LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Lakers' Decision to not hire Phil Jackson a Family One

150133544-700x465.jpg

By Johnny Navarrette

LakerNation.com Staff Writer

While Laker fans are undoubtedly upset over the Phil Jackson making his way to the New York Knicks, it is important to remember that the situation is not on the shoulders of one particular member of the Buss family.

It is easy for everyone to point the finger at Jim Buss, the Executive Vice President of the Lakers as well as the main man running the basketball operations of the team, mainly citing the publicized ‘bad relationship’ between him and Jackson over the years.

In his article “No Phil Jackson shows Kobe Bryant doesn’t run Lakers”, Sam Amick of USA Today Sports, shed some light on the Lakers-Jackson situation including a bombshell:

This will all make for another great Lakers book someday, and maybe then we’ll find out if all the chatter is true that Jerry made Jim swear in his final days that Jackson would never return after he was gone…  It would shock no one, then, if it turned out that the senior Buss’ aversion to Jackson’s return was extended out of respect to their father from there.

Could Dr. Jerry Buss have been the driving force behind Jackson not returning to the Lakers? If true, does that change the perception of Jim Buss amongst fans who have no issue blaming him for the team’s troubles?

Friday afternoon on ESPN AM 710 in Los Angeles, Ramona Shelburne talked more in-depth about the dynamic surrounding Jackson not coming back to the Lakers, saying it was not only one of Buss children who had reservations about Jackson joining the franchise, but multiple Buss children that were uncertain about creating a role for the legendary coach.

According to Shelburne, the Buss children had ongoing discussions since December regarding the Jackson situation but with multiple members of the family against the change, it never reached a vote.  Additionally she mentioned it was a case of the family wanting to continue with the franchise structure their father left for them, instead of changing it a little over a year after his death.

In the end, was this simply a situation of children carrying out what their late father wanted?  While nothing has been confirmed directly (and it may never be), it is easy to understand how the family would go down this road in order to honor their father and his wishes.

Now with Jackson out of the picture, the Buss family can continue on the path laid out for them without the pressure of the fans calling for another figure head to take control of the purple and gold.

It is time for the Buss children to show what they can do.

http://lakernation.c...son-family-one/

#2 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Who brokered the Steve Nash 'trade' and hired Coach Mike D'Antoni when Dr. Jerry Buss was on his deathbed?

Case closed. 

I know he's got plenty of sycophants out there, but I'm not willing to take Jim Buss at his word if he's implying those 2 'genius' moves were at the behest of his late father.  

#3 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,388 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Also a key reason adding to Jerry West's aggravation when Jeanie and Phil started dating and became a couple. How would that impact the organization going forward. And here we are. Jeanie in a very tough position--the man she loves vs. the life she's always known.

Hope she finds peace but admittedly it ain't gonna be easy

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#4 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,646 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Stupid.
iyjywo.jpg

#5 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,183 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Who brokered the Steve Nash 'trade' and hired Coach Mike D'Antoni when Dr. Jerry Buss was on his deathbed?

Case closed. 

I know he's got plenty of sycophants out there, but I'm not willing to take Jim Buss at his word if he's implying those 2 'genius' moves were at the behest of his late father.  

For the 550,000,000th time, JERRY hired MDA, and I will be that you were excited when you heard we acquired Nash. I doubt you were "disappointed" when the news broke out. You are disappointed now because it did nto work out, but I am pretty sure you were happy when it first initially happened.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#6 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:09 AM

For the 550,000,000th time, JERRY hired MDA, and I will be that you were excited when you heard we acquired Nash. I doubt you were "disappointed" when the news broke out. You are disappointed now because it did nto work out, but I am pretty sure you were happy when it first initially happened.

You lose that bet, bigtime.  No, I was not 'excited' about the trade for Nash, because of 1) what the Lakers were giving up to get him and 2) the fact that their biggest problem at the PG position for *years* had been the lack of ability to stop or even slow down the elite PGs in the Western Conference.  The Nash deal did nothing to address that and - some would argue - actually made the situation worse.

Are you really sitting there suggesting that a HEALTHY Steve Nash of 2 years ago was going to be able to contend with Westbrook or Parker en route to the NBA Finals? 

My complaint about the D'Antoni signing - which is documented here on your forum - was that he'd overuse *Kobe*.  I HATE that I was right about that prediction. I did not anticipate that Nash would begin breaking down and certainly don't blame anyone for the injuries Nash has dealt with since becoming a Laker, but the 'freak' injury to Kobe was largely a function of the number of minutes he'd played to that point in the season. 

#7 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,705 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:12 AM

http://lakernation.c...-la-steve-nash/

look at all those happy folks

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,158 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:15 AM

Bottom line about Kobe is he played more elite minutes than any guard in the modern era. His demise was inevitable.

As far as Phil. Jim and others were sensitive to their father's wishes. Period

#9 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,422 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Massive mistake.

#10 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,881 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:40 AM

Again and again people. MDA was hired by JIM BUSS. This not my own opinion nor from what i have concluded from the media and sources, IT IS A FACT. I've mentioned that before, i know this for sure. Jim Jerry Buss wanted MDA and hired him ..

Did he make the biggest mistake ? Yes. Should people mention the incident every time ? Nope, move on. This business is about making good and bad decisions .. Move on ..

#11 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted March 16, 2014 - 11:40 AM

Doesn't matter. The [expletive] hit the fan and splattered on everyone's face.

#12 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,248 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted March 16, 2014 - 12:10 PM

My guess is Jerry wanted the franchise to stay within the family's hands. If Phil had come, he would have turned the franchise into his, and Jerry didn't want that. I'm fine with that, but Jim has to prove it was a wise decision by bringing home some championships.

Posted Image

#13 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Rookie

• 1,354 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 16, 2014 - 12:42 PM

Fantastic! Now can we move on?

#14 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 16, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Proof of the pudding ...

We know how this season turned out .. lets see how it pans out next year.

#15 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,853 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 16, 2014 - 12:57 PM

Just move on. Focus on the draft. All the signs point to MDA being gone next season. If he's not, then we'll worry some more.

#16 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,362 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 16, 2014 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for screwing the organization for a couple years with such stupid philosophy.

ap1.png

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,898 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 16, 2014 - 03:08 PM

Willing to bet once the fans come to grips with the reality of this they'll then desperately reach for the Steve Nash trade instead to try to hate Jim Buss for.

http://lakernation.c...-la-steve-nash/

look at all those happy folks

Edited by Majesty, March 16, 2014 - 03:09 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#18 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Rookie

• 1,354 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 16, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Why is it so hard for people to accept Jerry Buss pulled the trigger on MDA and most likely voiced his opinion NOT to regire PJax? Guess what? He's a gambler which mean he doesnt always make or choose the educated decision.

#19 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,588 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 16, 2014 - 04:07 PM

The Buss family is right up there with the Kardashian family for the stupidest family

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,898 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 16, 2014 - 04:12 PM

The Buss family is right up there with the Kardashian family for the stupidest family

350x700px-LL-e6d95df4_154f2xk.gif

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users