How Lakers might be able to rebuild during Kobe Bryant's last years

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 01:48 PM

This isn't necessarily MY plan - this is how the Lakers would need to approach the offseason if they're thinking win now - as Kobe all but demanded Wednesday

Thanks!

Eric

Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#2 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,021 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 17, 2014 - 10:44 PM

This isn't necessarily MY plan - this is how the Lakers would need to approach the offseason if they're thinking win now - as Kobe all but demanded Wednesday

Thanks!

Eric

A completely ridiculous rebuilding plan, imo.

You dont trade the chance of getting a potential HOF player for ....anyone basically. Especially when you can sign that guy in free agency in a year. Also, using the stretch on Nash doesn't make sense either, since that cap-figure will be a problem going forward. Considering Kobe's 25 million last year and Nash's 3.3 salary if he's waived (a combined 5 million on top of next years salary) it's better just to keep him and prepare for 2015. In general, there's no quick fix. But you can give yourself a puncher's chance and keeping options open going forward.

My plan.

1) Get a good pick.

2) Do a s/t with Pau getting back asset and perhaps an expiring. Hell, Kendick Perkins and one of OKCs first round picks would get it done. Or Bargnani-Shumpert. Or just for Z-Bo, if possible. Even a package like Tayshaun Prince, Kosta Koufos and Jon Leuer.

3) Use as much as possible on free agents this summer, while keeping 17 million in cap-space in 2015. That would be around 10 million.

4) For those 10 million sign someone like Ariza or Kyle Lowry and keep as many of our current guys as possible.

Realistically, if we drafted Smart, managed to do the Z-bo trade and signed Ariza we'd be able to put Smart-Kobe-Ariza-Zbo-Hill on the floor next season - not a contender, but someone who'll get all opponents fits and bruises and we'd have a puncher's chance.

In 2015, Nash and Z-bo is off the books, and we'd be able to replace Zbo with Kevin Love. Have the full MLE for a big.

In 2016 we'd be able to add another max. Durant?

Perhaps not Kobe's ideal situation in 2015, but once he signed that deal, his opinions seized to really matter in that regard.

#3 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 10:47 PM

didn't say it was my plan - it's the win now plan for Kobe - if they decide to go that sort of direction.

Also far, far more likely than anything else - the draft pick doesn't pan out to be special and Love doesn't come in free agency.  Not saying what Lakers should or shouldn't do - but easy to say franchise player and Love comes when opposite is far, far more likely

Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,021 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:09 PM

didn't say it was my plan - it's the win now plan for Kobe - if they decide to go that sort of direction.

Also far, far more likely than anything else - the draft pick doesn't pan out to be special and Love doesn't come in free agency.  Not saying what Lakers should or shouldn't do - but easy to say franchise player and Love comes when opposite is far, far more likely

That's true, but doing those two specific things are quick-fixes to a situation that can't be solved that easily. Also, Love could still walk in the summer, which would leave us with nothing.

We need the draft and we need to do the s/t for an expiring deal and then have a season where we play to win - opposed to this horror of a season - and then go into free agency in 2015 with money to spend. If Love doesn't sign here, fine, we go after Asik and Millsap instead, and then wait another year for Durant.

We cannot be the Knicks who in a ridiculous panic-move signed Amare to a horrid contract that keeps haunting them.

And why i my rebuilding plan all that bad?

#5 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:11 PM

I wouldn't expect a similar situation with Love - perhaps he opts in as part of the trade - perhaps an extend and trade.

I'm not going to say "Love leaves" is the reason the trade doesn't work.

S&T of Pau - can't count on that - all Pau has to do is go sign with a team with cap room and then what?

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,021 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:28 PM

I wouldn't expect a similar situation with Love - perhaps he opts in as part of the trade - perhaps an extend and trade.

I'm not going to say "Love leaves" is the reason the trade doesn't work.

S&T of Pau - can't count on that - all Pau has to do is go sign with a team with cap room and then what?

I'm not counting on anything with regards to Pau, but considering the teams he might want to play with - like OKC, NY, Memphis etc. - i think a s/t is very possible since most of these teams are over the cap. Of course, if he wants to sign in Cleveland for 15 million we can't do much about it, but i'm not sure if that is what Pau has in mind. Depending on who we draft we might even consider keeping Pau around - like if we drafted Aaron Gordon or Noah Vonleh.

But our overall objective, in my opinion, should be to rebuild the right way. No quick fixes and no overpaying for anyone just to make Kobe happy in the short term. He is actually the whole reason why this rebuilding process is so difficult with that albatros of a deal.

#7 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:33 PM

that wasn't the premise of the article  - which, as I said, doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion - but what kind of moves to make if they do try to win now.

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,021 posts

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:51 PM

that wasn't the premise of the article  - which, as I said, doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion - but what kind of moves to make if they do try to win now.

That's true.

What your take, then?

Edited by DanishLakerFan, March 17, 2014 - 11:51 PM.

#9 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:21 AM

too early for me to make a "plan" for Lakers - need to see the tourney - need to see what pick number they get - I'm open to trading the pick but also curious to see the players.  

#10 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,922 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 18, 2014 - 12:29 PM

My BOLD (extra emphasis on BOLD! Haha) off-season prediction

1. Lakers sign Melo via free agency
2. Lakers trade the #1 pick + pieces to the TWolves for K. Love and their 10-15 pick.
3. Since Pelinka is blue-balling the league save for the Lakers, Exum falls into our lap on draft day

16900d1355168295-7-theories-time-would-m

2div

#11 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 12:32 PM

While it's technically possible for Lakers to have Melo, Love and Kobe - Melo would need to take a very steep discount to make that happen - also - Nash would have to go out in trade instead of stretch to maximize the $ to Melo. 

Odds of all that are tiny

#12 androsays

androsays

• 4,922 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Again, emphasis on bold... Haha

Plus didnt Mitch and Jim say they aren't worried about the luxury tax? Pay Melo, re-up Love in 2015, and pay the price til Kobe retires in 2016

2div

#13 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 12:58 PM

luxury tax isn't the issue - it's cap room to make the kind of moves you're talking about

#14 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 565 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:24 PM

waive nash, and make a new deal with kobe, for not playing this season.

#15 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:27 PM

waiving nash outright doesn't save any $ or open up spending - no new deal for kobe 

#16 androsays

androsays

• 4,922 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:08 PM

I stand corrected

The post did have a bold disclaimer on it, read at your own peril haha. Just delusional wishes of a spoiled Laker fan

2div

#17 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,021 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:08 PM

too early for me to make a "plan" for Lakers - need to see the tourney - need to see what pick number they get - I'm open to trading the pick but also curious to see the players.  

How about facilitating Melo going to Houston by taking on Lin and Asik's deals. Those guys would fit well with whoever we draft and wouldn't hurt us in the persuit of Kevin Love in 2015.

#18 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:20 PM

If the Lakers want Lin and Asik - if they can get rid of Nash in a deal somehow - that's interesting and something I've written about here and there - we'll see

#19 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 5,021 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:27 PM

If the Lakers want Lin and Asik - if they can get rid of Nash in a deal somehow - that's interesting and something I've written about here and there - we'll see

I'm not a fan of moving Nash. I mean, what's the point. Signing someone with that extra cap space will just cut into the cap space in 2015, where i'm assuming we are gunning for Kevin Love. Of course, if they wish to make a push next season it would give them an extra couple of millions to spend, but then they could use the stretch.

I suppose if you landed Jabari Parker, it would make sense to get someone like Lin and Asik and then move/stretch Nash to create space for an elite wing defender like Ariza or Deng. Lin-Kobe-Ariza-Jabari-Asik with most of our current bench would be fun - not a contender, but easily playoff team.

#20 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:34 PM

The math works - slightly - if the Lakers moved Nash out with the pick and brought back Asik/Lin

just a technical possibility

That would give the Lakers 

Lin/Marshall
Bryant
Bazmore
Love/Kelly

Asik/Sacre

The team could look to bring back Farmar, Henry and Wesley

but they'd say goodbye to Pau/Hill/Kaman/Young and probably Meeks.

Lakers would still have $2.7 mil to spend - then min contracts after that to flesh it out

Lin/Farmar/Marshall
Bryant/Henry
Johnson/Bazemore
Love/Kelly

Asik/Sacre

Add in 1 more solid player at $2.7 mil and 4 min players chosen wisely to complement.

Still have tremendous flexibility in 2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users