UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,931 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 07, 2008 - 06:10 AM

Folks, Joe Johnson is "that good".

For those of you that watched Game 4 against Boson last year, and saw Joe own the Celtics down the stretch in the 4th quarter, please note that that is the same Joe Johnson we are getting every night this year.

It's a long season, and the Hawks may struggle to win 45 games; but, if the Hawks are a 50 win team, then I promise you, Joe Johnson will be right there in the discussion.

At the end of games, there are few guys in the league that I would rather see with the ball than JJ.

Kobe, 'Melo (maybe), LeBron (but he needs free throw work), and that is literally about it.

If you think I'm blowing smoke, then all I can say is use your free access to the league pass on line this week-end and watch Joe and the Hawks take on the Raptors (Friday), and Thunder (Sunday).

Joe is amazing, especially down the stretch of games.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 07, 2008 - 08:43 AM

Cold day in hell when JJ is a serious MVP candidate with 50 wins in the east. If LBJ can't even seriously compete for an MVP with 50 wins in the east, JJ sure as hell won't. He's a good player, an all-star, but he's not an elite player in this league.

#3 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted November 07, 2008 - 03:46 PM

Good, not great yet.

#4 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted November 07, 2008 - 04:16 PM

"IMO"

#5 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 07, 2008 - 04:18 PM

No bro', you're right, and guy above me, he's definitely better than good, close to great or possibly already there. Honestly, I always get league pass so I actually have the privilege of watching this guy's games, especially this year cuz the Hawks are more legit, serious, and overall exciting. Joe Johnson is a beast. He can score from anywhere on the court and he usually plays real smart and tough in the clutch.

You said LeBron still needs to work on his free throws in his clutchness I think, which is definitely true, (shooting 70 something percent throughout his career) wow, but outside of that or inside, both, overall, he still needs to work on his outside shot more AND his post game. It's incredibly hard to believe he doesn't have more of a post game particularly with that beast body of his. Heck, Kobe has way more of a post game than him. LeBron's gotta' do better than what he's got right now. Don't get me wrong, still an absolutely fantastic player, but the three categories for him he'd need to work on most are those I just mentioned, free throws for sure, especially in the clutch, can we get a consistent outside shot finally, and a way better post game.

When I look at Kobe, I can hardly see any weak spots in his game to point at as much as I can LeBron.

Joe Johnson, to take the extra next level though, will definitely have to do something in the playoffs, at least get past the first round, then he should definitely start getting more props and even then another reason he's definitely perhaps highly underrated is because unfortunately the Hawks don't get much run in nationally televised games, but if they keep balling the way they are in this early season so far, they will, or at least they more than defnitely should.

I absolutely love Josh Smith's game by the way, God I wish we could've gotten' him for Odom, but that was more than wishful thinking by far and I know that, hah.

#6 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted November 07, 2008 - 04:56 PM

I have to agree with nameant, if Lebron isn't getting any love for doing IT ALREADY, how is Joe Johnson gonna get consideration for just barely doing it
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#7 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted November 07, 2008 - 11:40 PM

Yeh, they'll have to be a 50-win team for him to be in the discussion and I don't know if it might be this season or not.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#8 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,961 posts

Posted November 08, 2008 - 12:00 AM

JOe Johnson is a baller, I wished that when Joe was for trade that the Lakers would make a offer, like seriously if Boris Diaw was enogh I think Caron would of been good enough or even Luke

#9 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 08, 2008 - 08:52 PM

I don't think he's an MVP candidate. He's a great player, very underrated, but not MVP material.

#10 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,961 posts

Posted November 08, 2008 - 08:53 PM

I don't think he's an MVP candidate. He's a great player, very underrated, but not MVP material.

He doesn't have any flaws in his game at all, I don't see why people don't watch him more often

#11 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted November 08, 2008 - 08:55 PM

He doesn't have any flaws in his game at all, I don't see why people don't watch him more often

I think he has flaws, as every player does, I just haven't seen enough of him to judge what they are as of yet. Don't get me wrong, I love his game, he's a hell of a player, but if a guy like LeBron can't win MVP, if it takes Kobe more than a decade, then it'll next to impossible for Joe Johnson to win it by just winning 50 games. Now, 60-63 games and he'll have a case, but that's very unlikely.

#12 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted November 08, 2008 - 08:59 PM

But, to answer your actual question, Joe Johnson doesn't get much time on National TV; the Hawks are still the Hawks.

#13 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,961 posts

Posted November 08, 2008 - 09:02 PM

But, to answer your actual question, Joe Johnson doesn't get much time on National TV; the Hawks are still the Hawks.

No love for A-Town?

#14 Flash

Flash

Junior

• 283 posts

Posted November 08, 2008 - 09:41 PM

If season ended today, JJ would probably be MVP. Can JJ and the hawks sustain this level of play throughout the season? Doubtful.

#15 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,931 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 06:50 PM

21-10 after a road win tonight in Indiana.

I still don't know if there are 3 guys that I would rather have to close out a game than JJ.

No, he's not the MVP right now, but 21-10 is pretty amazing for a team that so many pundits "SOLD" after they lost Josh Childress in the off-season.

What was missed by so many, was that they replaced Childress with Mo Evans, and added Flip Murray to solidify their PG rotation, which had been greatly enhanced with last season's trade for Mike Bibby.

Throw in the continued development of Smith, Horford, and Williams, all signs pointed to an improved Hawks team in 2008.

Day by day, the Hawks are looking increasingly more like the #4 seed in the Eastern Conference.

**Edit** Flip is really a SG, but he handles the ball quite a bit, when he's on the court with Johnson.**

Edited by UKUGA, December 30, 2008 - 06:52 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#16 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,931 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 06:58 PM

:nervous: today? if the season ended today LBJ would be MVP no questions. joe johnson and the hawks have been good but not on LBJ and Cavs level.

That post was on 11/8, when the Hawks were still undefeated.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#17 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted December 30, 2008 - 11:32 PM

Why? Because Nike isn't hyping him up? His team is 21/10. He's averaging 23 pts, 5 reb, 6 assists. He's super clutch. He makes his teammates better. He plays defense.

IMO you replace Pierce with Joe Johnson you get the same result if not better in Boston.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#18 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 12:27 AM

Why? Because Nike isn't hyping him up? His team is 21/10. He's averaging 23 pts, 5 reb, 6 assists. He's super clutch. He makes his teammates better. He plays defense.

IMO you replace Pierce with Joe Johnson you get the same result if not better in Boston.

November 8th is the date from which you quoted me genius. Nearly two months ago when the season was barely starting. How was I to know that the Hawks would make a quantum leap from last season?

Any team can come off to a good start and then cool down. That's what I was expecting to happen to the Hawks. Apparently, I was wrong, and I acknowledge that now.

#19 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,747 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 31, 2008 - 12:49 AM

true, they only have one nationally televised game this year and it already passed (it was sometime this month against boston)

i don't know if you guys watched it or not, but he didn't play that well ending up with 6 for 16 shooting and he even missed a freethrow with less than a minute left which would've tied the game (they ended up losing by 3)!

too bad they don't show more of his games (the majority of which he plays a lot better than ^that game), because i have league pass also, and, aside from the lakers, the hawks are one of the teams i ALWAYS follow (the other teams i've been watching this year include the blazers, nuggets, and the nets)

he's got a sweeeeeeet jumper. he can fade, pull-up, face-up. it's nice.

Edited by androsays, December 31, 2008 - 12:52 AM.

2div

#20 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,128 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 02:47 AM

joe is one of my favorite players and i do think if he doesn't leave the suns they have 1 or 2 titles
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users