• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,620 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 29, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Jay Z’s Made in America is officially coming to Los Angeles.

The rap mogul, along with Mayor Eric Garcetti, Budweiser and United Way, announced that the festival will take over downtown’s Grand Park and surrounding areas in front of and around City Hall over Labor Day weekend (Aug. 30-31).

“Two years ago, this was a dream,” Jay Z said from the steps of City Hall early Wednesday. "I had a vision of putting together a festival that blurred those lines of genres."

Staged at the same time as the one in Philadelphia -- it will have its third run this year-- the two-day Budweiser Made in America festival is expected to attract 50,000 festivalgoers to Grand Park.

Last year’s Made in America drew 60,000 fans each day to Philadelphia’s historic Benjamin Franklin Parkway for a lineup, curated by Jay Z, that included his superstar wife, Beyoncé, along with Deadmau5, Kendrick Lamar, Miguel, Nine Inch Nails, Phoenix, Public Enemy, Queens of the Stone Age, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Calvin Harris.

No lineup was announced durng Wednesday's reveal, but Jay Z typically curates nonstop performers across the spectrum of pop, soul, rock, hip-hop and electronic music.

"We're going to celebrate our golden state of mind," Garcetti said. "L.A. is the world's music capital ... the music industry has helped build this city, and the creative sector is essential to our economy."

Bookended by the Los Angeles Music Center and City Hall, Grand Park -- with its lush grounds, interactive fountain plaza and eye-popping bright pink seating -- has yet to welcome an event of this magnitude.

With just a dozen acres of space, it's not even half the size of the sprawling 32-acre cornfield of Los Angeles State Historic Park, which has housed big draws like the Hard festivals, FYF Fest and H20 Fest but is out of commission for the next year while it’s being renovated.

The rap mogul said his reason for placing the festival in the middle of the city "and not far away" is so that it can be more inclusive for concertgoers. "Look at how beautiful Grand Park is," he said.

Made in America's placement at Grand Park and the surrounding, bustling areas in front of and around City Hall caused concern from Councilman Jose Huizar, whose district includes the park and who had previously requested city services not issue any permits for Made in America until it could be properly vetted. 

In a motion, obtained by The Times, Huizar noted that the festival would require street closures in the area around Grand Park for as many as 10 days.

This would include partial and full closures on major downtown arteries including Main Street, Spring Street, Hill Street, Grand Avenue, Broadway, 1st Street, 2nd Street and Temple Street.

"L.A. has 99 problems, but Jay Z and Budweiser Made in America ain't one," Supervisor Gloria Molina said, acknowledging some of the opposition from the City Council.

http://www.latimes.c...y#ixzz30Jp9ZPK7

I've already bought my ticket to the event. Anyone else thinking of going? I kind of like the idea of the East and West coast having separate festivals at the same time. I'd assume Kendrick will return, one of the main reasons I'm going. I'm sure Em will be at the Philly fest.

#2 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,433 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:08 PM

I've been contemplating buying a ticket purely because of last year's lineup. Haven't done so yet though.

#3 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,722 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:21 PM

How much did they run for, $300?

2div

#4 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,620 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Tickets started at 115, now they're around 230 I believe.

Once the lineup releases and they sell out guys on stub hub should price them from 350+ depending on who's performing

#5 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,034 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 29, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Went to this in Philadelphia last year, it was pretty fun and a solid lineup of artists. Last year they released the lineup before tickets went on sale though, so that was a bit strange of them this year. 

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,620 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 05:14 PM

Went to this in Philadelphia last year, it was pretty fun and a solid lineup of artists. Last year they released the lineup before tickets went on sale though, so that was a bit strange of them this year.

I'm used to them not releasing the lineups cause that's what most EDM events do. They try to sell as much as they can off promotion alone then try to sell out once the lineup is released, at a high price of course.

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,620 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Screen-Shot-2014-05-22-at-4.01.17-PM.png

#8 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,110 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:05 PM

My friend just posted a screen shot of the confirmation email on IG.

2 tix for $345.

#9 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,433 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 06:08 PM

Kind of disappointed. Feel like the lineup from the previous one was much stronger.

#10 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,806 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 31, 2014 - 06:16 PM

Philly got the better lineup :cool2:

As far as prices go kids at my college are selling them around 125+ not bad at all. Might pick one up.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, May 31, 2014 - 06:17 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users