Photo

Sony PlayStation 4′s Long-Rumored Virtual Reality Headset to Be Announced Next Week

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,283 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted March 12, 2014 - 08:47 PM

sony-vr-headset.jpg

If you have heard of Oculus Rift then you must have an idea of what it is and that it will battle Microsoft’s Xbox One and Sony’s PlayStation 4. For those who haven’t heard of it, Oculus Rift is a next-gen virtual reality headset for use with video gaming. Is this something that will make Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo a run for their money in the upcoming E3 2014? Sony’s got an answer to this however and no need to wait for E3.

With the upcoming Game Developer’s Conference in San Francisco next week, Sony will “unveil” something that they call “innovation at PlayStation and the future of gaming”. You guessed it right most probably. It is Oculus Rift’s competitor. According to TechRadar, a reliable inside source told them last month that the VR headset has already been in the works and is actually going to be ready soon enough. It was originally intended to be announced either Gamescom or Tokyo Gameshow last year but it didn’t happen. Sony stated that they wanted to make sure that before they finally announce the device, it should be pretty much well polished already.

Sony already have a fair share of this type of devices but this is the first virtual reality headset that is going to be dedicated for gaming purposes. Mark Cenry, PS4’s lead system architect stated that virtually reality is going to be the next big thing and possibly, going to be the main focus of big-game producers for the following decade as it is presenting a significant impact with the coming months and years in the video game industry.

Some rumors also say that Sony is also planning demo some virtual-reality games in the upcoming E3 event as well and this is probably a prompt reply to Oculus Rift’s statement about PS4 being too limited with their headset along with Xbox one which also has something in the works called “Fortazela”

Edited by Bjork, March 12, 2014 - 08:49 PM.

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,869 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted March 12, 2014 - 08:49 PM

I've been eagerly awaiting the Oculus Rift. I will definitely be paying attention to Sony's response next week. VR may be the future of gaming imo.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,117 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted March 14, 2014 - 01:24 PM

I dont know about the "future of gaming".   They said the same thing for this 3D tv stuff and guess what happen to 3D tv? 

I am not interested in this VR stuff.  Most gamers only care about the actual gameplay not being in a Matrix movie.  But hey, i could be wrong. Who knows.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,722 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 14, 2014 - 02:27 PM

If the headset is wireless, i'm down.

2div

#5 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,869 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted March 14, 2014 - 06:29 PM

I dont know about the "future of gaming".   They said the same thing for this 3D tv stuff and guess what happen to 3D tv? 

I am not interested in this VR stuff.  Most gamers only care about the actual gameplay not being in a Matrix movie.  But hey, i could be wrong. Who knows.

Well I'm not saying it could affect the future of gaming because everyone else is saying it, but rather from my own personal experiences. Why speak on behalf of other gamers when we can only speak for ourselves?

When you put on a virtual reality headset, it almost creates a "6th sense," it is an experience that you cannot put into words. You become immersed within a different world, something that 3D televisions and gaming cannot accomplish. Because you are immersed into another world, there are an array of emotions and sensations to experience. Take the VR roller coaster demo for example. When you actually drop down a slope, you feel the effects in your stomach as if you were actually riding a roller coaster! Also consider a friend who attempts to talk to you while you are VR gaming. Many describe the experience as hearing God talk to them in their head. It is really a unique experience, which is why it is actually recommended that you sit down the first time that you play in VR (so that you don't fall over).

3D gaming cannot accomplish such feats.

The only thing that has ever held virtual reality back is:

1) cost

2) mobility

3) resolution

All of these issues have been, in large, addressed. The most latter issue is still a concern to some people, but can only improve over time.

It will be interesting to see what VR does for gaming, and if not gaming, for other areas of life (VR astronomy, VR history, VR military/police force training). If Sony and the Rift do not live up to their expectations within the current decade, I would be willing to bet that VR will advance into something spectacular within the next decade.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#6 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted March 15, 2014 - 01:57 AM

I feel dizzy just looking at it, imo.

#7 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,117 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:52 AM

I feel dizzy just looking at it, imo.

ANd this is the reason why I dont think this will work. 

Take a look at the 3d experienced shall we?  Two years ago they were talking about bringing out a tv that do 3D.  They expect everybody will buy it because its cool and will have great experienced.   I for one hate 3D.  I went to a couple of 3d movies at an Imax theatre and I get headaches and my eyes were tired.  They don't understand that not everybody's eyes can enjoy 3D.  Heck, some people weren't even allowed to see 3D.   It will damaged their eyes if they do.   This is not like HD revelation here.  HD doesn't cause people to have headaches. HD doesn't cost people to have damaged eyes.   THats why HD works. 

Now im not saying VR is not going to work. Im just saying not everybody will enjoy it because it will eaither make them dizzy or nausiated.  Everybody's eyes are different. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#8 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,177 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Well, I don't think it would replace console gaming anytime soon, but will def. be an accessary 

ap1.png

#9 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,283 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted March 18, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Sony Officially Unveils VR Headset ‘Project Morpheus’

Sony-Project-Morpheus-VR-Headset-Close-U

In a gaming landscape where the Oculus Rift has inspired many to wonder what's next, Sony aims to capture a bit of that magic for itself with its own brand of immersive headwear. It's not the first Sony headset: in fact, they've had non-gaming models for years. This, however, is Sony's entry to VR gaming in the way that we've come to imagine since Oculus Rift. And unlike the Oculus, Project Morpheus looks like it's PS4-only.

Project Morpheus, as it was unveiled at the Game Developers Conference panel in San Francisco tonight, is smaller than Sony's existing HMZ line of headset. The design looks more like a final product than the still-in-prototype Oculus Rift, with glowing blue LED lights and a Tron-like vibe. But that doesn't indicate how good it actually feels, comparatively speaking. The first demos of Project Morpheus will be given tomorrow morning, so we'll know more then.

According to Richard Marks from Sony R&D, the plans for Project Morpheus reach beyond gaming, to promised partnerships with NASA and use cases for immersive science. Similar far-reaching use cases have been discussed for Oculus Rift, and in fact for most VR technologies.

0a136600-ae2f-48f5-b8c5-16142e7dd67e.jpg

How do you control yourself while using Project Morpheus? Well, with the controllers that Sony already has: the PlayStation Eye, DualShock 4 controller, and Move. The Move, according to Marks, is already a very good VR controller. It actually could be, based on its accuracy and fine-tuned level of tracking.

The Project Morpheus devkit Sony's current using has a 1080p display and a "90+ degree" field of view. It boasts position and rotation head tracking, three-meter working volume, 360 degrees of movement, and the ability to use DualShock 4 and Move controllers simultaneously.

Sony already has some developers on-board and working on experiences with Project Morpheus, including heavy hitters like Crytek and Epic. That's good news, and exactly what Sony will need to make its VR gaming technology succeed.

Some of the demos being shown at GDC include Eve Valkyrie -- one of Oculus Rift's killer apps -- as well as the recent Square Enix game Thief, and immersive experiences that look like they involve castles and sharks.

ece8b709-7710-4f15-bf2f-12d0766cc86f.jpg

Edited by Bjork, March 18, 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#10 Danny

Danny

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:49 PM

Damn, they sound sick

#11 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,437 posts

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:35 AM

I think it has the potential to be the future of gaming, but I'm not sure in how long. Content is always going to be king to move units.

Def want to try it out though once its released.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users