Photo

Rick Fox Says Lakers Were "Arrogant" In 04 Finals Loss vs. Detroit Pistons, Talks About Going From Celtics To Lakers, Kobe/Shaq Dynamic, Etc.

GRANTLAND

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

• 40,395 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 02:35 PM

9:20-11:29 - Talks about the process of how he was let go by Celtics & went on to join Lakers.

12:13 - Talks about why he hasn't written a book about his Laker experiences yet & talks a little about Phil & his books.

12:42-14:09 - Talks about the Kobe/Shaq dynamic through his eyes & experience.

14:20 - Thinks Fisher is maybe just trying to outlast Kobe as far as longevity in the league.

14:42 - Shares how much longer he thinks Kobe will stay around for & what are some of his goals.

15:40-17:08 - Talks about his 03 & 04 Laker years & the Detroit Pistons series. Felt Lakers were definitely arrogant & even after Kobe's bail-out game 2 winner. Also Malone injury.

Edited by    , March 11, 2014 - 04:17 PM.

yo.

#2 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 760 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Rick Fox is a Laker role player legend.

How would you rank em?

Fisher

Horry

Scott

Fox

Cooper

Rambis?

• 40,395 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 04:33 PM

^ Honestly, I'm more of an expert with the Kobe/Shaq guys than the Magic/Kareem/Worthy guys so I'll only more confidently answer for those three, although even then, it's not that easy a call for me.

I would say Fox had a little more of an impact throughout the course of a game than Horry, but at the same time, Horry often seemed to come through more in the clutch over Fox, which matters a ton as well. Fox was a solid player on BOTH ends of the court as was Horry. Fisher, even when younger, his defense was still not all that, but again, even in Fisher's case, he as we know, had that big time big moment big shot clutch ability as well,

but then the fact that Fisher still stayed with us longer and into the Kobe/Pau years helping us with those other two rings, that has to count for something as well.

All in all because of that, I'd say Fisher, Horry, then Fox, but if we're speaking purely their prime years with us, then Horry, Fox, & Fisher.

yo.

#4 Julien

Julien

Rookie

• 984 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2014 - 05:27 PM

His daughter used to attend the school I teach in.
Never met him but my co-workers told me he's a cool guy.

#5 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,576 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted March 11, 2014 - 06:35 PM

How would you rank em?

Fisher

Horry

Scott

Fox

Cooper

Rambis?

What about Ron Artest, Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Cedric Ceballos, Horace Grant, Norm Nixon, Ron Harper, Glen Rice, Jamaal Wilkes, A.C. Green, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelsen, Slater Martin, Andrew Bynum,Gail Goodrich and Vlade Divac?

• 40,395 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 08:03 PM

^ Most if not all of those guys were good to great in their own right at times, but most of them don't match up with the other names listed.

Van Exel & Jones for instance might probably pure talent-wise, but since they weren't a part of any Laker championship teams, I don't count them in the same level as the first 6 mentioned.

Glen Rice also was pretty damn good quite obviously as non-Laker, but when he came here and was part of some of the championship glory, he wasn't quite the Glen Rice either from his Charlotte best days.

& I don't think Vlade Divac should've been considered a role player, nor Ceballos, nor Nixon, nor Wilkes, nor Goodrich. All those guys were known as some of the lead dogs in their time with the Lakers so...

yo.

#7 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,789 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 12, 2014 - 12:24 AM

Great interview,thx Cano. Grantland is a great channel but I can't process Bill Simmons. Ugh...

Impossible is nothing.

#8 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:23 AM

Really good interview. To be honest i foudn it more interesting listening about his Celtic years. 

Laker fan for life.

#9 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,551 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:55 AM

I like Rick, he's laid back and has a good sense of humor. Don't know if you guys have seen him on the YouTube show Jake and Amir, just acting a fool. Craziness lol

#10 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,922 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:20 AM

David Stern and the refs were pretty arrogant during the 2004 Finals, too. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#11 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,512 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:39 AM

this defense was a thing of beauty to watch, i give pistons defense a lot of credit - even if lakers were all healthy and on the same page, i think this defense was designed for a real big upset and would still probably find a way to win or at least really challenge the lakers

bw1wOGf.png

• 40,395 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Really good interview. To be honest i foudn it more interesting listening about his Celtic years. 

Sometimes despite nostalgia, the unknown is more interesting. Makes sense.

David Stern and the refs were pretty arrogant during the 2004 Finals, too. 

They had to find some way to stop our dynasty, lol.

yo.

#13 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,068 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted March 12, 2014 - 02:18 PM

How would you rank em?

Fisher

Horry

Scott

Fox

Cooper

Rambis?

Tough to rank those guys but id say Cooper was the most valuable of the bunch. Then B Scott. The others are lumped together in a pick'em

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick!, 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users