#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,120 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 01, 2014 - 01:58 PM

Just a little something to think about how standards have changed in the past 10 years for centers. 

Kwame Brown 2003-04: "Bust"
10.9 - 7.4 - 1.5 - 48.9% FG

Roy Hibbert 2013-14: "All-Star"
11.1 - 6.9 - 1.2 - 45.5% FG

My question is why is Roy Hibbert considered an all-star? is it because the East is that weak? We all know Kwame is a "bust" one of the few things he actually 'did' was defend in the post.  

But is it down to favoritism or does it show how weak the East has truly become? Or maybe centers in general within the east or does it show how low standards have dropped for centers in the past 10 years?  

Either way... it's something to think about. 

Thoughts? 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted April 01, 2014 - 02:13 PM

The offensive comparison is there, but the difference is defense.  Roy Hibbert is an elite defender.  Kwame Brown, as I recall, was an ok one on one defender, not much of a help defender. And had butter fingers for hands.

#3 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,822 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 01, 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hibbert is super over rated. He has to thank the heat for that, they make him look like KAJ. Its funny how if you told someone Hibbert's numbers they would never guess that they were his, but the truth is he is a seven footer that can't really score and he doesnt rebound at a high rate. He is a good shot blocker but that is about it.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#4 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,492 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 02:27 PM

That FG% on Hibbert really surprises me.

#5 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hibbert is super over rated. He has to thank the heat for that, they make him look like KAJ. Its funny how if you told someone Hibbert's numbers they would never guess that they were his, but the truth is he is a seven footer that can't really score and he doesnt rebound at a high rate. He is a good shot blocker but that is about it.

Hibbert has never been a great offensive talent.  He is a DPOY level post defender.  Vogel as taught him how to use his length to alter shots, and how to chest bump penetrating guards to knock them off course and alter their shots.  He has turned into a bruising defender.  Picking apart his offensive abilities is not meaningful ... whatever the Pacers get on that side of the court is just gravy.

#6 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,822 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 01, 2014 - 02:42 PM

Hibbert has never been a great offensive talent.  He is a DPOY level post defender.  Vogel as taught him how to use his length to alter shots, and how to chest bump penetrating guards to knock them off course and alter their shots.  He has turned into a bruising defender.  Picking apart his offensive abilities is not meaningful ... whatever the Pacers get on that side of the court is just gravy.

Yea I suppose, but the truth is people look at him as a good center because the league has become dearth of good centers. He is a good defender, but when he actually plays a center or big man that can bang down low and play he isn't nearly as good on defense that you would think. Watching him play some good bigs he can fall in foul trouble and just becomes useless on the other end of the court. Hibbert is good because the league lacks talented bigs not because he is a great player. So he plays defense, but doesn't rebound, score, or even play offense effectively. Hibbert does only one thing that a good center is suppose to do, right there that shows his success is attributed to the leagues lack of talent not because of his skill.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, April 01, 2014 - 02:44 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#7 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,675 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 01, 2014 - 02:47 PM

45% for a 7 -3 guy? even pau has a better percentage

#8 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 01, 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hibbert is an elite defensive presence and nothing special on offense. He never does much on the offensive end, but he also doesn't hurt that Pacers either. Kwame has been a net negative his entire career because his individual defense, which was solid, didn't make up for how abysmal he was on the offensive end. Could he body up against another guy one-on-one? Sure. But Kwame could never be an anchor like Hibbert has been for the Pacers over the last two years. That's the difference.

As far as the all-star berth is concerned, it was probably due to the lack of quality bigs out East.

#9 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted April 01, 2014 - 03:06 PM

To be fair, I've read Hibbert stats are actually due to the defensive system Indy employs. Something to do with spacing and how Indy's wings basically try to direct you Hibbert who is never in position to score or rebound, but just a defensive anchor. As well plays into the notion of keeping him healthy. It was an interesting read.

#10 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:06 AM

So maybe a more meaningful comparison is:

Marc Gasol- better offense, DPOY caliber brusing defender, $15m

DeAndre Jordan- ok offense, good rebounder, becoming an excellent defender, $11m

Dwight Howard- ok offense, well above average defense, $21m

Joakim Noah, very limited offense, great rebounder, almost DPOY caliber defense, $11m

Hibbert make $14m

Let's face it, there are not really any centers in the league any more that deserve max $. So  I think you have to look at what you get for the $.  I would buy elite level defense as cheap as possible, which means someone like Noah or Jordan would be at the top of my list.  Pekovic would be real interesting too.  Grab a defensive anchor guy like that and you still have enough to pay max $ to 2 stars and still fill out a roster.

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,692 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Difference is Hibbert averaged 20 and 10 in a playoff series against the Heat, while Kwame was a huge liability to have on the floor in that Suns series.

#12 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hibby is a defensive anchor nothing more.

Just because his offensive stats are comparible to Kuh-wah-may Buh-rowen's, doesn't justify belittling Hibby.

Edited by Lewd, April 03, 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,778 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 03, 2014 - 11:22 AM

But I thought Hibbert was better than Dwight?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#14 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted April 03, 2014 - 01:11 PM

^ You're such a tease, lol.

You're wrong, by the way. It's Bynum because post moving jump hook.

Edited by Lewd, April 03, 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#15 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 472 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted April 04, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hibbert is overrated. He only plays well against the Heat because they obviously don't have size.

He can barely score on Haslem.

• 40,400 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hibbert: 5 points, 1 rebound today in 34 minutes. Has Kwame even ever had as little as 1 rebound in that much playing time?

yo.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,120 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:07 PM

But I thought Hibbert was better than Dwight?

People only said that cause they thought belittling Dwight would make him leaving(if he did) feel a lot less painful. 

People may not like to admit it, but if Bynum was able to stay even the least bit healthy and had kept producing he'd likely have taken the starting job from Hibbert right now. 

Edited by Majesty, April 11, 2014 - 08:09 PM.

• 40,400 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Bk_YzRqIEAALl3U.jpg

yo.

#19 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Kwame Brown was the number 1 top overall pick which why people expect a lots from him but end up being short meanwhile Roy Hibbert is just a full of talk without an action but I'm not sure about Roy Hibbert cause he was pretty good in the early this season or probably his prime is done and becoming Pau Gasol 2.0.

33bkfif.jpg

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,120 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Kwame Brown was the number 1 top overall pick which why people expect a lots from him but end up being short meanwhile Roy Hibbert is just a full of talk without an action but I'm not sure about Roy Hibbert cause he was pretty good in the early this season or probably his prime is done and becoming Pau Gasol 2.0.

If that's the case, at 27 that'd be saddening

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users