Photo

Shabazz Napier: I go to bed 'starving', inspires UCONN to look to unionize (Post #6); With Northwestern ruling, college athletes soon getting paid?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

• 40,603 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 11:23 AM

I hear USC is one of the schools that may follow.

Do you guys think this can potentially be big?

I sure hope so. I've always felt they deserve some kinda compensation. Universities make way too much money off of them. It's bull[expletive]. Especially when it comes to football, these kids are out there arguably more than any other sport, risking their bodies majorly & potentially lives in a way.

Edited by    , April 09, 2014 - 02:42 PM.

yo.

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,344 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted March 27, 2014 - 11:30 AM

I sure hope so. I've always felt they deserve some kinda compensation. Universities make way too much money off of them. It's bull[expletive]. Especially when it comes to football, these kids are out there arguably more than any other sport, risking their bodies majorly & potentially lives in a way.

I agree, they sell the jerseys of the college athletics. the players should get a percentage of the check. I don't see a big problem with that 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,088 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 27, 2014 - 02:15 PM

What about the other student-athletes who play other sports? Yes, they don't generate as much as Football, but they still play and generate some type of revenue. I just think it will just cause more problems than solutions especially in the lower tier universities.

#4 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,458 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly are they going to get paid? Is there going to be a standard stipend per year played? Are better/more popular players going to get more money? Is it up to the schools to determine how much players will receive, and will that affect recruiting if a team offers a recruit more money to play for their school?

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:26 PM

If College players get paid, then they should have to pay their tutition

These people are admitted to great colleges, given many oppertunities, and have their classes paid for...

All students in college are broke...
I'm fine with student athletes making some money... But it's not near as bad as they (or South Park) makes it seems...

(If you haven't seen south parks take on student athletes in college, do your self a favor and watch the Crack Baby Assossciation, it's probably a better overview of the situation than anything else...)

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Shabazz Napier on unions: I go to bed 'starving'

Shabazz Napier recently told reporters he sometimes goes to bed "starving" because he can't afford food, despite that UConn's student-athlete guidelines include provisions for meal plans.

The remark got the attention of state lawmakers in Connecticut, who are now exploring legislative ways to allow athletes at UConn, a state institution, to unionize -- much like athletes are attempting at Northwestern University.

Rep. Matthew Lesser said he and other state lawmakers are considering legislation. Unlike at Northwestern, a private institution governed by the National Labor Relations Board, Connecticut law governs whether employees at a public institution can unionize.

"He says he's going to bed hungry at a time when millions of dollars are being made off of him. It's obscene," Lesser said. "This isn't a Connecticut problem. This is an NCAA problem, and I want to make sure we're putting pressure on them to treat athletes well."

Napier recently called the Northwestern union ruling "kind of great" and said that although he appreciates his basketball scholarship, it doesn't cover all of his expenses.

shabazz-napier.jpg

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,225 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 09, 2014 - 03:08 PM

It actually does sound like a UConn problem to me, cause there are grants for student-athletes at every school that provide the students with meals from school. Maybe he should be more aware of what's being offered to him.

I don't see student athletes as employees, so I don't believe they should be paid for playing a sport. They get priority registration in classes, get all the best benefits a school can offer, yet most of them skip classes and excuse themselves because of their sport. Yes, I'm generalizing it's just another stereotype, but I don't think they should complain, they've got it easy. Even the ones that don't go pro don't have to worry about student loan debt. Way too many of my friends are in debt $100k-300k+, depending on if they went to graduate school and where. Student athletes are handed their degree usually with zero debt. 

Sorry, but I just can't sympathize for student athletes as they have it the easiest out of all college students who don't come from families with money. 

#8 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,892 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 09, 2014 - 06:18 PM

The millions in revenue that big time college athletes generate for their school far outweighs that of a scholarship or a degree.
iyjywo.jpg

#9 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,615 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted April 10, 2014 - 10:38 AM

If a change is made, when is enough, enough? 

2hf753r.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 10:45 AM

^ When this man says so:

NSFW

yo.

#11 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,951 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 11, 2014 - 01:09 PM

If you get paid to play basketball doesn't that make it an on campus job? :D

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users