#21 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted April 04, 2014 - 01:40 PM

computing.gif

This damn Gameday Thread.

tumblr_mn5rmkICTD1ro23r5o1_500.gif

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 01:59 PM

I respect both the fans that want to win games for the pride of this franchise and those that want to lose games in favor of a higher draft pick. Both intentions are fair and just.

However, you can't say you want X elite player from the draft and you also want to win the remaining games of the season. You have to prefer one because:

- As # wins increase - - > % for higher pick decreases

- As # wins decreases - - > % for higher pick increases

If the score is 105-105 Lakers vs. [Opponent] with 1 minute remaining, the individual already knows what they want. They either want the team to win for the team's deserving effort and pride, or to lose in order to increase the franchise's chances at a more valuable draft pick. There's no "I'm going to root for them anyways because it's not under my control." 

So so refreshing to hear you specifically say this. I honestly did not expect that from you, but I'm more than pleasantly surprised. Glad you could see it in such a logical way.

yo.

#23 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:20 PM

Cheering for a team isn't necessarily equal to wanting them to win. But you've stated you wanted the Lakers to win, so I'll assume that.

Begging for your team to lose or the players to fail is just plain wrong, in my opinion. 

Examples: A) 1st quarter: STOP MAKING SHOTS, MEEKS. GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM. 2nd quarter: NOOOOOO BAZEMORE, WHY YOU MAKE THAT 3? 

B) Kaman sucks. Someone needs to knock him in the head and tell him to stop making those easy buckets in the paint. Grrrrr.

I find that disrespectful and somewhat irritating during Gameday threads. 

- - -

We're at a point where every game will be very critical in terms of lottery positioning. The season is about to end and players want to finish it well, both because of individual contracts and because they won't be playing in the NBA for awhile since the Lakers are not making the playoffs. 

If you want Exum but you value the Lakers winning the rest of the games more, then I understand. Discussion over. 

But you can't value them equally. You can't state you want Exum and you want the Lakers to win the rest of the games. 

You keep mentioning how it's easy to cheer for the team (in this situation, want them to win) because the "reality is that this team will lose a lot more." Those kind of statements make it hard to believe that you truly want the Lakers to win because of the pride this franchise brings. If you want the team to win, you'll vouch for that every game regardless of the possible losses in the future. So what if the Lakers finish on a 7 game winning streak (even winning 3 games could mess our positioning) and fall to 8th-9th and miss out on Exum? Will you be happy with those wins? Or sad we didn't get Exum? Out of the two, which do you value more?

#24 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:28 PM

So so refreshing to hear you specifically say this. I honestly did not expect that from you, but I'm more than pleasantly surprised. Glad you could see it in such a logical way.

Haha, I always thought that way. 

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the wins we've had this season. It's just now we're at a critical point where every win/loss drastically affects lottery positioning, so I can't see how one can value a lottery pick and wins simultaneously. 

The best-case scenario for us was 4th-5th positioning, and there's still a chance for that.

#25 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 04, 2014 - 04:07 PM

And that chance isn't mucked up by cheering for your team. The team is going to decide that and I'm supporting them whether its 0-7 or otherwise.

Its up to Dallas if they want to win, they show up like the Suns did and its gonna be a bad day for them. And a measure of revenge.

Its all dependent, they lose leads for a living it seems.

Fact of the matter is I'm not going to adapt a mentality of "enjoying" losses.  No matter what it 'potentially' leads to.  I'll appreciate where we fall on draft day. 

But till then I'm going to be rooting for the team.  I'm never EVER going to be 'dependent on losses' so you can forget that ever happening.  

So I'll cheer my team and I will be happy when we win and I will be sad when we lose even if it's expected.  I'd be the same way if our team was 10-70 right now, I'd be rooting for us every game and celebrating when we win.    I'm never going to ever say "70 losses is a great thing!" It's just an example of how much further we have to go.  

Higher draft pick, great, but I'm not gonna start cheering losses.  I can follow the draft closely and predict that we'll likely go 0-7 but just because I think we'll lose all 7 games doesn't mean that I'm going to be cheering for it. 

Edited by Majesty, April 04, 2014 - 04:15 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#26 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 04:25 PM

You keep hovering around my arguments and not directly answering the questions I asked. No one told you to enjoy losses or cheer for losses. 

That was never said and not even implied anywhere.

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 04:30 PM

^ I officially now welcome you to my, Ham's, Mr.KnowItAll, & plenty of other dudes heres world's as it pertains to this discussion on this topic with Majesty, lol. You're getting now just a little glimpse as to our frustrations when debating this with him earlier in the season.

yo.

#28 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 04:44 PM

You keep hovering around my arguments and not directly answering the questions I asked. No one told you to enjoy losses or cheer for losses. 

You haven't.  But a certain other person(s) have a habit of telling people they really don't care about the Lakers future if they don't.  That isn't addressed to you.   

I actually agree with the majority of your post in pertaining to cheering for losses being despicable and disrespectful so why would I reply to that? I agree. 

And you miss my point on the team being bad.  

I know the team is bad, I know they're going to lose a majority of their game and I'm pretty confident they're high lottery bound.  

Right now I'm of the mentality that the team is bad.   Why do fans cheer the Bucks when they are beating on the Lakers or when they're beating Miami?   It's not because they don't want a draft pick but because they're going to cheer for their teams success even if the team is terrible and that's why I am doing. 

I'm fully aware that our team currently as stands is not a winning team but that's not going to stop me from cheering them, and I've come to grips with the reality that this team could go 0-7 but that isn't going to stop me from supporting them.  I don't have to "want" them to lose nor should I.  It's going to happen anyway, so rather than spend my time listening to Linkin Park after every win I'd rather support the team as I always have and cheer for them.  I want us to win 82 games, that doesn't change no matter who is in the lottery that year.  

I'm not going to root for failure, nor am I going to root for losses.   I'm very much within the right of cheering for my team to win games no matter how impossible the reality is while looking at the lottery because I know we're likely winding up with a high draft pick. 

Even the Cleveland fans relentlessly cheered for their Cavaliers teams, despite their losing streak, despite how terrible they were after LeBron left the fans stayed loyal and cheered regardless on who was in the draft.  There was no 'tank movement' mainly because the team also didn't have a choice.  They were a BAD team, their fans knew they were a BAD team, they cheered for them regardless as fans would.   

So I'm going to cheer for the Lakers just as I did when I first  started watching them.  I'm not "taking a year off" because of the lottery.   But I also understand how bad the team is and know they're likely going to lose games, at the same time I'll be rooting for them to win each one.  NOT because I don't want a lottery pick.    But because I'm a fan of the Lakers and cheer for their success and want them to go 82-0 every year.   I don't let the lottery dictate when I do and when I don't support their success, when cheer for them, or if want them to win.   

You have your way of "being a fan" and I have mine.  I'm going to cheer the loudest when they're winning and I'll be following the draft and the prospects closely.  You try to make it sound like you can't do both, you couldn't be more wrong.  

Do you think fido or West Coast don't know who's in the draft nor have their picks for who they would like the Lakers to draft should they get the chance.  At the same time do you think for one single solitary second they want the Lakers to constantly lose games?    

Exactly

Edited by Majesty, April 04, 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#29 Julien

Julien

Rookie

• 1,271 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Let's watch this!

Happy Bday Maj. ;-)

#30 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:27 PM

#31 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!

(I'll read/reply to your post later)

#32 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Good D by Kelly. Better O by Dirk.

#33 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,169 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Come on, defend the paint!

#34 MARATHON

MARATHON

Rookie

• 257 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:59 PM

C'mon nash what wss that

#35 MARATHON

MARATHON

Rookie

• 257 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Young pull up mid range good

#36 MARATHON

MARATHON

Rookie

• 257 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:03 PM

Sacre gotten a smig better

#37 MARATHON

MARATHON

Rookie

• 257 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Nice move mr wes

#38 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hmm, I want to like Johnson, but he sucks.

#39 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:07 PM

lakers need to get Brendan Wright

#40 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,079 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Thats the thing about Wes.. he shows flashes just like that he just needs to be consistent. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users