Photo

Lakers In Top 5 Of Viewership For Nationally Televised NBA Games Although Ratings Down Overall, 2013-14 Season

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 01:42 AM

http://www.sportsmed...-in-top-five/2/

Viewership For Nationally Televised NBA Games, 2013-14 Season

Ranked top to bottom

(see full list inside link)

2536879c_o.png
fd3fc625_o.png

NBA Regular Season Wrap: Multi-Year Lows For NBA TV Partners

This season ranks as the lowest rated (tie) and least-viewed on ABC since 2007-08 (2.2, 3.2M). Keep in mind nine of ABC’s fifteen regular season telecasts featured lottery teams (the Lakers and Knicks).

The fading fortunes of the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks no doubt affected the numbers. TNT’s games declined by 42% in Boston this season, 19% in New York and 13% in Los Angeles.

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,553 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 20, 2014 - 01:52 AM

Like I said in the draft pick thread.  Ratings have been going very low as of lately.  

But the fact the Lakers are in top 5 viewership with no Kobe playing says something. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,396 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:08 AM

Like I said in the draft pick thread. Ratings have been going very low as of lately.

But the fact the Lakers are in top 5 viewership with no Kobe playing says something.

I will tell you what it says to me... The NBA needs the Lakers. And that's the bottom line, because the viewership says so.
Posted Image

#4 L4K

L4K

Rookie

• 843 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:42 AM

Only a 13% decrease in a season where Kobe barely played and the Lakers set a personal best in futility? Yep, people love watching this team, whether it's to see them succeed or fail.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:54 AM

Only a 13% decrease in a season where Kobe barely played and the Lakers set a personal best in futility? Yep, people love watching this team, whether it's to see them succeed or fail.

Blessing and curse. 

Can only imagine what the ratings would have been in the last 3 finals of CP3/Kobe vs Miami's Big 3.  

But oh well, Stern basketball reasonsed it and sent the league ratings and downhill spiral with the only story remaining (LeBron can't win his championship!) then when he did it was sort of.. ah.. oh well he won it... so...um...what now??? 

Even last year all the attention was on what the Lakers did and didn't do and not on Miami at all.  This year the attention was on the Lakers as well all of the year even on National TV when they blew out teams or got blown out it was always prime time. 

NBA would faaaade in a terrible way if the Lakers went through a 3-4 year non-contending streak.  

Strictly because there is no other story. 

Why did the league stay afloat during the 90-98 drout by the Lakers?  Because of the Bulls and Michael Jordan.  Why else do you think right after he retired the Lakers went and got Phil and Rodman and since that point it's been carried by the Lakers and the Spurs with one in between for the past decade.  They wanted LeBron to be the "Jordan" and ignore that Kobe exists but he can't carry the league, only if he was facing Kobe and their rivalry keep the league afloat.  But Stern had a brain cramp that made him think "small market teams" would be a box office smash and that the Lakers and CP3 would have been bad for business of the league.  It would have revitalized it.  But that was his mistake and gamble.   

Not the case.  There's Durant.. and that's it and this Pacers vs Heat rivalry has fallen flat on it's face with the Pacers 2nd half of the season stretch.  Stern & Silver better hope with all their being that either the Lakers get a team that's going to net LeBron James in a Finals against him.. OR they had better hope LeBron himself becomes a Laker.  Because I guarantee you if THAT happens...ratings WILL skyrocket spike again for the next 2 seasons on that story and scenario alone.   

Especially in a rivalry with the Rockets should they get Carmelo.  

Though the NBA would likely prefer that the Bulls get Carmelo to inject more life into the East.  They likely also hope that Jabari winds up with Boston and Wiggins winds up with Philly to bring some more life into the east.   If the NBA had it's way they'd have Exum go to the Lakers and start expanding the NBA's brand in Australia with the box office and exposure of Los Angeles and hope Exum becomes a star.   That LeBron would join the Lakers and it cause that media hype and firestorm over the next 2 years(and last 2 years of Kobe's career).

That Carmelo would go to the Bulls to team with Derrick Rose to rival the Pacers, that Wiggins goes and builds that young Nucleus in Philly with Noel and MCW to become a scary team in a few years + another pick for them and that Jabari would go to the Celtics and become their Paul Pierce and start building something with Rondo. 

Embiid in their best case imo would wind up in Milwaukee which they are gonna start pushing as it's just been bought but they'd need more than just him there and he'd need to pan out and Smart would wind up in Orlando and start learning from Nelson and building a scary defensive duo with himself and Oladipo. 

Edited by Majesty, April 20, 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#6 L4K

L4K

Rookie

• 843 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:07 AM

That CP3 veto definitely hurt ratings the next season. We won't ever know if that Lakers team gets to the Finals but they're damn sure going to be in the playoffs. Instead, they squeaked in for some first round exits and now the Clippers are the supposed hot ticket but nobody outside of LA cares about the Clippers, and most people outside of the US have never heard of them. The Lakers though, you don't even need to know or care about basketball to know who the Lakers are. Same can be said for the Yankees.

A lot of the big stars being in small markets may be well and good for league parity and competition but when it comes to ratings and the league trying to overtake the NFL in terms of popularity (which I think will happen one day, especially with the global appeal of basketball) those big players need to be in big markets, simple as that. 

I would absolutely love for Exum to be on the Lakers and start seeing the sport increase in popularity here. There's an Australian basketball league, the NBL, but the biggest player currently is Sam Young. Yes, that Sam Young. Bogut is a solid player but he can't really have the impact that an explosive and dynamic player like Exum, assuming he grows into a great player, would. People love seeing flashy passes and dunks and if Exum is able to provide the cosmetic things as well as grow into an All-Star, there's going to be a lot of attention here following him. If LeBron decided he wanted to play in LA as well then all of a sudden we're looking at a team with Kobe/LeBron/Exum and championship aspirations. That's one hell of a way to get a ratings spike next season with people tuning in to watch that team, regardless of who else is on it. Of course, for that to happen we're going to at least need the 3rd selection in the draft and assume that Mitch and Co prefer Exum to Embiid (assuming Wiggins and Parker go 1 and 2). May 20 is going to be an incredibly tense day for Lakers fans, that's for damn sure.

#7 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted April 20, 2014 - 11:50 AM

Overall the NBA and Silver have to be a little concerned about this trend, it isn't even about conspiracy just business, you need your marquee franchises relevant. Even if the Lakers were contender as a whole the NBA is still currently a bad product and wouldn't have great ratings.

#8 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,109 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 20, 2014 - 12:13 PM

One year doesn't make it a trend.  NY for years SUCKED and Boston for years up to the big 3 were a sometimes decent to trash team.  I don't think the NBA is a bad product I just don't think it's as popular as the other major sports in the US.  Football as an event is just more exciting and also less exhausted over the course of a season. 

The real ratings that should be looked at are the big game matchups.  Are people watching those is the real question.  Are fans watching OKC vs Miami, any top WC matchup is what they should be concerned about.  Can't blame fans for not watching teams when the stars or hurt or the team is royally jacked at the time.

Overall the NBA and Silver have to be a little concerned about this trend, it isn't even about conspiracy just business, you need your marquee franchises relevant. Even if the Lakers were contender as a whole the NBA is still currently a bad product and wouldn't have great ratings.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#9 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 12:26 PM

One year doesn't make it a trend.  NY for years SUCKED and Boston for years up to the big 3 were a sometimes decent to trash team.  I don't think the NBA is a bad product I just don't think it's as popular as the other major sports in the US.  Football as an event is just more exciting and also less exhausted over the course of a season. 

The real ratings that should be looked at are the big game matchups.  Are people watching those is the real question.  Are fans watching OKC vs Miami, any top WC matchup is what they should be concerned about.  Can't blame fans for not watching teams when the stars or hurt or the team is royally jacked at the time.

Wasn't trying to make it sound like it was a downward spiral but Nielsen ratings (however much stock you want to put in them) have been showing a slight decrease every year, playoffs too. The NBA will never be like the NFL, probably not even the MLB until it gets the courage to remove all the filler in the regular season and playoffs.

nbaatasgbreak.gif

The fact that the potential Finals matchup was the lowest viewed say a lot.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,553 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:04 PM

Wasn't trying to make it sound like it was a downward spiral but Nielsen ratings (however much stock you want to put in them) have been showing a slight decrease every year, playoffs too. The NBA will never be like the NFL, probably not even the MLB until it gets the courage to remove all the filler in the regular season and playoffs.

nbaatasgbreak.gif

The fact that the potential Finals matchup was the lowest viewed say a lot.

That's quite the disparity.  Also consider that the Lakers didn't even have Kobe when the Heat played them, that means more people tuned in to watch Swaggy P vs LeBron James than Kevin Durant vs LeBron James.   Speaks volumes about how box office the Lakers in general are even in their worst years and also how much the league needs them especially when neither LeBron or KD is as box office or viewer drawing as they hoped they'd be.   

Here's the thing, LeBron was his most watched when either there was the probability of a matchup with Kobe or when he was the "bad guy" that people didn't want to see win a championship once he went to Miami.    Soon as he won that title, people stopped caring.  It's as simple as that really and the only way they cared afterwards because they wanted to see Kobe vs LeBron in the finals.  THAT is the matchup everyone wants to see, that is the Sting vs the Undertaker at Wrestlemania that fans have been begging for.   Because of Stern they didn't get it.  

They were staying on the Lakers last year cause they were hoping they'd put it together because if the story goes the way it likely would have gone if the Lakers got CP3, this year would have 'more' likely been Kobe's last, as the reason he didn't retire was because of the injury and him wanting to get back after feeling last season was robbed from him and KD would have been coming along right about now and the Lakers would be going into this off-season with cap space anyway and going after another piece to pair with Chris Paul and likely Dwight(without the back injury as he'd have come over from Orlando likely mid season).     Kobe would have his 2 or 3 rings and he could retire gracefully.  KD would be coming on still right about now and it would be about him vs LeBron. 

But Stern didn't want that, he wanted to ensure deep down in a business sense that LeBron GOT his championships after using so much time hyping him as the everything.   After the Mavericks beat the Heat I'm sure Stern was sure in their 2nd year that Miami would win, but then that very off-season the Lakers land CP3 which puts that in jeopardy and then reports of Dwight not committing for Orlando, we knew how the story was going to end, Dwight was going to likely be next and we'd have sent Bynum to Orlando sooner or later or just moved along that season with Bynum anyway, and if we have CP3 instead of Ramon Sessions I don't doubt we likely beat OKC. 

But alas, it's way too far to think about what could have been now.  Fact of the matter is the league is a downward spiral at the moment and the Lakers are still one of their most watched teams and that graph puts it all into perspective really.  

The Lakers need to contend unless you have a Michael Jordan on another team that is owning the ratings and captivating the league and it's audience, and sadly, Durant ain't that guy, neither is "good guy" LeBron.    It's a shame but it is what it is, they aren't Kobe and he is whom the fans gravitate towards whether to love or to hate and the league robbed us of the Bird vs Magic scenario that saved the league when there was no "Jordan" just because they thought small market teams could be the new hype machine and that the Clippers somehow would be as box office as the Lakers just because they are in LA too :smh: 

Oh well.  

#11 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:18 PM

neither LeBron or KD is as box office or viewer drawing as they hoped they'd be.   

Here's the thing, LeBron was his most watched when either there was the probability of a matchup with Kobe or when he was the "bad guy" that people didn't want to see win a championship once he went to Miami.    Soon as he won that title, people stopped caring

This, and the NBA as much as they want to milk various players as superstars, they know these guys can't carry the league on their back. Lebron was a ratings monster as a villain, once he won it became just trivial even if people still root against them.

#12 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,334 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted April 20, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Regarding those xmas game ratings i think we also have to conclude many more people were off work, at home or with loved ones and available to watch those games (than a jan 29th one) as its become kinda like football on t-giving. Something to watch with family.

Look deeper into the numbers is all im saying.

Also the league has worked tirelessly (CBA) to make more teams competitive at the expense of just the glamour franchises.

Knicks have been awful as pointed out. As was chicago for many years after MJ.

Back in the day Stern was asked who he'd like to see in the finals best case scenario...he said "Lakers vs. Lakers" without missing a beat. I hate we're down now...but its much better for fans across the country to root for a competitive team in or near their own backyard with a chance at a title.

But it will affect ratings as casual fans won't tune in as much

Edited by kball, April 20, 2014 - 03:51 PM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:00 PM

A lot of the big stars being in small markets may be well and good for league parity and competition but when it comes to ratings and the league trying to overtake the NFL in terms of popularity (which I think will happen one day, especially with the global appeal of basketball) those big players need to be in big markets, simple as that. 

That'll be the day for Windu for sure.

yo.

#14 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Back in the day Stern was asked who he'd like to see in the finals best case scenario...he said "Lakers vs. Lakers" without missing a beat. I hate we're down now...but its much better for fans across the country to root for a competitive team in or near their own backyard with a chance at a title.

But it will affect ratings as casual fans won't tune in as much

That will always be the issue with the NBA, the NFL can afford a Superbowl of Seattle and Denver, or Indy and NOLA. MLB can manage franchises like the Card, Pirates or even SF making the World Series because those are ardent baseball franchises with so much history that even casual fans enjoy the tradition and mystique. How many casual fans would tune into a NOLA vs Indy NBA Finals, or a GSW vs WSH Finals, very few. The NBA's greatest franchises outside of SA are big markets, LA, Boston, NY (historically relevant), Chicago (forever associated with MJ), and Philly. None of which are contenders currently.

I agree it is good for 'true' fans to see their teams perform well, all the WSH, Indy, Dallas, even Charlotte fans (I'm sure they exist) , but that is a luxury that the NBA can't really afford happening year in, year out.

I keep saying this all the time but Silver shouldn't worry about the age limit, instead he should have the balls unlike Stern to realize the NBA needs to be concentrated instead of expanded, as well as removing such a ridiculous 82 game schedule.

• 40,431 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 04:12 PM

I keep saying this all the time but Silver shouldn't worry about the age limit, instead he should have the balls unlike Stern to realize the NBA needs to be concentrated instead of expanded, as well as removing such a ridiculous 82 game schedule.

I agree that the age limit shouldn't be #1 on the priorities list, but as I've said countless times, my #1 preference and arguably the easiest thing to do imo, is simply getting the best 16 teams record-wise into the playoffs regardless of conference.

I kinda like your idea of minimizing the 82 game schedule somewhat and see the potential positives in that, however, as a hardcore fan myself of both the Lakers and the NBA in general, I have to admit, that might be a little tough for me, lol.

yo.

#16 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,817 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:28 PM

I fully believe that we'd have at least 4 more losses if we didn't have so many nationally televised games. OKC, Clippers, Houston, etc. It just gave our guys some uncessecary confidence that might kill us in the end.

#17 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted April 21, 2014 - 06:09 AM

Even more proof who real MVP is! The NBA just not same without Kobe.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#18 lildvl10

lildvl10

Rookie

• 937 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted April 21, 2014 - 01:30 PM

does this mean we'll get the number 1 pick? lol heck, silver/nba better do their magic

#19 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,157 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted April 21, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Would like to see a best of 5 first round series again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users