How Lakers might be able to rebuild during Kobe Bryant's last years

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:34 PM

I wonder how much Granger will get paid this summer - you round that out with Granger at $2.7 mil - that's a team

Edited by emplay, March 18, 2014 - 11:34 PM.

Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#22 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:35 PM

I'm betting Granger gets more - but maybe not - Clippers may pay to keep him

Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#23 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:36 PM

The math works - slightly - if the Lakers moved Nash out with the pick and brought back Asik/Lin

just a technical possibility

That would give the Lakers 

Lin/Marshall
Bryant
Bazmore
Love/Kelly

Asik/Sacre

The team could look to bring back Farmar, Henry and Wesley

but they'd say goodbye to Pau/Hill/Kaman/Young and probably Meeks.

Lakers would still have $2.7 mil to spend - then min contracts after that to flesh it out

Lin/Farmar/Marshall
Bryant/Henry
Johnson/Bazemore
Love/Kelly

Asik/Sacre

Add in 1 more solid player at $2.7 mil and 4 min players chosen wisely to complement.

Still have tremendous flexibility in 2015.

If we are sending out the 6th pick or worse i'd consider something like that.

Btw, being under the cap would allow us to use the full MLE - which could land us Ariza.

#24 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:39 PM

With Love re-signed in 2015 - it's just Kobe + Sacre - and $17 mil to spend to either keep Asik and Lin - or just 1 - or none of the above and go after another max player.

If Kobe retires before 2016/17 - Lakers have Love + a max player (or some combination of Asik/Lin) to try and tempt Durant.

All pipe - all unlikely - but a theoretical path

#25 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:40 PM

there's no MLE if you're under the cap

#26 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:44 PM

With Love re-signed in 2015 - it's just Kobe + Sacre - and $17 mil to spend to either keep Asik and Lin - or just 1 - or none of the above and go after another max player.

If Kobe retires before 2016/17 - Lakers have Love + a max player (or some combination of Asik/Lin) to try and tempt Durant.

All pipe - all unlikely - but a theoretical path

Any chance Lakers (and Houston) would actually do this?

there's no MLE if you're under the cap

True - but they'd be able to offer someone like Ariza 5-6 M/yr, which would be something to consider in your scenario.

#27 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:53 PM

there's no $5-6 mil for Ariza in my 2014 scenario - just 2.7 mil

#28 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 01:50 AM

there's no $5-6 mil for Ariza in my 2014 scenario - just 2.7 mil

Sure. But if you manage to put together that team - Lin, Kobe, Love and Asik, wouldn't Ariza - an elite wing defender and corner 3pt shooter - be someone who could tip the scale as opposed to re-signing Wes.

#29 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 01:57 AM

So if a team offers Ariza $6 million - he turns that away to take $2.7 mil with the Lakers - after how they treated him the last time?  Or even ignoring the last time - who takes $2.7 mil over $6 mil?

#30 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 02:51 AM

So if a team offers Ariza $6 million - he turns that away to take $2.7 mil with the Lakers - after how they treated him the last time?  Or even ignoring the last time - who takes $2.7 mil over $6 mil?

No, with what you propose we'd be under or right at the cap and we'd be able to use the full MLE worth about 6 million.

Treated him last time? Please. He thought he deserved a bigger role, the front office didn't, Ariza left and showed everyone that the front office was right.

Regardless, as much as I like your idea, I think you also have to ask the question whether those guys would be able to win anything. Sure, putting Lin-Kobe-FA-Love-Asik on the floor next season would be a massive upgrade over our current horror of a team, but are they really able to go all the way until 2016, when Kobe comes off the books or are they just a first/second round exit. What about Kobe’s health? What if Asik and/or Love leave in ’15 or ’16?

For those reasons I think it would be a mistake to give away the one chance we’ve had in a long time at getting a future star. Of course, if we end up with the 9th or 10th pick it’s a different story, but we’re much more likely to end up with a pick in the 4-6 area.

#31 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:19 AM

If the Lakers go under the cap - they won't have the full MLE - period.  I feel like I'm repeating myself.

#32 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 444 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:53 AM

our pick and Nash for Lin and Asik??? worst deal ever.

Lin sucks

Asik is ok, no more than that. And both are overpay.

Waive nash.

#33 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 10:13 AM

no it was Nash, 1st for Love, Lin and Ask

#34 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 444 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 10:33 AM

to do that deal the Lakers needs a 1-4 pick, and with his expiring contracts Lin, Asik, Love(Love can opts out) it's impossible to build a team.

This kind of deal is the same we did in the 2012 with Howard, Nash. No need to rush things, the next year is not a championship year.

Better keep that high pick, development, and wait for Love-Rondo in 2015 and a good coach (i hope Carslile).

#35 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 11:44 PM

to do that deal the Lakers needs a 1-4 pick, and with his expiring contracts Lin, Asik, Love(Love can opts out) it's impossible to build a team.

This kind of deal is the same we did in the 2012 with Howard, Nash. No need to rush things, the next year is not a championship year.

Better keep that high pick, development, and wait for Love-Rondo in 2015 and a good coach (i hope Carslile).

I think it's about looking at what options we have, see what pick we get and maybe roll the dice if we dont get "the right guy". If we landed the 6th pick, i think i'd see if we could work out a deal for Kevin Love. If we're picking 5th or better, i'd keep the pick.

Love-Rondo probably isn't happening, but taking on Asik and Lin wouldn't hurt our chances at persuing a Love-Rondo combination in free agency anyways - but it would give us the chance at a midseason deal.

The alternative to Lin-Asik would be Taj Gibson, who the Bulls need to move if they wish to make a run at Melo. Possible?

If nothing happens on that front there's always the chance to do a s/t using Gasol.

Kendrick Perkins and a first rounder (OKC have two)?

Z-bo?

Tayshaun Prince, Jon Leuer and Kosta Koufos?

Millsap-Korver?

Bargnani and Shumpert.?

I know, Perkins and Bargnani, aren't exactly the most exciting additions to the team, but since they're expiring deals it wouldn't hurt our chances at K-Love so they're basically just the key to getting an asset like Shump or a extra pick.

#36 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 444 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:56 AM

i'd prefer A. Blatche, Brendan Wright (Dallas) or Monroe.

#37 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,467 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 04:49 AM

i'd prefer A. Blatche, Brendan Wright (Dallas) or Monroe.

Honestly, i think A. Blatche is a guy we should go after - he's very productive considering what'll he'll demand in salary. Brandan Wright is productive but will probably stay in Dallas.

Monroe is interesting. He'll certainly be a nice piece to have and depending on who we draft i think he's a guy we could go after. The problem, other than the fact that Detroit probably wont let him go, is that he'll demand a little bit too much money. On the other hand, we might be able to use him as a means to get Kevin Love.

Another guy we should go after:

Carlos Boozer - who'll get his ass amnestied in the offseason

Edited by DanishLakerFan, March 21, 2014 - 04:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users