the Lakers, although I do find it interesting how the Chi fan base in large part has begun turning on Thibs, mostly for wearing down key players, small inconsistent rotations, especially in stretch amounts and playoffs, and so on. Fine to bring him and instill his philosophy and gameplan, him alone would be a big enough splash to appease a large chunk of the fan base. I'd rather keep the pick and gamble that Love will be coming here, same for Melo even more so given his mileage.

Edited by Ven, May 04, 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#3 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,903 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I was actually thinking of this today.

I think the Lakers will go for another home run this off-season and try to acquire both Anthony and Love. It's possible via several CBA loopholes.

With Thibs coaching and a somewhat capable defensive center, I think that team competes for a title out of the gate.
iyjywo.jpg

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:38 PM

One would figure that if the Lakers are indeed targeting both Melo and Love this off-season that it would explain wholeheartedly why they want to make a bid for Thibodeau.

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:43 PM

It all matters on what happens with the lottery

But melo and love would be nice
Resign pau and hill

Nash/marshal
Kobe
Melo
Love
Pau/hill

That's a start...
Would minny really give up kevin love for a pick?
How bad would the lakers be on defense? Even with thibbs?

The decks are cleared. Stuff has to happen. Pau coming back? Is it the right move? He seemed damaged even before dantonie... Before mike brown... He seemed out of it even with Phil

Lottery is the first chip to fall
What spot do the lakers fall

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 09:51 PM

My guess is that if they indeed brought Pau back under this scenario he wouldn't be back here for very long and would be a trade chip. 

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#7 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:05 PM

^Yeah, for sure. But how the hell are we gonna keep Pau AND receive Love?

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:06 PM

This sounds interesting and i think a Kobe, Melo, Love trio would be completely devastating offensively.

I'm not sold on these guys actually pulling such a trade off and i'm not sure how they're going to be able to defend anyone either.

I suppose that they could add Melo this summer along with a few cheap role-playing defenders and then hope they can move whoever they draft (and Nash as a filler) for Kevin Love during the season.

#9 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,225 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Whos going to get melo and love the ball tho? Nash sure as hell isn't. He can barely stay healthy.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Whos going to get melo and love the ball tho? Nash sure as hell isn't. He can barely stay healthy.

I would guess Marshall or Kobe. 

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Kobe, Melo, Love, Gasol and Nash, on our roster for next season, is impossible unless Love and Melo take $12 million each, and Gasol takes vet's minimum. Won't happen.

I just hope we don't chase Melo, even though I have a gut feeling we'll land him instead of LeBron (who will go back to Cleveland).  I seriously doubt Anthony ends up in Miami, because they can't afford another Big Three.  Bosh will take the money (probably Houston), Wade will stay loyal, and if Ray Allen doesn't retire, he'll follow LeBron to Cleveland.

#12 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,225 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Majesty you really think Kobe can be a point guard for a whole season?? I believe he can. But I don't believe he should. Too damn physically demanding. I'd rather pick up Steve Blake again. He and Kobe play well together. And he isn't god awful on defense

#13 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,046 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:20 PM

Im surprised 12 posts and no one mentioned that this team would suck defensively ..

Kobe , Melo , Love pau and Nash ???? Thats impossible. That would be the worst line-up defensively of all time ..

Acquiring melo and love is flat out stupid ..

#14 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Lol this news isn't legit look at the source.  Sports World Report? Really LMFAO. How in the hell would Lakers even get Thibs without trading their 1st rd pick yet obtain Love, sign Melo to a max deal, and bring back Gasol?

Posted Image

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:23 PM

Im surprised 12 posts and no one mentioned that this team would suck defensively ..

That's really the biggest glaring weakness, but it's hard to really discuss something that is THIS unrealistic.

Now, getting one OR the other (Love or Melo) wouldn't surprise me, but even without those guys, we are still going to be a poor defensive team. It takes more than just a defensive player or two in order to construct a strong system. See Phoenix, with Raja Bell and Shawn Marion.

#16 wvlaker

wvlaker

Rookie

• 102 posts
  • Fan Since:8 years old

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:26 PM

When it comes to the PG role much will depend on our coach and style of offense, but I have a feeling we won't be running a style dependent on a single guy distributing the ball. If we see any combo of Love/Melo/Kobe/Gasol we will almost certainly run much of our offensive out of the post. I'm more concerned with our ability to guard the PG position rather than who will run it.

hey 

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:26 PM

It would take a defensive coach as well as a defensive center in order to make that work defensively.  You would also need your defense at the 1 position.  

So basically to keep that team from getting torn asunder on the defensive end every night they'd need defense at the 1, the 5 and with a coach that is very adept at coaching defense. 

But Real Deal is correct there is no way we could bring in all 4 of them. 

Now is it possible that we could re-sign Gasol and then make him part of the trade to Minnesota for Kevin Love?  Yes that is a possibility.   

Minnesota just lost their coach so going after Love is a possibility if we're trying to do it via trade.    

It would take Carmelo signing for 15m at most though and it would be a difficult scenario.   It would also take us moving Nash. 

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#18 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:27 PM

Perfectly fine with all 3 moves.

It's what I was thinking as well.  Get the 6th pick, trade it and Nash (rough to do, but I trust Mitch's sales jobs) to the Wolves for Love and their pick, sign Carmelo, use Minnesota's pick to get Payne, sign Gasol to a small two year deal, fill the roster gaps from there.  And hell yes, it would be great  to have a defensive anchor in there. Maybe they're hoping paint defense by committee, considering there is no premiere paint defender out there at the moment.

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:33 PM

If we're looking at having 26 million in cap space with which we do have this off-season.   If Carmelo signed for 15 million of that it would leave us with 11 million.   

Love's contract is 14 million.  So yes it is possible for us to acquire Love in a trade in that scenario if you're sending a re-signed Gasol to Minnesota along with the draft pick for Love and the Wolves draft pick. Then yes that would happen. 

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:36 PM

Rest assured if Gordon is the only of the big 6 on the board at the time we get our pick that the Lakers WILL do this.  If Embiid, Wiggins, Randle, Smart, Exum and Parker are off the board by the time the Lakers pick comes up don't be surprised if they try to do just that.  

It also shows that the Lakers are more willing to gamble their pick on Kevin Love than on Kyrie irving.. which could speak volumes.   Love no longer having a coach may have something to do with that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users